New Proposed Unt Football Stadium

I would say 40,000 is the bare minimum or we really don't need a new stadium. I think 45,000 is the magic number to start with.

I complete agree with this statement, and I do believe that we should build a new one no less than 45,000, but I am afraid, as others have stated, that this AD is content with building a new stadium at 30,000 with an option to build more in the future, and I think that is weak. But then again I seem to be one of only about 10 on this board that really think we are in trouble with our current group of folks we have running our AD.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is why I say when it comes to athletics then UNT is a "can't do university" in my opinion. Its tough for me to say that but I have to accept reality.

It is certainly hard to deny when we have this large of a University, set in the heart of North Texas, with as many alumni as we have, and can't raise enough money to build a new stadium when it seems like the entire fan base is on board with it, but as you said, I probably need to accept that reality.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

Guest GrayEagleOne

Are the plans complete and we actually know that there are only 30,000 seats? Even if it were true that would be a tremendous improvement over Fouts because Fouts has about 20,000 desirable seats.

We do not need a stadium that seats 45 or 50 thousand seats at this time. Our largest crowd at Fouts was less than 30,000. We won't need them for the SBC, where only two conference opponents are less than 450 miles away. Most of the games that might fill it will be diffifult to schedule primarily because Texas, OU, Arkansas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech have other games in the area at present. Thirty thousand is adequate for Houston, Tulsa, SMU, TCU, Rice, and UTEP. Besides, the big draws are not going to come here on a consistent basis.

Personally, I was hoping for about 34-35 thousand in order to possibly separate us from others seeking a higher-ragarded conference and, we might still get that. However, I will understand if it is less. It will be easier to expand a 30,000 seat stadium to 50,000 if there are a few sellouts. The more seats the less chance for expansion.

A thirty thousand seat stadium is not shortsightedness when planned expansion is built in; only when it was expectd to grow no larger.

Guest 97and03

It is certainly hard to deny when we have this large of a University, set in the heart of North Texas, with as many alumni as we have, and can't raise enough money to build a new stadium when it seems like the entire fan base is on board with it, but as you said, I probably need to accept that reality.

You mean all 30 people that regularly post of GMG? Yes, we love the idea!

Are the plans complete and we actually know that there are only 30,000 seats? Even if it were true that would be a tremendous improvement over Fouts because Fouts has about 20,000 desirable seats.

We do not need a stadium that seats 45 or 50 thousand seats at this time. Our largest crowd at Fouts was less than 30,000. We won't need them for the SBC, where only two conference opponents are less than 450 miles away. Most of the games that might fill it will be diffifult to schedule primarily because Texas, OU, Arkansas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech have other games in the area at present. Thirty thousand is adequate for Houston, Tulsa, SMU, TCU, Rice, and UTEP. Besides, the big draws are not going to come here on a consistent basis.

Personally, I was hoping for about 34-35 thousand in order to possibly separate us from others seeking a higher-ragarded conference and, we might still get that. However, I will understand if it is less. It will be easier to expand a 30,000 seat stadium to 50,000 if there are a few sellouts. The more seats the less chance for expansion.

A thirty thousand seat stadium is not shortsightedness when planned expansion is built in; only when it was expectd to grow no larger.

30K not happy, 35K happy....even if we were to start selling 30k seats in a few years, just how long do you think it would be before it was expanded?.....my guess...many years, if ever. I just hope whatever they do (size wise) they at least do it right and save the end zone for expansion seats....and put a deck on the stadium....and build a restroom...and have dancing girls....getting off track again.

Some of the things posted about the "new" stadium really serve no purpose than to get folks all "testy". My guess is that the stadium will be opened with a 30,000 or so capacity, but will be designed and built for ease of expansion. Look folks, if the thing hold 30,000 and we get 24,000 in there it looks pretty darn full...built for 50,000 and there are 24,000 seats filled it STILL looks bad! Why do you think the soccer folks who are building soccer specific pro stadiums around the country ala FC Dallas' new home in Frisco build them in the 25-30,000 range? OK, I know I have left myself open to some "soccer bashing" here, but the facts are the facts...a full stadium of any size looks better than a half empty one...well, not just any size, but you get my drift here, right?

