Dodge Media Conference On Monday

newuntfan07

October 02, 2007

UNT QB update, news on Chatman

A couple of interesting notes came out of the first day of media availability this week at UNT.

Here goes ...

Head coach Todd Dodge addressed his quarterback situation at his weekly media conference and said that Daniel Meager will be his starter Saturday at Louisiana-Lafayette. Meager played well at times against SMU and Florida Atlantic but has also struggled at times. Dodge said he had no plans laid out to play Giovanni Vizza like he did last week when the freshman played the second quarter against Arkansas.

Unlike last week in its game against the Hogs, UNT appears to have a decent chance to win. It doesn't surprise me that Dodge isn't going to lock himself into a substitution pattern -- at least not publicly.

Let the Dan-Wagon roll.

In other UNT news, sophomore defensive back Desmon Chatman has been suspended from the team indefinitely. Chatman has played sparingly this season. He started two games last year and led UNT with four pass breakups.

Posted by Brett Vito at 11:08 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

How is this crap/a joke?

Dodge isn't going to win many games this year... that much is clear. but he is building a foundation. The kids are learning the offense, and consistency is a key to learning.

I can see why he keeps with Meager... he is the more experienced QB. Why risk injury to Giovanni in a rebuilding year?

NewUNTfan07...and just what makes that news conference a joke or crap? You certainly did not say why you thought so in your posting...at least I didn't "get it" if you did. Why would Dodge play his hand about his QB's to the media, and what was it about the Chatman suspension that was either "crap or a joke"?

Just wondering...since you are a "new" UNT fan, perhaps you don't know about all the real "stuff" the "old" UNT fans have suffered the last few years under Dickey.....Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...me thinks there is something rotten in Denmark with your post!

I can understand wanting to protect GV from the ridicule that Dodge experienced as a freshman qb BUT it has got to be eating a way at a young man who has rarely lost a game in his life watch his team lose week in and week out without being able to help.

NOTE to all: Meager is the starter. He will be the starter the rest of the season. Make arguments for, get ticked off all you want, make arguments for Vizza all you want, but the start is and will be Meager the rest of the season.

I am new to the board but why would Daniel Meager start the rest of the season if North Texas loses anymore games? What would be the purpose in that? I have seen Vizza only play in high school but if they have used his red shirt and the conference is out of the question, then why wouldn't you start him to get the experience? I know this kid very well. He is a flat out winner. He is a fierce football player who hates to lose. North Texas fans probably have no idea what this guy can do once he matures and get his chance on the field agaisnt level competition (not OU and Ark.)

North Texas fans probably have no idea what this guy can do once he matures and get his chance on the field agaisnt level competition (not OU and Ark.)

I was impressed with what he did against OU and UA. Especially when compared to a 4th yr junior.

I am new to the board but why would Daniel Meager start the rest of the season if North Texas loses anymore games? What would be the purpose in that? I have seen Vizza only play in high school but if they have used his red shirt and the conference is out of the question, then why wouldn't you start him to get the experience? I know this kid very well. He is a flat out winner. He is a fierce football player who hates to lose. North Texas fans probably have no idea what this guy can do once he matures and get his chance on the field agaisnt level competition (not OU and Ark.)

Not disagreeing with you at all. I am taking what Dodge has said repeatedly over and over about who is starter is, and I believe that he will continue to start Meager the rest of the season - he might let Vizza play more and more as the season goes, I just don't hear him making any kind of move towards that. He may totally change if we lose saturday, who knows.

I think newuntfan might be confused that TD is not going to have a set plan for the QB situation. Maybe TD does in fact have his plan but isn't revealing what he is going to do. Only my assumption.

What? Are you now "SplitPersonalityDodge2007" or is that "SplitPersonalityNewUntFan07"?

Argueing with yourself has me even less concerned for you.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I can see why he keeps with Meager... he is the more experienced QB. Why risk injury to Giovanni in a rebuilding year?

Then why burn Vizza's redshirt? I would of kept Tune or Phillips as the back up and Meager as the experienced QB for this year. Vizza'a chance for play time at Nevada would of been challenging at best because they have 4 freshman QB's & a sophomore QB. Well, you can't unscramble a scrambled egg, I would give Vizza more opportunities to play Meager just has too many turnovers to be efficient and reliable as a QB. You got's to take care of the ball Grossman, I mean Meager.

The other article from today said that Dodge could play Vizza on Saturday...just that he was not pegged as the starter. It even said that Vizza could play in the game even if it was very close if it gave us our best chance to win (or something to that effect).

I'm now firmly in the Vizza camp...but as GMG1999 keeps pointing out, Coach seems to be content with Meager as a starter, and that is more than likely what we're gonna get.

Let me remind people about certain rules:

* While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.

* Multiple or repeated posting in order to increase your post count is not allowed.

* Advertising, spamming and trolling is not allowed. This includes using the forum email and Private message system to spam other members.

* Each member is allowed one login account. Registering with multiple accounts is not allowed.

* We reserve the right to remove offensive posts without notice.

