New Proposed Unt Football Stadium

It really bothers me that after several decades of stadium talk the new proposed stadium is going to be set at 30,000 seats, yet expandable to 50,000 seats, whenever that happens.

Is our athletic department not thinking big? Look at the possibilities

A new conference, with in-state rivalries

UNT becoming the metroplex's team

Having an established top 25 program

Hosting a large opening game against Tech, A&M, or O-state

I think that anything less than 40,000 seats is completely ridiculous. If we have a better looking stadium, with better seats to see the action, more people will come.

I have at least a dozen friends who are UNT alums who won't come because of Fouts Field, I can bribe about half to come to do tailgating and after halftime they leave. Without a doubt we can increase attendance with a better facility to host our opponents in and also attract better opponents than Nicholls State and SMU

We have soooooo much potential with this program, but the problem is the Athletic Dept and how narrowed minded they have become throughout the years.

If you are going to build it, build it right, you have the land, the visibility, and teams that will want to play in Denton, Texas because of being in the area to recruit and attract alums from the metroplex.

Edited by UNT_playmaker

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UNT has potential but Darrell Royal always used to say that "Potential is something you have never done". While I totally agree with you I think we need a minumum of 50K seats stadium. I know its bigger than what we need right now but if we add later on the cost gets more and more expensive and with UNT's history they wont be able to get that done. I just think you need to build for the future finally catch up to the game if not get ahead of it.

Right now, they have no intentions to add on to make the stadium 50k. The only way I see them doing that is if we get 30k every game, and there is a demand for more, then they might do it, but at this point, the only reason they are including the option to "add more seats to 50k" is please the fan base.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

Until we find our Boone Pickens, we'll have to settle for a modern 30K facility, but that should get us some teams we want to see into Denton. SMUt has 30K and has hosted Tech and Ok.State and will host A$M, Missouri, Baylor, and SFA (ha). Southern Miss has 30K also and has hosted A&M, Cal, Illinois, and Nebraska and will host Kansas and Virginia.

Until we find our Boone Pickens, we'll have to settle for a modern 30K facility, but that should get us some teams we want to see into Denton. SMUt has 30K and has hosted Tech and Ok.State and will host A$M, Missouri, Baylor, and SFA (ha). Southern Miss has 30K also and has hosted A&M, Cal, Illinois, and Nebraska and will host Kansas and Virginia.

We better hope for the Student Fee to pass, or else we are not getting a new stadium. I am afraid that team over in the AD can't raise 30 million. SMU has a much bigger name than we do in football, even with the death penalty. New stadium that holds 30k or not, we are not going to get OSU or A&M here, and probably won't get Tech either.

UNT has potential but Darrell Royal always used to say that "Potential is something you have never done". While I totally agree with you I think we need a minumum of 50K seats stadium. I know its bigger than what we need right now but if we add later on the cost gets more and more expensive and with UNT's history they wont be able to get that done. I just think you need to build for the future finally catch up to the game if not get ahead of it.

You are absolutely correct in a building like a Stadium you always over build because it is much cheaper in the long run, I think 45,000 or more is what they should aim for in phase one simply because the student body by 2015 is supposed to be 45,000. I think the stadium should hold the minimum of what the student body is expected. This is where the rubber meets the road, as a school they are either going to make the Football program work or they are not. If they are not there is no sense in building a new stadium. But if they do and they get this thing rolling they better realize attendance will go through the roof.

You all need to tap the breaks on the Green Cool-Aid if you think just getting a new stadium is going to magically boost our attendance over 30K...That is ridiculous. 30K is penty...we will have a hard enough time filling that up until we get good year in and year out...that should be the focus

You all need to tap the breaks on the Green Cool-Aid if you think just getting a new stadium is going to magically boost our attendance over 30K...That is ridiculous. 30K is penty...we will have a hard enough time filling that up until we get good year in and year out...that should be the focus

Then we don't need a new stadium, you do realize they plan to have a student body of 45,000 sometime between 2012-2015.

You are right but the goal should be to think for the future and think ahead. All of it takes hard work but if you build a stadium right, you can do a lot more with the facility other 5-6 football games per year. I just think you are shooting yourself in the foot if you dont think about the future and build less than 45K-50K seats.

You are right but the goal should be to think for the future and think ahead. All of it takes hard work but if you build a stadium right, you can do a lot more with the facility other 5-6 football games per year. I just think you are shooting yourself in the foot if you dont think about the future and build less than 45K-50K seats.

I think I would rather get a new stadium that seats 30k than to wait for x more years while we try to fund a 45k-50k stadium because somewhere in the future we may need it. We don't fill the stadium we have have with a student body that exceeds the seating availble, and we aren't likely to fill a new one either. Besides, once we do fill it, they will add seating. All universities that routinely sell out their staiums add seating. By your logic, UT, Nebraska, and A&M were all too short sighted when they built their stadiums. Let's just focus on getting the thing built, then worry about whether its enough seating.

I have at least a dozen friends who are UNT alums who won't come because of Fouts Field, I can bribe about half to come to do tailgating and after halftime they leave.

They'll never come to a game even with a new stadium. They'll just find another excuse not to support their alma mater. What a B.S. excuse for not attending a game.

50,000 students in 2012-2015 and a new mediocre stadium, with only 30,000 seats. If you are going to build a stadium you need to add to what already exists.

Fouts was built in the 1950s and currently has 30,500 seats.

We need to add to what we already have, 40,000 would be the magic number for our program.

They'll never come to a game even with a new stadium. They'll just find another excuse not to support their alma mater. What a B.S. excuse for not attending a game.

Exactly. We could play at Congress Junior High, and I would still go to watch.

The people who exist on this board are the core of NT football, we want to attract more fans who normally don't come to our games.

50,000 students in 2012-2015 and a new mediocre stadium, with only 30,000 seats. If you are going to build a stadium you need to add to what already exists.

Just to keep you correct, the number they are shooting for is 45,000 students.

Fouts was built in the 1950s and currently has 30,500 seats.

I think you will find that Fouts was built with 20,000 seats which surpassed the total student body at the time.

We need to add to what we already have, 40,000 would be the magic number for our program.

I would say 40,000 is the bare minimum or we really don't need a new stadium. I think 45,000 is the magic number to start with.

I think the UNT admins and athletic dept have already come to that conclusion.

Serious sports talk.

No one ruin this thread. Especially the Star Wars dorks.

I think we should all just give up and settle with what we have as the Admins and others in charge do not seem to give a damn about promoting school spirit. Drop down to DIII and just be an academic haven as Dr. Hurley and AD Helwig would have liked in the long. We could actually compete with UTD, UTT, and Hardin - Simmons with our current facilities.

This is such tired head after 7 years of RV and so many empty promises. All of the upgrades so far have been forced due to no facilities (softball, soccer, and tennis) or to meet Title IX, there has been no improvements to make facilities better, unless you call putting lipstick on a pig (paint at fouts) significant.