Rv To Louisina Tech?

LAZER

You serious?! :huh:

The one time I was out there was a few years ago when we got spanked playing Dickey ball.

I was AMAZED at their campus. The dorms looked like Tyler Junior College Extension Campus... There was little vegetation (that survived anyway) and the buildings had very little character. Things just looked run-down and in disrepair. It was their homecoming, so I figured it would have had their best lipstick on, but it looked more like a tranny than a beauty queen. I did enjoy their tailgating area up on the hill under the trees... but their stadium is just a knotch (and I do mean barely) better than Fouts.

Student Reviews dot com..

As far as Ruston goes, I didn't say anything about it. I like small towns.. I enjoyed driving through it. I liked some of the old house. In general, sure Ruston was good. I may pick to live there as an adult with kids, but certainly doesn't seem like a place an athlete wants to go.

Agree. Junior colleges make better first impressions than LTU's campus.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 97and03

As ranked by rivals (may not be the best but it is what we have to go by)

2003 - 84

2004 - 72

2005 - 97

2006 - 111

2007 - 114

2008 - 80 currently

I dont consider 80 a big jump over 84 and we are not quite up to 72. A good recruiter (which is the main reason we hired TD) should be able to get any team in the 60's. a top 60 class will have UNT winning the Sunbelt each year as well as competing agianst the non conference opponents.

Well as I have already stated, I do consider our class this year as a top 60s recruiting class. I won't launch into another discussion of rivals rankings (or my personal jihad against them).

But for arguments sake, let us dig a level deeper into those classes.

2008 80 North Texas 24 0 0 7 2.29

2007 113 North Texas 18 0 0 1 2.06

2006 111 North Texas 18 0 0 0 2.00

2005 94 North Texas 24 0 0 1 2.04

2004 72 North Texas 18 0 0 2 2.11

2003 83 North Texas 24 0 0 2 2.08

One can easily figure out that a recruiting class with 7 3-star athletes and 2.29 avg stars is better than those previous classes. Right?

Digging even deeper, one finds that this years class has double the amount of players with Rivals position rankings (2 - Dodge and Cook) as did all of those classes combined (1 - Jamario). This class also includes a JUCO Top 100 (Horton). This is the best class of all the ones you mention. By far. Period.

Solely using the rankings is a very misleading indicator.

Looking at those recruiting classes and saying they are better than this is akin to saying that winning a Gold medal at the Special Olympics is better than winning a Silver at the actual Olympics because gold is better than silver!

Well it is a rank of how well we are doing compared to the rest of the country. In 2004 "on paper" there were 71 teams that did a better job then UNT in recruiting. This year "on paper" 79 teams are doing a better job then UNT in recruiting. Hardly a "jump".

I must disagree with you again. The Rivals team point ratings are whacked. We have 24 commits, with an average star rating of 2.29. Only one team ranked below us has a higher average (TCU), but they only have 13 commits. You'll find that our Rivals star average is right there with teams ranked in the 60's, and they do not have as many commits.

There are most certainly not 79 teams doing a better job than UNT in recruiting.

I must disagree with you again. The Rivals team point ratings are whacked. We have 24 commits, with an average star rating of 2.29. Only one team ranked below us has a higher average (TCU), but they only have 13 commits. You'll find that our Rivals star average is right there with teams ranked in the 60's, and they do not have as many commits.

There are most certainly not 79 teams doing a better job than UNT in recruiting.

Keep telling yourself that. Rivals like it or not is the measuring stick that most people use and they have you at 80. I'm not saying that you should not be proud of the recruiting class. That all depends on what TD does with them. But he won 2 games last year and by college football standards is not having a very good recruiting year. But again he may be a great at player evaluation and development. And his 2 stars may be as good as most 4 stars. But he has yet to prove that to me. Yes he has only been here 1 year and should be given time.

I cant believe UNT fans are arguing about our how good our Rivals rankings and "average stars" are after they spent the last 5 years explaining how they are "BS" to begin with, and "bought by BCS teams".

Who cares.

Not being ranked below 100 after last's years disaster should be considered a huge success, IMO. Especially since we play in the SBC, haven't had a winning season in 3 years, and were coached by what was basically a HS football staff the better part of 07.

I cant believe UNT fans are arguing about our how good our Rivals rankings and "average stars" are after they spent the last 5 years explaining how they are "BS" to begin with, and "bought by BCS teams".

Who cares.

Not being ranked below 100 after last's years disaster should be considered a huge success, IMO. Especially since we play in the SBC, haven't had a winning season in 3 years, and were coached by what was basically a HS football staff the better part of 07.

