A Great Night For North Texas

Harry

That was an awesome crowd, an outstanding gameday presentation (the flyover was one of the most moving moments in Fouts I can remember) and just a very entertaining game.

I ask the naysayers, when was the last time in November we have had that type of atmosphere? How can you possibly downplay that or the effort our kids put into the game?

There are areas we need to improve on for sure, and the negative neds will hammer on them as they always do. Guys like El Paso Eagle just adore pissing on the wheaties don't they? Just take a gander at his posting history and I think you will see; the record speaks for itself.

We have a very impressive quarterback, that is a true freshman, who in my opinion raised his play to another level tonight. That alone speaks volumes about the future to me. We have taken a pedestrian at best offense and turned it into an entertaining point scoring machine in less than a years time.

If you take the way this offense played tonight and pair it with the 2002 or even 2003 defense you have a top 25 team. That is something we can build on.

Don't get me wrong, I am very concerned about our defense but to blame that on Mendoza alone is premature. Any football fan can see that the talent level needs to be addressed as well. I believe that it will.

To those nursing their wounds over what they thought would be a winning year, I admire your optimisim but the reality is we are probably 2-3 years away. That disappointment shouldn't take away from what was a terrific night for North Texas athletics. It shouldn't keep anyone from being optimistic about what this could become in a couple of years...

So kudos to Dr. B and RV - scheduling this game was a brilliant move. And kudos to our fans who have stood by the team all year after a lot of adversity. I have a good felling that a lot of people who were there tonight will be coming back. GMG!

That was an awesome crowd, an outstanding gameday presentation (the flyover was one of the most moving moments in Fouts I can remember) and just a very entertaining game.

I ask the naysayers, when was the last time in November we have had that type of atmosphere? How can you possibly downplay that or the effort our kids put into the game?

There are areas we need to improve on for sure, and the negative neds will hammer on them as they always do. Guys like El Paso Eagle just adore pissing on the wheaties don't they? Just take a gander at his posting history and I think you will see; the record speaks for itself.

We have a very impressive quarterback, that is a true freshman, who in my opinion raised his play to another level tonight. That alone speaks volumes about the future to me. We have taken a pedestrian at best offense and turned it into an entertaining point scoring machine in less than a years time.

If you take the way this offense played tonight and pair it with the 2002 or even 2003 defense you have a top 25 team. That is something we can build on.

Don't get me wrong, I am very concerned about our defense but to blame that on Mendoza alone is premature. Any football fan can see that the talent level needs to be addressed as well. I believe that it will.

To those nursing their wounds over what they thought would be a winning year, I admire your optimisim but the reality is we are probably 2-3 years away. That disappointment shouldn't take away from what was a terrific night for North Texas athletics. It shouldn't keep anyone from being optimistic about what this could become in a couple of years...

So kudos to Dr. B and RV - scheduling this game was a brilliant move. And kudos to our fans who have stood by the team all year after a lot of adversity. I have a good felling that a lot of people who were there tonight will be coming back. GMG!

It was a pretty amazing atmosphere. I spoke to a UNT officer that mentioned he hadn't see that many people and excitement in years.

I thought the turnout was amazing and I felt like the noise level on the West side was louder this week. Don't see any reason why we wouldn't have 20,000 at the last home game.

It was a pretty amazing atmosphere. I spoke to a UNT officer that mentioned he hadn't see that many people and excitement in years.

I thought the turnout was amazing and I felt like the noise level on the West side was louder this week. Don't see any reason why we wouldn't have 20,000 at the last home game.

It's during Thanksgiving break and we play Western Kentucky...might affect the number of students that show up. Then again, maybe not, maybe we'll have a good turnout. Eh, I'm not a doctor.

AMEN!

DITTO

You know Harry, your talent for understatement is just.......amazing. ;)

Harry, let me begin by saying I agree 1,000% with what you said about the offense and our freshman QB (I mean, who coulda called that this guy should be our starter? *cough* *cough*). It is clear that, though Navy's secondary was not stellar, our offensive players are getting stronger and stronger in this offense. And, yes, the crowd last night was great.

Now let me play devil's advocate. That game was 49-31 at one point in the second quarter. From there on out the game swung 43-13 in their favor. That is not an example of one team just magically getting better. That was the result of them dropping their safeties back to take away the deep ball, bringing heat more often, and getting in positions to run downhill toward any screens we threw. On the flipside I believe their pitch man is still wide open on the option. We didn't adjust to what they were doing, plain and simple. Don't make the mistake of thinking I'm suggesting that we could have shut this team out. Or stopped them. Or slowed them down significantly. They're either THE best or among the best at what they do. What I am suggesting is that we could have come into this game on two years prep with a more sound game plan. Or, and I gasp as I suggest this, gone into the locker room and adjusted to make them pass the ball just a little more. Or maybe put a faster group of linebackers on the field who could get from sideline to sideline...or if we lack the team speed schemed to contain better and force their fullback or QB's arm to beat us. We did none of the above.

Again, let me reiterate I AM NOT saying push the self-destruct button on this experiment. I'm just strongly suggesting that the entire defensive staff and team needs to have a long hard look pointed their way.

