Coach By Coach Hot Seat Rating

Always nice to see things reduced to a grammar war. As if that was the point of this forum, or somehow his point is lost among the myriad of mistakes in all his posts.

I don't recall him being the first to bring up his alma meter. He is just questioning the info that has been passed around here for 3 - 5 years. He has also politely welcomed any links that we could provide to retort. You guys just keep spinning things, and putting him in a negative light, all the while no one has provided an answer.

...with the exception of GEO providing some exposition.

He does have an answer for everything, but has not insulted anyone (the mild shot on the phd was an exception, but I don't think any stones will be thrown). Just because he questions what you know, does not make him evil.

I digress, I do think the Mack Brown debate got ballooned pretty badly.

Anyone else notice Pitt plopping the puck around tonight like a Spur in the NBA West playoffs? Just like Duncan doing any rond de jambes under the hoop, Penguins are in trouble...

Edited by greenminer

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, but I haven't attempted to keep up with all the "checkfacts" posts and responses. It seems like you've been writing here a lot. This is only my suggestion, but I think you should post less and use better grammar when doing so, since in some ways you seem to be expressing a superior attitude. I attended another university before North Texas, and made a "D" in an English course there; because of that, I had to pass an English writing skills test before getting my bachelor's from North Texas in 1977. I hope there are still such requirements at UNT and other schools. Writing skills are as important as "facts" to many people you will encounter.

I had 9 hours of Tech Writing at UNT as part of the requirement for a CS degree

as a CS major they liked to pick on us in those classes....as we sat in their crappy over stuffed lab listening to pipe organ music from the room across the hall......I made a B in each if I recall...no less than a B and maybe an A in one.......well actually I was GIVEN a C in the last class......the one where our class had to purchase three books that we never used......the one where our professor fresh from industry and teaching her first class.....had a "real life" assignment....om IBMs SurfAid Software.......that assignment changed every class period to where the class was nothing, but a jumbled mess of BS

the class where she went directly against what was in the syllabus and met with a member of the group I was in as an individual instead of as a group which is the only way she said she would meet to discuss the project...right in the syllabus

and the one where all it took was a 7 line email to her to tell her of the shock at the grade she gave me

and her to email me back and decline to meet with me in person and instead she would change the grade to an 812/1000....a B

her name was Lynne Cooke and it was English 4300

I gave her a fair evaluation as well and signed my name to it

she was an idiot and an extremely poor teacher

that was not the evaluation I gave her....I was complementary towards her attempting to bring in a real to life project....but that the ever changing requirements and demands from her....took away from that overall....but that of course was the real life of software development in the early 2000s...and even today

and by the way.....as a CS major I know that grammar is desperation

Edited by CheckFacts

as a CS major they liked to pick on us in those classes....as we sat in their crappy over stuffed lab listening to pipe organ music from the room across the hall......I made a B in each if I recall...no less than a B and maybe an A in one.......well actually I was GIVEN a C in the last class......the one where our class had to purchase three books that we never used......the one where our professor fresh from industry and teaching her first class.....had a "real life" assignment....om IBMs SurfAid Software.......that assignment changed every class period to where the class was nothing, but a jumbled mess of BS

the class where she went directly against what was in the syllabus and met with a member of the group I was in as an individual instead of as a group which is the only way she said she would meet to discuss the project...right in the syllabus

and the one where all it took was a 7 line email to her to tell her of the shock at the grade she gave me

and her to email me back and decline to meet with me in person and instead she would change the grade to an 812/1000....a B

that was not the evaluation I gave her....I was complementary towards her attempting to bring in a real to life project....but that the ever changing requirements and demands from her....took away from that overall....but that of course was the real life of software development in the early 2000s...and even today

I can tell you from experience that you don't want to give away too much around here. The wolves, despite anyone's intentions, will have at you.

TMI, dude. T M I

I can tell you from experience that you don't want to give away too much around here. The wolves, despite anyone's intentions, will have at you.