Polls are only good when they tell us what we want to hear! Don't you read the basketball board?

Keep telling yourself that. Rivals like it or not is the measuring stick that most people use and they have you at 80. I'm not saying that you should not be proud of the recruiting class. That all depends on what TD does with them. But he won 2 games last year and by college football standards is not having a very good recruiting year. But again he may be a great at player evaluation and development. And his 2 stars may be as good as most 4 stars. But he has yet to prove that to me. Yes he has only been here 1 year and should be given time.

Learn to read. You replied to something other than what you claimed to be replying to.

Learn to think.... Go back and reread my post with yours in mind.....

Keep telling yourself that there are not 79 teams outrecruiting UNT......

You answered by implying that I was trying to claim, "Our 2-stars are better than their 4-stars." Not what I said.

You also implied that I was throwing Rivals ratings out the window. Not what I did.

Let me restate this:

Our recruits have a higher average Rivals rating than any team ranked over 71 (except Marshall and TCU), and more than a few in the 60's.

We have more and better recruits than another school = our recruiting class is better.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

While reading this banter, which I think is good, I'd love to be able to look forward a couple years and be able to really understand how good our 2008 recruiting success was/is and add something a bit more meaningful. Can't do that so I'll be satisfied with waiting the 2-3 years and pull this thread back and laugh at what we thought we knew and what was really the case. Folks, we have a good recruiting class!

At any rate, it is exciting to know we will have about 25 recruits that we can get to know, at least most of them, and watch perform as students and athletes. They will be ours to support, teach and learn from. I hope they turn in to alums or friends of UNT [like us] that care about the success of both the athletic program and the university.

Go Mean Green and UNT!

You answered by implying that I was trying to claim, "Our 2-stars are better than their 4-stars." Not what I said.

You also implied that I was throwing Rivals ratings out the window. Not what I did.

Let me restate this:

Our recruits have a higher average Rivals rating than any team ranked over 71 (except Marshall and TCU), and more than a few in the 60's.

We have more and better recruits than another school = our recruiting class is better.

1st of all "Rivals team point ratings are whacked". Not if you understand them. Now the entire subjectivity of rating players in general is "wacked" but it is all that we have. The player "rating" is only part of the formula.

2nd I was trying to be a little encouraging about TD and his recruits because according to Rivals UNT recruiting is still questionable. That is where the 2 vs 4 star comment came from. I hope that TD knows the talent better then Rivals. It had nothing to do with what you typed.

What is sad is that I (a Southern Miss fan) expect more from UNT athletics then you (a UNT fan) expect.

Edited by AnotherEagleFan

1st of all "Rivals team point ratings are whacked". Not if you understand them. Now the entire subjectivity of rating players in general is "wacked" but it is all that we have. The player "rating" is only part of the formula.

2nd I was trying to be a little encouraging about TD and his recruits because according to Rivals UNT recruiting is still questionable. That is where the 2 vs 4 star comment came from. I hope that TD knows the talent better then Rivals. It had nothing to do with what you typed.

What is sad is that I (a Southern Miss fan) expect more from UNT athletics then you (a UNT fan) expect.

If you're going to reply, reply to the point of what I said. Again:

True or false? If false, why?

Vito Blog says RV has no interest in La Tech job.....

February 1, 2008

Villarreal says he has no interest in La. Tech

UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal left no doubt today when I asked him about the rumors that he has an interest in Louisiana Tech's opening for an athletic director.

Villarreal said he hasn't talked to the school, won't talk to the school and has no interest in pulling up and moving to Ruston.

Villarreal pointed out all of the reasons he believes UNT is on the verge of taking several key steps forward in the next few years, not to mention all of the good things that are happening in the program now. Those factors are the reasons why Villarreal said he isn't interested in trading in his job at UNT for one at Tech, a school he believes has less long-term potential.

Why must we act like a hormone raging teenage girl wondering if the boy she is always making eyes with across the classroom likes her or not?

Seriously, freaking out over a rumor of RV "interviewing" at another school is another past time of this board, right up there with stadium talk, uniforms, & the color black.

Why must we act like a hormone raging teenage girl wondering if the boy she is always making eyes with across the classroom likes her or not?

Seriously, freaking out over a rumor of RV "interviewing" at another school is another past time of this board, right up there with stadium talk, uniforms, & the color black.

... and helmet stickers, don't forget the helmet stickers! :P

Sometimes it's like people just spur it on and encourage it. For shame.

