Mustangs Talk About Riley

greenminer

SMU is just sick because their QB situation sucks. They have no one behind Justin Willis. They offered Riley early and thought he might go there instead of playing for his dad, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

SMU is just hurting for QB's and could only wish they could have gotten Riley. The kid they recruited this year that they signed from Springtown throws as many int's as TD's. SMU only wishes they had Riley, Tune, and Vizza in their future. UNT is looking solid for several seasons.

Careful not to go too far. Riley is only an oral committment, and another switch could have some of us eating our words.

Careful not to go too far. Riley is only an oral committment, and another switch could have some of us eating our words.

We hear what your saying greenminer, but the situation involving R'odge's "de-committ" is obviously much more different than other "de-committs" that will be taking place over the next academic year.

I think it would really be safe for all of us to say:

WECOME TO MEAN COUNTRY, RILEY DODGE! YOU WILL PLAY A BIG PART OF YOUR DAD'S HISTORY-MAKING IN DENTON, TEXAS, AMERICA!

(Sorry, folks, but I just love those Reader's Digest giant letter edition, uh, letters). :P

Most of us UNT'ers always haggle SMU on their death penalty to be frank with you the NCAA screwed them and totally killed their athletic program. Every university in this nation deserves the death penalty in some way because they all cheat.....it just so happens SMU was the lone man out that got it in their arse. I've always wondered why we pay attention to SMU so much and care what they think and say because to be frank with you guys they really dont give a rats arse about us so lets just forget what's going on at SMU for once.

Ummm... No. SMUt screwed themselves. Yes, they cheat just like other programs do. They got the death penalty because of the arrogance they showed to the NCAA during and after the investigation. SMUt just wanted to keep doing their under the table business as usual. It gave the NCAA no choice but the kill them. Hey, at 0U, they knew enough to act like they didn't know about the payments and then pretended to do something about it.

Ummm... No. SMUt screwed themselves. Yes, they cheat just like other programs do. They got the death penalty because of the arrogance they showed to the NCAA during and after the investigation. SMUt just wanted to keep doing their under the table business as usual. It gave the NCAA no choice but the kill them. Hey, at 0U, they knew enough to act like they didn't know about the payments and then pretended to do something about it.

Right.

Care to elaborate how you know about this supposed arrogance they showed? They kept doing it, and the NCAA enforced the just-created "death penalty" because both sides had NO IDEA how destructive it would become. The committee learned from the Mustang case to never enforce it again. You could make a case that these schools are still doing it today because they know ultimately the DP will never be enforced again. So, I guess every program is arrogant? That single act of punishment has had SMU realing for 2 decades.

The death penalty decimated the Southwest Conference's reputation and finances, contributing to the collapse of the entire conference in 1996. One of the most memorable quotes about the death penalty came from former University of Florida President John Lombardi, "SMU taught the committee that the death penalty is too much like the atomic bomb. It's like what happened after we dropped the (atom) bomb in World War II. The results were so catastrophic that now we'll do anything to avoid dropping another one."

SMU and the death penalty

*edit*

I guess I got sidetracked. I don't disagree that SMU deserved punishment. But no one should have suffered through what they had to go through. FWIW, there's an interesting opinion on CFN in regards to "what if" pay-for-play was allowed:

If boosters were allowed to go after recruits in a bidding war, take a guess who’d be good. USC, Ohio State, Florida, Michigan, Texas, Notre Dame … all the big schools that already get all the top players. The Boise States and Tulsas of the world would still get the same players they get right now, but remember what SMU used to be able to do when it was “dirty” and bought all the top talent back in the 1980s. The boosters bought a good football team. Now, take Oklahoma State. In the current system, OSU will never, ever win a national title, and if it does, it’ll be a major shock. If T. Boone Pickens (the uber-booster who donated over $100 million to the football program) threw some of his money at recruits, the Cowboys would have a chance.

Everyone’s knee-jerk reaction to all this is always one of shock and indignation, because you’ve all been brainwashed by the system that college football is still played by amateurs. My plan is already happening in many places, but it’s just under the table.

Edited by greenminer

gruu,

I am all for a harsh punishment but I strongly believe that the death penalty was not the way to go....in the end it did not really lessen cheating in NCAA athletics cuz it still exists throughout. That just killed the SMU athletics program and they may have been arrogant but a lot of the big schools are arrogant. The death penalty will NEVER be instituted again not because other schools are smart to play it off but because they saw what it did to SMU which ultimately to this point has there ever been any kind of recooperation. Again I am not an SMU apologist but I am just commenting based on what I have observed, experienced.

Edited by Green Mean

I agree 100%. We love to talk about how irrelevant they are in the college football world. Then why do some of our members spend so much time focusing on what they are doing or saying about us? Who cares? Let's focus on getting better as a program.

BTW...I know that we need a rival. SMU is not it. They don't care about us. They wan't to be TCU's rival and TCU (as a whole) doesn't want anything to do with them either. Let's not be be that school. The one that so badly want's to be rivals with another that could care less.

For the record, I think we should try to restart our series with NMSU and try and build a rivalry there. It was the closest thing to a rivalry that we had in the Belt. Or, approach UH and see about starting a home-away series. Could make for an interesting rivalry.

It is obvious that many of you don't work in the metroplex every day , and live with the arrogance that is SMU-- I don't consider them a rival, they are the enemy and when we play them we should follow the lead of William Wallace in Braveheart in our approach. As for all this sickening outpouring of sympathy for them over the Death Penalty---read my lips--SMU DID SOMETHING NEVER DONE BEFORE OR SINCE IN NCAA HISTORY AND THE PUNISHMENT FIT THE CRIME!!!!!!! They were not just being arrogant about paying players. They had actual annuity contracts with some, and they were genuinely scared of being sued for breach of contract. Never in the history of any type of organized sport has any group had such blatant disregard for the rules. Sept. 8th should be remembered not for pity for the death penalty but as the day the "teacher's college" buried SMU in their own back yard.

gruu,

I am all for a harsh punishment but I strongly believe that the death penalty was not the way to go....in the end it did not really lessen cheating in NCAA athletics cuz it still exists throughout. That just killed the SMU athletics program and they may have been arrogant but a lot of the big schools are arrogant. The death penalty will NEVER be instituted again not because other schools are smart to play it off but because they saw what it did to SMU which ultimately to this point has there ever been any kind of recooperation. Again I am not an SMU apologist but I am just commenting based on what I have observed, experienced.

I guarantee you that if the NCAA had the nads to institute this again and again for the likes of OU and Alabama that continue to get caught cheating it would lessen cheating. Every team knows that the NCAA won't do it again, so they aren't worried about it.

Kind of like arresting criminals. Stop doing it and nobody is afraid to break the law.

I think the reason for the death penalty was to make a point but I don't think tne NCAA wiould or will go after the money programs, that would cost them to much$, easier to pick off the weak.

Truer words were never spoken.

SMUUUUUU just cannot get over that they offered both Giovanni and Riley and got zero interest.

Vizza was headed to Nevada except for the late push by Dodge himself.

Riley is just smart (along with Todd) that giving a verbal now creates excitement that MIGHT yield us an additional one or two kids who otherwise might have gone to a school like Tulsa, Houston, Boise, or some other WAC or Conf. USA team.