TMI, dude. T M I

thank you for your concern

I really have stayed away from personal anecdotes because they will be discounted and not easy to verify

but I have provided what I believe is information that can be verified as it relates to the issues I experienced while at UNT

for a change

obviously UNT has a fine Music program......but another State Borg just received 55 million for their School of Music from a pair of Baylor grads.....so the borgs move forward....but that does not change what UNT has done with Music....but I would like to see a plan to continue to do that

I feel the Math Department at UNT is first rate......outstanding Lecturers with the vast majority being native English speakers and quality teachers.....and a number of other classes taught by top notch faculty that were a joy to learn from.....well the eastern Euros are an bit mechanical....but intelligent

the Physics Department is extremely well run....Dr Matterson is great and it is a well run department

The RTVF Department can get you anywhere that you can get yourself.....that is kind of a complement...and kind of not.....it could be so much more if not dumped on

the Art College has better Technology than the CS department did for general CS student use.....thumbs up art.....thumbs down CS

I believe as many want to that UNT has potential......just still don't see the plan to get there

Edited by CheckFacts

what assumptions......that there are 10 schools in a position to win it all every year and things can fall right or wrong for any of them

and that one player will never change the chances of that happening

and that a number of coaches with all types of pedigrees and as good or better facilities and teams than Mack Brown have never gotten it done even once

the fact is Mack Brown got it done and February and in January......and tons of coaches with all types of facilities have never gotten it done in either.....much less both

and tons have gotten it done in one and not the other......but some still pick at Mack.....usually those that have never come close....even as a couch coach

by your "logic" Todge got it done because of a system and a group of players developed by Jr. High Coaches that he just had to sit back and watch......after all he never came close at any other place he coached until he was HANDED the reigns of what others had built at Southlake and he was handed the players that others had developed into a system long before high school

PS here is a link for you

www.texags.com

Okay this thread needs to get back on topic with football immediately. So here goes

I am not an Aggies fan and consider that a bloody insult. Also I back what I say about Brown because he is known to drop big games, replaced Applewhite with Simms, and runs up the score against opponents just to get more BCS votes ( I refer to a recent UNT-UT game)

These are my favorite college football teams in order

1. University of North Texas Mean Green

2. Univ of Texas

3. Univ of Michigan

Least favorite and hated teams.

1. SMU

2. Texas A&M

3. Oklahoma

thank you for your concern

I really have stayed away from personal anecdotes because they will be discounted and not easy to verify

but I have provided what I believe is information that can be verified as it relates to the issues I experienced while at UNT

for a change

obviously UNT has a fine Music program......but another State Borg just received 55 million for their School of Music from a pair of Baylor grads.....so the borgs move forward....but that does not change what UNT has done with Music....but I would like to see a plan to continue to do that

I feel the Math Department at UNT is first rate......outstanding Lecturers with the vast majority being native English speakers and quality teachers.....and a number of other classes taught by top notch faculty that were a joy to learn from.....well the eastern Euros are an bit mechanical....but intelligent

the Physics Department is extremely well run....Dr Matterson is great and it is a well run department

The RTVF Department can get you anywhere that you can get yourself.....that is kind of a complement...and kind of not.....it could be so much more if not dumped on

the Art College has better Technology than the CS department did for general CS student use.....thumbs up art.....thumbs down CS

I believe as many want to that UNT has potential......just still don't see the plan to get there

As I previously mentioned, I've already posted high praise for the new hire for Engineering Dean in the UNT news forum, but really THAT hire, like many of "checkfacts" (for a change) academic postings, should not be posted anywhere but in the football forum.

If anyone will read the link to the UNT news forum topic on that hire, they can see that Dr. Tsatsoulis appears to have been instrumental in bringing engineering, computer science, and image analysis under one academic umbrella at the University of Kansas. Tsatsoulis has brought some serious grant money into UK (some of which has been used to acquire new technology), and can probably do the same here at UNT.