An official denial is fool-proof and good enough for me. Here's to the stadium! Huzzah!

If you're going to reply, reply to the point of what I said. Again:

True or false? If false, why?

You are off point. and your statement is false. And I'm beginning to think that you are drinking.

Points are assigned to each player. Points are not given (solely) for a particular star. So if 1 team has the #1 3* and the next team has the lowest rated 3* then the team with the highest rated 3* wins. Two teams + two athletes + 2 (3*) = 2 different points. So as the enitre nation sees it there has been no jump over the competition. MY point and the point that you cannot at this point argue is that Rivals has you rated #80. Another point that you cannot argue are past rankings. The point that you can argue is the subjectivity of the whole rivals process. You cannot take the part of Rivals that you do like and throw out the rest and make a logical argument about the results you derived.

Your expectations are too low if you are happy with this recruiting class. Unless (as I said before) TD is a much better judge of athletes then rivals. And he can do something with the ahtletes he recruites.

Okay so lets take Rivals ranking and break it down. You say that TD is not making a jump in recruiting right?

2003: Coming off 2 straight SBC Championships and a Bowl Victory

UNT = #9 in Texas (Texas A&M, Texas, Texas Tech, SMU, Houston, TCU, Baylor, Rice)

UNT = #4 Sun Belt

2004: Coming off 3 straight SBC Championships

UNT = #6 in Texas (Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, TCU, Houston)

UNT = #1 Sun Belt

2005: Coming off 4 straight SBC Championships

UNT = #9 in Texas (Texas A&M, Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, SMU, UTEP, Houston)

UNT = 4 Sun Belt

2006:

UNT = #10 (Last) in Texas

UNT = #4 SB

2007: TD's first year (6 weeks to recruit)

UNT = #8 (Last) Sun Belt

2008: TD's first full year recruiting: Coming off a 2-10 year

UNT = 5 in Texas (Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor)

UNT = #1 in Texas, Non BCS

UNT = #1 Sun Belt

If you can honestly look at those recruiting numbers from the past 6 years and tell me that TD is not raising the recruiting around here then your crazy.

the only year that Rivals has ranked higher then this one was 2004, in witch DD was coming off 3 straight SBC appearances.

This years class (Although ranked lower) is better then that years in Texas

Before you call TD a bust in recruiting, lets see what happens when he actually starts to win more then just a couple of games

Okay so lets take Rivals ranking and break it down. You say that TD is not making a jump in recruiting right?

2003: Coming off 2 straight SBC Championships and a Bowl Victory

UNT = #9 in Texas (Texas A&M, Texas, Texas Tech, SMU, Houston, TCU, Baylor, Rice)

UNT = #4 Sun Belt

2004: Coming off 3 straight SBC Championships

UNT = #6 in Texas (Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, TCU, Houston)

UNT = #1 Sun Belt

2005: Coming off 4 straight SBC Championships

UNT = #9 in Texas (Texas A&M, Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, SMU, UTEP, Houston)

UNT = 4 Sun Belt

2006:

UNT = #4 SB

2007: TD's first year (6 weeks to recruit)

UNT = #8 (Last) Sun Belt

2008: TD's first full year recruiting: Coming off a 2-10 year

UNT = 5 in Texas (Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor)

UNT = #1 in Texas, Non BCS

UNT = #1 Sun Belt

If you can honestly look at those recruiting numbers from the past 6 years and tell me that TD is not raising the recruiting around here then your crazy.

the only year that Rivals has ranked higher then this one was 2004, in witch DD was coming off 3 straight SBC appearances.

This years class (Although ranked lower) is better then that years in Texas

Before you call TD a bust in recruiting, lets see what happens when he actually starts to win more then just a couple of games

There is more to college football then Texas and the Sunbelt so why only use them for comparrison? The actual rivals rankings were posted earlier in the thread. This makes the 2nd best recruiting class in the last 6 years. And only by 4 places I might add. And I did not mention that TD was a bust. Just that I dont see the "jump" that he was supposed to bring.

If TD has made siginificant progress in recruiting someone needs to tell Rivals.

There is more to college football then Texas and the Sunbelt so why only use them for comparrison? The actual rivals rankings were posted earlier in the thread. This makes the 2nd best recruiting class in the last 6 years. And only by 4 places I might add. And I did not mention that TD was a bust. Just that I dont see the "jump" that he was supposed to bring.

If TD has made siginificant progress in recruiting someone needs to tell Rivals.

I thought this thread was about RV possibly going to La Tech?