I think this game points to what a quality opponent will do for attendance, even with a 1-7 home team and Fouts. Navy also did bring close to 4,000 fans themselves. We must continue to work to get into a conference with closer teams and more quality opponents that fans want to see. Don't be surprised if the WKU game is the opposite in attendance. <_<

I agree with what alot of what you have said here, but I take exception with much of it...

The atmosphere was most surely the best we've ever had at Fouts Field and North Texas. There wasn't a moment that the crowd wasn't into it and that the spectacle wasn't VERY entertaining.

Are there Naysayers about the atmosphere? You can't love 99% of what you saw yesterday and still want to puke with how non-existent an entire half of the football team was? That's the problem with this board. Any negativity is looked at as Complete negativity towards the program. The two aren't connected. You can be critical of the pace at which we are (or aren't) hearing about a new stadium and still be a real fan. You can still be critical of the bad choice of Defensive Coordinator and still support UNT and Dodge. You can critique and argue that the defensive coaching staff can't get it done and still be a UNT fan. ...in fact, it is those things THAT MAKE US FANS. Our willingness and desire to take this program personally and then argue, debate and pitch a fit with passion is what makes THIS fan base one of the greatest in sports. I am so tired of any negativity being attacked and maligned as if it is "against the religion" to be critical of any aspect of this program or our University.

...and I haven't seen anybody crapping on the effort the kids put in, and those who do are universally attacked by most members on the board, even the ones who dare be negative once in a while.

Vizza looks amazing and the competition level at QB next year will be even better. There are now, and have been since day one of the TD era that the offense is healing and getting more potent by the minute. We will have one of the most explosive offenses in College Football in the foreseeable future.

I agree 100%.

...a moment ago, we're making sure nobody questions the effort put forward by the players, but now they aren't talented enough to get the job done? Talented enough to be average, which THIS GROUP Of talent was last year, ranked #64. It is not premature to blame the man responsible for getting this group ready and for developing the scheme. Touch and go in practices? Cover 1? At the college level? Really? Who should we blame then? Or maybe the question is when? We have to go through this for two seasons? How long until you think those of us calling for a little blood aren't being too negative?

Why? There are many examples of coaches who turn teams around in one season, and they do it with guys they didn't recruit. Happens all the time in college football. With an even decent, average defense, we'd be pitching a .500 season right now. Unlike many, I DO believe we have the talent on the defensive side of the ball to accomplish that now. I believe this because THIS GROUP OF PLAYERS have DEMONSTRATED IT before.

The game is the pinnacle of this AD's career so far, and was a career move. The President and Rick deserve a MOUND of credit, and they have made all the right moves for this school in the recent past. I hope we see more of the same.

...and I think all fans, even those who expect more now are sticking with the team, Harry.

It is the passion that many show that makes this fan base great. Nobody is abandoning the team, the school or the kids who work their asses off for us and each other every single week. Many, rightfully so, are asking for the changes that clearly need to be made if we are to move to the next level.

So kudos to Dr. B and RV - scheduling this game was a brilliant move. And kudos to our fans who have stood by the team all year after a lot of adversity. I have a good feeling that a lot of people who were there tonight will be coming back. GMG!

Finally, a solid perspective.

Edited by Harry

Hey Jonas Buckles, hey Craig Jones, and you too Kim Phillips, Navy will pass about three to five times today, so you three stay back and forget about the pitch man coming up. Somebody else will surely take him.

My point. Take our best TALENT we've ever had, and add any of the countless others I've left off in my sarcastic example above, and you will have the same results if you place them in the same scheme we have played this year.

Aaron Weathers, who led this team in tackles with 113 in '05, which ranked him 2nd(SECOND) in the nation that year, who led this team in tackles last year with 78 and 5th in the conference, and who is currently 2nd on the team in tackles this year behind Derek Mendoza with 50 is credited for ONE TACKLE yesterday.

SOMEBODY FREAKING TELL ME HOW THAT'S ATTRIBUTABLE TO AARON WEATHERS TALENT?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Hey Jonas Buckles, hey Craig Jones, and you too Kim Phillips, Navy will pass about three to five times today, so you three stay back and forget about the pitch man coming up. Somebody else will surely take him.

My point. Take our best TALENT we've ever had, and add any of the countless others I've left off in my sarcastic example above, and you will have the same results if you place them in the same scheme we have played this year.

Aaron Weathers, who led this team in tackles with 113 in '05, which ranked him 2nd(SECOND) in the nation that year, who led this team in tackles last year with 78 and 5th in the conference, and who is currently 2nd on the team in tackles this year behind Derek Mendoza with 50 is credited for ONE TACKLE yesterday.

Rick

Well, I don't know much about defense since I'm an offensive expert :rolleyes: but Rick...........

...as I look at the collage of photos at the bottom of all your posts, have I somehow missed an announcement that you are runnning for public office or something? Well, if so..............

YOU'VE GOT MY VOTE! :thumbsup:

PS: Give me a call when you have time.

Rick

It's simple. Aaron Weathers has Dickey stank all over him. Therefore, he must not be talented.