Actually, I'm not surprised to hear from "checkfacts" about the deficiencies in CS at UNT (or anywhere else). The exciting trends in CS will not be from traditional academic CS departments, but from departments who are using information technology as tools to expand knowledge in diverse, even the most traditional, academic fields. There are some smart, dedicated, competent people at UNT who are hiring smart, dedicated, competent people, such as Dr. Tsatsoukis. I consider that a good thing, and perhaps as important as anything else.

I see plans as like notes of music; notes are good, but only people can bring passion to them. At UNT, improvisation is as important as just playing notes. Here's the link.

New UNT Dean of Engineering (and Professor of Computer Science)

I'm sorry, but I haven't attempted to keep up with all the "checkfacts" posts and responses. It seems like you've been writing here a lot. This is only my suggestion, but I think you should post less and use better grammar when doing so, since in some ways you seem to be expressing a superior attitude. I attended another university before North Texas, and made a "D" in an English course there; because of that, I had to pass an English writing skills test before getting my bachelor's from North Texas in 1977. I hope there are still such requirements at UNT and other schools. Writing skills are as important as "facts" to many people you will encounter.

i hated that damn thing !!!!!!!!!!!!

Todd Dodge - 2.5

I think that's a great assessment. Putting aside the issue of what I expect will happen this year, here's how I see what should be done in the worst case scenario.

Our previous coach was fired after two years with 9 losses each. Last year, our new coach lost 10 games.

I'll be honest and say that if we go another season with 10 losses (or, perish the thought, worse) then the long term (and perhaps immediate) future of Todd Dodge ought to be in serious doubt.

Note: I'm not saying that will happen. I'm not saying Dodge should be on the hot seat. But a mid point rating seems very appropriate. Because if you're willing to watch two consecutive 10 loss seasons without the coach getting any job heat... You're not a fan, you're a moron.

If you look at it from the outside perspective... Our prior coach was let go after two bad years, neither of which was as bad in W/L terms as the first year under Dodge. And that previous coach won the conference Coach of the Year award/was selected as the coach of the conference's 30th anniversary team. Add the "High School" label question mark, and I'm surprised the score wasn't higher. Again, from an outsider's perspective.

So yeah... 2.5 is right on the money. That's what 10 losses and almost no college skins will get you. Even if you are Todd Dodge.

Todd Dodge - 2.5

I think that's a great assessment. Putting aside the issue of what I expect will happen this year, here's how I see what should be done in the worst case scenario.

Our previous coach was fired after two years with 9 losses each. Last year, our new coach lost 10 games.

I'll be honest and say that if we go another season with 10 losses (or, perish the thought, worse) then the long term (and perhaps immediate) future of Todd Dodge ought to be in serious doubt.

Note: I'm not saying that will happen. I'm not saying Dodge should be on the hot seat. But a mid point rating seems very appropriate. Because if you're willing to watch two consecutive 10 loss seasons without the coach getting any job heat... You're not a fan, you're a moron.

If you look at it from the outside perspective... Our prior coach was let go after two bad years, neither of which was as bad in W/L terms as the first year under Dodge. And that previous coach won the conference Coach of the Year award/was selected as the coach of the conference's 30th anniversary team. Add the "High School" label question mark, and I'm surprised the score wasn't higher. Again, from an outsider's perspective.

So yeah... 2.5 is right on the money. That's what 10 losses and almost no college skins will get you. Even if you are Todd Dodge.

I don't really disagree with you, I just think DD got more then 2 years in many ways, he was here 9 years and had 6 losing seasons, of the 6 seasons 5 were 11 game years. Now 2001 he did play 12 when we went bowling with a losing season and lost at the bowl. Over the 9 years he was here he lost 64 games and averaged 7.1 loses a season. His losing seasons all 6 of them he averaged 8.5 loses a year. And he had by far the worst wining percentage of any coach at North Texas with more than 3 years on the job. If he had those other 5 games I am sure during his losing years he would have averaged 9.1 loses a year.

But hey I didn't like the guy, so I may be negative.

I think Dodge is safe, unless as you say he goes 2-10 or less this year. But with Deloach back and TD a full year on the job I don't think we will see such a collapse.

I don't really disagree with you, I just think DD got more then 2 years in many ways, he was here 9 years and had 6 losing seasons, of the 6 seasons 5 were 11 game years. Now 2001 he did play 12 when we went bowling with a losing season and lost at the bowl. Over the 9 years he was here he lost 64 games and averaged 7.1 loses a season. His losing seasons all 6 of them he averaged 8.5 loses a year. And he had by far the worst wining percentage of any coach at North Texas with more than 3 years on the job. If he had those other 5 games I am sure during his losing years he would have averaged 9.1 loses a year.

It's obvious to those who have watched NT for several years that the program is building again under Dodge, while the last two years of DD's tour the program was in severe decline. Last year's 2-10 record, taken as just a stat, implies poor coaching but does not take into account all the change that had to happen and adjustments which have now been made with players, coaches, and playbook.

Edited by NT80

Todd Dodge - 2.5

I just don't see Todd Dodge as being remotely on the hot seat right now. 2-10 is pretty much right where the prognosticators thought he would finish last year. Now, I agree--another 10 loss season would definitely put him on the hot seat (at least a 2.5) going into next year, but I don't think he's there right now.

I just don't see Todd Dodge as being remotely on the hot seat right now. 2-10 is pretty much right where the prognosticators thought he would finish last year. Now, I agree--another 10 loss season would definitely put him on the hot seat (at least a 2.5) going into next year, but I don't think he's there right now.

After amazingly clear and focused meditation on the subject, I have contemplated a perfectly detailed vision of the forthcoming season. If we don't win more then 2 games my Gas Will Be Cranked!!!

Guest 97and03

You need to read the rules, especially the part about personal attacks.

Dude, to be fair, I think he has shown incredible restraint considering the attacks that have been leveled at him.

I would have told them to all to suck it a long time ago.

Guest 97and03

I agree with Tasty. I think a mid-level rating is warranted given the lack of success last year. They aren't claiming that he is canned if we don't win 10 games this year. They are just saying what we are all saying - that another bad year will move him closer to the hot seat.

I agree with Tasty. I think a mid-level rating is warranted given the lack of success last year. They aren't claiming that he is canned if we don't win 10 games this year. They are just saying what we are all saying - that another bad year will move him closer to the hot seat.

This thread gave me AIDS

Where do I start... They don't pick on the CS majors in the technical writing classes anymore than they pick on any major. Writing, especially technical writing (where business writing falls), is integral to everyone's job. It is a direct reflection on your education (or lack thereof) and ability to communicate effectively. Have you ever tried to communicate in an e-mail or letter with poor writing? Or have you ever received an e-mail or letter that made no sense? I'll bet it took several hours of correspondence to get traction on the conversation. The Technical Writing program at North Texas is one of the best in the country (I believe it's ranked number 3), and focuses specifically on real-world application of writing. The clases are difficult because UNT wants graduates who can represent themselves well in writing and who can communicate effectively. In fact, UNT is one of very few schools who require most of their science majors to complete courses in technical writing. Since you were attempting a CS degree, may I assume you work (or wanted to work) in software development?

Someone has to explain to the general public the techno-garble that application engineers put out. Without technical writers (who, at UNT also have training in UI development and usability), everyone might be spending their time trying to figure out the latest MS Works application. An application engineer who has an appreciation for what writers accomplish can work much better in a team environment and will have more value in a company for his or her ability to communicate changes via engineering specs.

This won't give you comfort in your grade in the class, but perhaps you might be interested to know that Dr. Cooke has a reputation of being extremely fair and sticking to the syllabus. Perhaps she took your comments under advisement and made changes to her teaching style. In all my dealings (and all my friends' dealings) with her, we have found her fair, honest, and an excellent teacher.

Dude, to be fair, I think he has shown incredible restraint considering the attacks that have been leveled at him.

I would have told them to all to suck it a long time ago.

Fine then, someone report where he was personally attacked and I will ping that person also.