I still wonder why the university gets so little financial and attendance suypport from its own students, the local community and the local DFW area alumni? I do not want to start that "talk" again...we have been through it time and time again...but, it is a real puzzle to me. I tend to think UNT students and alumni have some personal "cahllenges" when it comes to connecting with their school. Many students at UNT seem to think it's not "cool" to support the school and that type of attitude tends to bleed over to the alumni. Could it have something to do with the high number of "artsy" folks UNT has? I have never felt that the music school folks do much outside their own little area...even within the music dept itself...and the art, drama, performance folks tend to be "too cool" for such things as athletics?

I am probably 1000 miles off here...I hope for sure that I am...but how many folks on this board are music, art, drama majors? I don't know...OR...is it the lack of a strong fraternity/sorority system on capus that hurts? Don't know that either, but when I was an undergrad (1966-1970) the administration did everything it could to limit the Greek system. Other Universities I have attended with strong Greek systems tend to have much more participation from their studemnts and then, as aresult, from their alumni. I really don't know, and again am just wondering....

Just simply some thoughts to ponderas I do not mean to "throw rocks" at any group of students or alumni. I simply am wondering.

But, the good news....I do think the times they are a changing....I see signs that the student body is awakening (I said awakening, not awake) and that interest is growing within the alumni base...Hope so...what say you?

I think it boils down to numbers in money. Its just a lot more smarter to build it big now and for the future than to build and settle now and expand later. Its just a no brainer. With the history of NT there wont be any expansion unless they are the next USC or something. So we might as well take advantage of it now and build it right but once we have this...its going to be another 50+ years before anything is done to that new stadium.

I think it boils down to numbers in money. Its just a lot more smarter to build it big now and for the future than to build and settle now and expand later. Its just a no brainer. With the history of NT there wont be any expansion unless they are the next USC or something. So we might as well take advantage of it now and build it right but once we have this...its going to be another 50+ years before anything is done to that new stadium.

Really? Take advantage of what? The money pouring out UNT's ears? The HUGE fanbase that we have right now? The fabulous records we've obtained the past few years?

UNT will be revitalized with any sort of positive steps RIGHT NOW. 30k is perfect for now. Think of fouts, but more intimate, and closer to the action.

With the history of NT there won't be any expansion because we can't fill 30k in fouts RIGHT NOW. If we are the next USC then we would have to have the room because of our record. It's a no brainer to build now and think of the future. (easily expandable)

Really? Take advantage of what? The money pouring out UNT's ears? The HUGE fanbase that we have right now? The fabulous records we've obtained the past few years?

UNT will be revitalized with any sort of positive steps RIGHT NOW. 30k is perfect for now. Think of fouts, but more intimate, and closer to the action.

With the history of NT there won't be any expansion because we can't fill 30k in fouts RIGHT NOW. If we are the next USC then we would have to have the room because of our record. It's a no brainer to build now and think of the future. (easily expandable)

Well then to be frank with you MeanMag, NT has no business and dont deserve getting a new stadium then if NT doesnt try to change the culture and have a 40K student unversity mostly fill a 40K-50K stadium. LETS KEEP FOUTS!!!!

It really bothers me that after several decades of stadium talk the new proposed stadium is going to be set at 30,000 seats, yet expandable to 50,000 seats, whenever that happens.

Is our athletic department not thinking big? Look at the possibilities

A new conference, with in-state rivalries

UNT becoming the metroplex's team

Having an established top 25 program

Hosting a large opening game against Tech, A&M, or O-state

I think that anything less than 40,000 seats is completely ridiculous. If we have a better looking stadium, with better seats to see the action, more people will come.

Have you been to a UNT game?? I'll tell you what is ridiculous, having 8,000 people at a 40,000 seat stadium....now that is just looks ridiculous. Build it for 30,000 and when people want to start coming expand. It would look utterly pathetic having so few people in such a large stadium....not to mention the increase in cost.

Have you been to a UNT game?? I'll tell you what is ridiculous, having 8,000 people at a 40,000 seat stadium....now that is just looks ridiculous. Build it for 30,000 and when people want to start coming expand. It would look utterly pathetic having so few people in such a large stadium....not to mention the increase in cost.