Forget the amazing plays he makes or the hustle and leadership and anything else you might want to point to. Forget the fact that he may be behind only Johnny Quinn on the list of the worst NT Prospect casualties due to poor coaching.

He came in under Dickey and he hasn't already graduated. So he's not talented.

I think this game points to what a quality opponent will do for attendance, even with a 1-7 home team and Fouts. Navy also did bring close to 4,000 fans themselves. We must continue to work to get into a conference with closer teams and more quality opponents that fans want to see. Don't be surprised if the WKU game is the opposite in attendance. <_<

I agree. It also shows what Vizza can do with more time in the pocket to allow the plays to devolop. I thought our O line did a really good job for protection, but it was prob. because their D line was so bad.

It's simple. Aaron Weathers has Dickey stank all over him. Therefore, he must not be talented.

Forget the amazing plays he makes or the hustle and leadership and anything else you might want to point to. Forget the fact that he may be behind only Johnny Quinn on the list of the worst NT Prospect casualties due to poor coaching.

He came in under Dickey and he hasn't already graduated. So he's not talented.

TTG, its not necessarily a question of lack of talent from DD's recruits, I think recent events showed there were things happening that having talent or good coaching would ever overcome and you can start with..................D-I-S-C-I-P-L-I-N-E?

Earlier this season, when you had a (considered slow) QB from a SBC team out-run what used to be one of our defensive speedsters in past seasons, it would be easy to start thinking that just maybe even some of our defensive players that had enough talent to succeed at the SBC level may not have been using all their cylinders? I know, its easier to focus on one (coach) than a handful of players who may not have been giving it 100%, right?

Not all of DD's recruits are talent-less albeit DD seemed to recruit for what used to be our annual "shooting fish in the SBC barrell" competition of thrown together schools many that were new to NCAA D1-A.

Shhhh...........it's cancer.............Yet don't you have to treat cancer by cutting all of it completely out of the body? Well, I'm afraid much of this inaugural year of the Todd Dodge era has been spent (probably) much more time than they wanted doing such..

Was as much expected from DD in his 1'st year after he took Matt Simon's place? I think not and is the prime reason that Todd Dodge should have the same 5 years to go over .500 that DD was freely given, although I think Dodge and Staff will get their first over .500 season in Year 3.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Yet don't you have to treat cancer by cutting all of it completely out of the body? Well, I'm afraid much of this inaugural year of the Todd Dodge era has been spent (probably) much more time than they wanted to doing such.

There you have it - all upperclassmen on the team are cancers.

Awesome.

Speechless.

Quoner, your name says it all. Go play now.

I'm getting dismissed by the real resident court jester? I'm not making this personal, but the A&M fanbase made the same sorry excuses for Coach Fran when he came in and didn't live up to expectations.

"Just wait until he gets his players, then it really takes off."

It sue did, guys.

Yes, the talent will improve, but there is no reason to:

a.) Rationalize failure now

b.) Slit wrist and blame everything that happened before on Dickey. Your calls for accountability while rationalizing current fialure are hypocritcal and stupid and the only reason more people don't call you on this is because you wear them out.

Untalented players don't produce some of the numbers our upperclassmen have. You can dismiss me all you want for making jokes that don't go over well in the geritol demographic, but your dimentia-induced drivel dismissing half the team is much more harmful than anything I have ever posted.

In the end, it all means nothing, but enjoy that high horse. And please keep us posted on the stadium.

Edited by Quoner

I'm getting dismissed by the real resident court jester? I'm not making this personal, but the A&M fanbase made the same sorry excuses for Coach Fran when he came in and didn't live up to expectations.

"Just wait until he gets his players, then it really takes off."

It sue did, guys.

Yes, the talent will improve, but there is no reason to:

a.) Rationalize failure now

b.) Slit wrist and blame everything that happened before on Dickey. Your calls for accountability while rationalizing current fialure are hypocritcal and stupid and the only reason more people don't call you on this is because you wear them out.

Untalented players don't produce some of the numbers our upperclassmen have. You can dismiss me all you want for making jokes that don't go over well in the geritol demographic, but your dimentia-induced drivel dismissing half the team is much more harmful than anything I have ever posted.

In the end, it all means nothing, but enjoy that high horse. And please keep us posted on the stadium.

Q Boy, I've probably forgotten more about football than you seem to know about it. In fact, besides lusting after those who would wear jockstraps, have you ever worn one to play the game?

Court Jestor? Go look in the mirror (with your clothes on).

TAMU and UNT? Apples and Oranges...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

PS: Rather than debate me on this thread and ruin something meant to support yesterday's experience, just feel free to PM me your rebuttal if you feel the need. Of course, that would mean I'm under your skin and you're not done with me, so belaboring this thread shouldn't be an issue anyway.

PS: Rather than debate me on this thread and ruin something meant to support yesterday's experience, just feel free to PM me your rebuttal if you feel the need. Of course, that would mean I'm under your skin and you're not done with me, so belaboring this thread shouldn't be an issue anyway.

Podnuh, you sorta' started this, right?

Your response to a post that was non-threatening to anyone:

There you have it - all upperclassmen on the team are cancers.

Awesome.

Speechless.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen