1st And Ten At Ou

LongJim

Judas Priest...

Okay, I'll start:

I think that UNT can possibly have some success by attacking the defensive ends and the medium pass. I would like to get the TE involved heavily in a crossing route/wheel route, and use the RB's off tackle, believe it or not. I think UNT should attack OU's secondary deep, if possible.

OU's linebackers are fast, but they are not all-world. I would have a back or TE back there all day. Their DE's are suspect to me, until they prove otherwise. Their DT's are pretty terrific. I believe the medium passing game is there if UNT can get the QB time. I believe UNT will have trouble running inside unless they can spread the DL out some. The draw may actually be a viable play.

1st: TE on a wheel.

2nd: Medium pass behind LB's on crossing route.

3rd: QB rollout and pass to RB on shallow crossing route.

Judas Priest...

Okay, I'll start:

I think that UNT can possibly have some success by attacking the defensive ends and the medium pass. I would like to get the TE involved heavily in a crossing route/wheel route, and use the RB's off tackle, believe it or not. I think UNT should attack OU's secondary deep, if possible.

OU's linebackers are fast, but they are not all-world. I would have a back or TE back there all day. Their DE's are suspect to me, until they prove otherwise. Their DT's are pretty terrific. I believe the medium passing game is there if UNT can get the QB time. I believe UNT will have trouble running inside unless they can spread the DL out some. The draw may actually be a viable play.

1st: TE on a wheel.

2nd: Medium pass behind LB's on crossing route.

3rd: QB rollout and pass to RB on shallow crossing route.

Todge's offenses have never used a TE, although he has hinted at incorporating some new plays that would take advantage of the TEs on our roster from the previous regime. My guess is that he has something planned for the TE in 1st and goal situations, not in mid-field.

You're right about the LB: possibly the weakest part of their D. I've heard the trenches are the best in Norman since Stoops took over, and the secondary could be out of this world. So here we are, looking at those LBs to see what they can do. Just curious LongJim: have you seen something/anything that makes you think the DE's are suspect?

Todge's offenses have never used a TE, although he has hinted at incorporating some new plays that would take advantage of the TEs on our roster from the previous regime. My guess is that he has something planned for the TE in 1st and goal situations, not in mid-field.

You're right. I should have said that I would have a SLOT or even an RB running the wheel. Call me old school. We ran the Veer. :P

You're right about the LB: possibly the weakest part of their D. I've heard the trenches are the best in Norman since Stoops took over, and the secondary could be out of this world. So here we are, looking at those LBs to see what they can do. Just curious LongJim: have you seen something/anything that makes you think the DE's are suspect?

On paper, the OU DL is all-world. I'm not sold on them yet, though. I think they're good, no doubt, but I'm not going to call them the best ever yet. I would be wearing those linebackers out chasing receivers all day. The WR's are going to need some Icy Hot when this one is over. Secondary: I think if UNT can get Wolfe in man to man, they can toast him. DL: I think Granger is a fantastic player on paper, but I'm waiting to see how much effort he puts out, but if either one of the tackles can draw a double-team most of the day, then OU is going to run some blitzes, and it will be a long day for UNT, unless Meager can pick it up well. If he can, and more importantly, the line and RB's can, then it could get interesting.

OU is very thin at DT, and there is potential for them to tire as the game progresses. Unfortunately, fatigue will be a factor for the good guys at this point, also. The DE's are a question mark, but I haven't seen anything personally to confirm this. If I had the choice of running against them or the DT's, I would run at the DE's.

UNT's defense: Stop the run. That is going to be very difficult to do Saturday.

There are a lot of intangibles going for UNT on game day. If they can go into Norman and not be intimidated, there's the possibility of giving OU a respectable game, IMO. I predicted 45-6 or so, but I can see 35-17, as well.

I don't think J-Mo (or whoever lines up at TB...please let it be J-Mo) takes a handoff on the first series. Give Danny a few slants and stops and WR screens for 3-5 yarrds to hopefully build his confidence...plus its touch to underthrow those routes

Well now, 1st and 10 at the 27. I need to find out the OU defense will try to do.

First, I am thinking they will blitz, and be in "man to man" coverage. Second, the

OU staff believes the OU players cannot be beat by the NT players at any position,

and third, they will want to disguise defensive looks to confuse our QB.

With Dodge Ball, the QB must pass the ball within 3 seconds. With the OU d- rush,

that is about all the time our QB will have. First thing-do not take a sack-throw the ball

away-safely! Do not get a int by forcing a pass play. Play smart-do not get stupid. OL-

do not hold! Pay attention to the snap count and assigned blocking package.

I would have WR's going deep, crossing paterns, clear out a zone. Hit the medium and

short routes quickly. Blitz coming, dump off to RB. If the QB is in trouble, take off-get

what you can, then SLIDE! Do not try and run over the opponent!

The offense will need for the WR's and Slot Recievers to get the yards after catch.

So, I will dink and dunk on short/medium pass routes, to start. Keep the tempo of

the game going with the no huddle before OU can adjust, look for "mis-match"

opportunties, and see how the OU defense reacts. I would use the receivers to clear

out zones on the corners, drag CB/Safetys away from the play, to give Thomas some

room to do his thing. Key is to figure out what OU will give up on defense and attack

what they give us, and take advantage of their aggressive nature. Their players tend to

become frustrated easily- as Bosie State proved!

On first down what we need to do is get in their head.

Line up strong left. Meager takes a shotgun snap and rolls right w/ 2 lead blockers.

Just before the blitz catches up w/ him he fires off a rocket to the OU sideline and does his best to knock Stoop's visor sideways.

If that works, second down should be no problem.

1. Single back, 4 wide, audible to "weakside" of defense and run a draw with Jamario.

2. Single back, 3 wide, motion Jamario out of the backfield and run a screen with him.

3. Single back, 4 wide, audible to "weakside"of defense and run a drw with Jamario.

4. Make sure to run the play clock all the way to 1 second before each snap.

5. Wash, rinse, repeat.

:D