You're always cheery, seldom factual...yes, I checked.

I think 30000 is fine we do not fill up the 35000 seats we have now!!! Why not build it at 30000 it will be cheaper and we can get it done more quickly. After we start we fill it up consistantly then expand. This way we can use our recources for desighn improvements that are necessary now and not seats fofr the the future.

I think 30000 is fine we do not fill up the 35000 seats we have now!!! Why not build it at 30000 it will be cheaper and we can get it done more quickly. After we start we fill it up consistantly then expand. This way we can use our recources for desighn improvements that are necessary now and not seats fofr the the future.

Amazing how small some of you people think, first if you have an investment of this size in a structure, you do not plan for today you plan for the future. UNT has committed to growing to 45,000 students with in the next 4-7 years.

Second anyone in construction can tell you it is cheaper to build today verses tomorrow.

Third there is absolutely no point in staying status quo, if we as a University are not planning to make the football program something great lets not bother. If we are not going to build more then 30,000 we would be smarter not to build at all.

Things should be done for now...it should be done for the future. I just cant process us building a 30K seat stadium. I mean Clark Field in Plano has about 20K and thats for high school games. This is D1 football with somewhat aspirations of taking this thing to the next level. We need to dramatically upgrade and if you build now its cheaper. The cost of living and certainly building is increasing greatly so later on it wont be very easy to just expand. It just wont be worth it. If you want to build it then build it right.

If you want to build it then build it right.

Right for UNT or right for A&M? Do different programs not have different needs? Like I've said before, filling in a horseshoe wouldn't be that daunting of a task. The fact that it would even need to be filled in would mean attendance figures have maxed out a 30K stadium. At that point ticket revenues alone would be a great starting point for expansion funding. How sad would it look to have one of our 3 ESPN televised games a year showcase a 50K seat, brand new stadium with both end zones as empty as they are at Fouts? On the other hand, how nice would the publicity of having to expand seating in order to meet demand sound both in the local and Sunbelt/regional media?

Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner.

Right for UNT or right for A&M? Do different programs not have different needs? Like I've said before, filling in a horseshoe wouldn't be that daunting of a task. The fact that it would even need to be filled in would mean attendance figures have maxed out a 30K stadium. At that point ticket revenues alone would be a great starting point for expansion funding. How sad would it look to have one of our 3 ESPN televised games a year showcase a 50K seat, brand new stadium with both end zones as empty as they are at Fouts? On the other hand, how nice would the publicity of having to expand seating in order to meet demand sound both in the local and Sunbelt/regional media?

Ok then we dont need a stadium done. If people say we dont fill up Fouts when Why get a new stadium? Instead just spend a few million to get by with some upgrades for Fouts and keep it until we are worthy of one. I doubt there would be 3 televised NT games on ESPN. Maybe 1 or maybe 2 if they are dominant but if thats the case then attendance should be higher.

Ok then we dont need a stadium done. If people say we dont fill up Fouts when Why get a new stadium?

Lots of reasons. Needing the land is first and foremost. We've already invested in the land south of I-35 as an athletic village, seems silly to stop now.

Lots of reasons. Needing the land is first and foremost. We've already invested in the land south of I-35 as an athletic village, seems silly to stop now.

We have had the land for something like 60 years.

Can someone that knows the numbers help me out - the last time we played Baylor here at Fouts, it was over 100 degrees, and there were like 25,000 plus in attendence - were both teams really good that year? I remember in the months and weeks leading up to that game, signs were all over town announcing the game. I mean everywhere you went, you were reminded of the game - and that was the last time that was done. Why did we do it for that game, anyone know?

I mean we need the land that Fouts is sitting on for more academic buildings.

I agree but it is horribly short sited to build a 30,000 seats stadium, that will only hold 2/3s of the student body alone. By the time alumni and opponent seats are done you would be down to less then a third of the student body. If we can't get more then 1/3 of the students to show do we really need a football program? And at 45,000 seats you don't need to fill it all the time. When we play Smu, Baylor or the likes of them we should have the thing damn near sold out. It is all just planning.