What Will It Take To Turn 2-10 Into 10-2 ?

NT80

• 1 year later...

I know!!! A Mean Joe, a Booger, a Buckles, a Spencer, a Cassel, a Cobbs, a Scott Hall or Andrew Smith, a Fitz and a new head coach.....and maybe some pixie dust.

Well, depending on whether or not you count both Scott Hall or Andrew Smith, you're one or two shy of something for each of the twelve days of Christmas. But we can't wait until December 25 to get started.

Consistent pressure on the QB. Consistent ability to stop the run.

In sacks, UNT ranked 117th. Rushing defense 105th. In tackles for loss, 99th.

Rushing defense this year was actually worse than last year, and this is now an ongoing 'feature' of this team going back to 2005. This points to glaring deficiencies on the DL. There was improvement in pass defense and kick returns, which points to improvement in skill position ability. Offense improved in virtually every area except turnover margin, which can best be described as "pathetic", and ranked 117th. Kicking game was worse than I can ever remember from a D1 school. Punt teams--horrible.

Coaching? Boneheaded in-game idiocy? Fire Dodge, if that's what the AD feels is the best thing to do. He's had 3 years. There has been big improvement in the offense, but defensively, there are still glaring holes. Deloach has made some improvements. I would counter that he still needs more to work with up front, and I'm not convinced this won't be more difficult to address with a coaching change right now, but whatever.

Bottom line--this team was much more competitive this year. At least 4 of these games were lost on combinations of poor coaching decisions combined with player mistakes, and inferior talent at crucial positions. The margin of loss makes the pain magnified, and the easy solution is to fire everybody, but that's what happens when a team is getting closer to turning it around. See Baylor and aTm this year.

I'm done arguing for Dodge to hang around, because it may be detrimental to the stadium/program due to this year's on-field results--which were heart-breaking--but that fact only serves to magnify the attitude of "we need CHANGE!". Again--whatever.

Just keep in mind that the band plays on:

1. Same old song. 5th year verse: ADDRESS DL RECRUITING.

2. Same old song. 4th year verse: GET KICKING GAME TOGETHER.

Don't turn the ball over.

Get turnovers.

There were so many games that we won statistically, except in the TO column. Then you look at our last game of the season, the ASU game, where we were thoroughly whipped statistically. Yet we were only a blocked field goal and XP away from a tie. Why was it so close? Because we held onto the ball on offense, and got TO's on defense.

Don't turn the ball over.

Get turnovers.

There were so many games that we won statistically, except in the TO column. Then you look at our last game of the season, the ASU game, where we were thoroughly whipped statistically. Yet we were only a blocked field goal and XP away from a tie. Why was it so close? Because we held onto the ball on offense, and got TO's on defense.

Ding, ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winner. I'm right there with you. We consistently lost the TO battle and that killed us. Hang on to the ball, stop throwing picks and get some of our own. It started with an interception at ASU. There were a lot of puckered you-know-whats in the stands in the 4th quarter. We had our chances but did not capitalize when we needed to.

Keith

Consistent pressure on the QB. Consistent ability to stop the run.

In sacks, UNT ranked 117th. Rushing defense 105th. In tackles for loss, 99th.

Rushing defense this year was actually worse than last year, and this is now an ongoing 'feature' of this team going back to 2005. This points to glaring deficiencies on the DL. There was improvement in pass defense and kick returns, which points to improvement in skill position ability. Offense improved in virtually every area except turnover margin, which can best be described as "pathetic", and ranked 117th. Kicking game was worse than I can ever remember from a D1 school. Punt teams--horrible.

Coaching? Boneheaded in-game idiocy? Fire Dodge, if that's what the AD feels is the best thing to do. He's had 3 years. There has been big improvement in the offense, but defensively, there are still glaring holes. Deloach has made some improvements. I would counter that he still needs more to work with up front, and I'm not convinced this won't be more difficult to address with a coaching change right now, but whatever.

Bottom line--this team was much more competitive this year. At least 4 of these games were lost on combinations of poor coaching decisions combined with player mistakes, and inferior talent at crucial positions. The margin of loss makes the pain magnified, and the easy solution is to fire everybody, but that's what happens when a team is getting closer to turning it around. See Baylor and aTm this year.

I'm done arguing for Dodge to hang around, because it may be detrimental to the stadium/program due to this year's on-field results--which were heart-breaking--but that fact only serves to magnify the attitude of "we need CHANGE!". Again--whatever.

Just keep in mind that the band plays on:

1. Same old song. 5th year verse: ADDRESS DL RECRUITING.

2. Same old song. 4th year verse: GET KICKING GAME TOGETHER.

What about the Great wins?....we beat WKU (only allowed 48pts to a team that won NO games....this was more than 200 % of the next highest points made by them all season) and we beat Ball State...who won two games this year by a total of 7 points....man is this great coaching or what?....and in his 3rd year!....evidence says "get someone else".