* We also reserve the right to ban anyone who willfully violates the forum rules.

* Also while these rules cover most common situations, they cannot anticipate everything. Consequently we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way.

* You cannot post any affiliate or referral links, or post anything asking for a referral. Such posts will be subject to removal.

* Do not argue with the Admins about proper use and policy.

Here is my thought on this:

UNT is technically still not "out" of winning the Belt. Dodge must think Meager gives NT the best chance to win. As much as we all think otherwise, Dodge does not. I would be willing to bet, as soon as the Belt title is officially out of NT's grasp, Vizza will start from there on out.

B)

Edited by Got5onIt

Here's what screwy about the Vizza Cultists:

They say they "trust Todd Dodge's judgement" etc. But, when he won't put in the QB who keeps throwing inteceptions for touchdowns against scout teamers, they're mad. Because Dodge won't put in a guy who can't even complete 50% of his passes against scout teamers and walk on during blowouts, they're miffed.

Get real, Vizza Cultists. He hasn't done anything to show he can do the job from snap one of a ball game. If anything, he's proven he needs to be right where he is - on the bench.

If Dodge was seeing something different, he'd start Vizza. But, he's not. He's been a coach for a long time. He sees the two guys every day in practice. He knows - you don't.

If you really trust Todd Dodge's judgement, quit your Meager bashing and shut the f up.

Whiney babies.

They say they "trust Todd Dodge's judgement" etc. But, when he won't put in the QB who keeps throwing inteceptions for touchdowns against scout teamers, they're mad. Because Dodge won't put in a guy who can't even complete 50% of his passes against scout teamers and walk on during blowouts, they're miffed.

Get real, Vizza Cultists. He hasn't done anything to show he can do the job from snap one of a ball game. If anything, he's proven he needs to be right where he is - on the bench.

If Dodge was seeing something different, he'd start Vizza. But, he's not. He's been a coach for a long time. He sees the two guys every day in practice. He knows - you don't.

If you really trust Todd Dodge's judgement, quit your Meager bashing and shut the f up.

Whiney babies.

What he said.

Here is my thought on this:

UNT is technically still not "out" of winning the Belt. Dodge must think Meager gives NT the best chance to win. As much as we all think otherwise, Dodge does not. I would be willing to bet, as soon as the Belt title is officially out of NT's grasp, Vizza will start from there on out.

B)

I agree. While I personally feel Meager simply doesn't have the ability to get it done, Dodge probably feels he hasn't seen enough of the guy to be sure. To be honest, NONE of us really know what we saw in Meager before, because of the coaching situation. Right now, we're not out of the conference race by any means, and Dodge isn't going to declare it a lost season and start the true freshman at this point, NOR is he going to declare Meager a lost cause until he sees all he can.

I don't LIKE the decision, but I understand and respect it. I believe Vizza would probably give us as much of a chance to win as Meager does, but I can understand a hesitancy to go jerking QBs around when you're not officially out of it.

Now, I really have a problem with people who try to compare the 2 QBs too much at this point based on this current season. Meager enters the game at 0-0. Vizza enters the game with us down by a jillion points. Of course he's trying to make things happen. AND he's a freshman, not RS-junior.

Whiney babies.

Are we ABSOLUTELY sure there isn't something stronger than the "ignore poster" option?

Real Lonnie Finch where are you? And can you please, pretty please, keep your kid brother away from the keyboard?

Whiney babies.

No, seriously, how do you really feel about it? Please don't hold back...give us your straight-up honest opinion on the subject.

What? Are you now "SplitPersonalityDodge2007" or is that "SplitPersonalityNewUntFan07"?

Argueing with yourself has me even less concerned for you.

Rick

Not sure but I guess I'll take this as a compliment. But rather than being Austin Powers and Doctor Evil, I'd really like to be is a stud 19 year old DB who can play ball for UNT.

We need help in the secondary and I could also return punts and kickoffs.

Edited by Dodge2007

Whiney babies.

You've brought up plenty of good points in the last couple of weeks, but this is one where I just don't agree with the assessment. When we were moving the ball and scored against Arkansas in the 2nd quarter, it was not against scout teamers. Meager made plenty of mistakes in the games as well. I know that you know this. Some people expect more out of their RS Junior QB (and I'm not laying everything at Danny's feet for these losses) and would rather see what the future can do in these games. Maybe if we end up with a 2nd loss in Sunbelt.

You can agree with Dodge's overall plan, and still question some of the things we are seeing on the field ie. defense, inconsistent QB play, and overall poor special teams. That doesn't make you a "Whiney Baby".

While I disagree with the rather agressive manner of his delivery, I agree with Fake Lonnie on this point:

If Dodge was seeing something different, he'd start Vizza. But, he's not. He's been a coach for a long time. He sees the two guys every day in practice.

After just four games, I have no reason to not trust the coaches to distribute playing time.

I have no idea if Vizza would give us a better chance to win now, but if Coach Dodge believes that Vizza's development is better served by not starting now, then that is the correct decision. And there is no doubt that Coach Dodge is the best person to make that decision.