North Texas...

NT03

I realize that we are the Mean Green , w/ a mascot a Eagle. This is confusing not only to the rest of the College World , but to current students and fellow alumni. So my question is this , " What if we could officially name ourselves with a vote and it would stick forever, what would you want it to be ? "

Id prefer the MEAN GREEN EAGLES. No MEAN GREEN & EAGLES , just the MEAN GREEN EAGLES

I think we could $$$ in on merchandise w/ the Albino Squirrels ( while also being the laughing stock of America)

Edited by NT03

Mean Green only. The word eagles never written in text. SOW and Scrappy is fine.

Like Bama w/ the Elephant ??

I could live w/ the SOW , but Scrappy's got to go if we were just the Mean Green. How about someone as the incredible hulk at games ?

Id prefer the MEAN GREEN EAGLES. No MEAN GREEN & EAGLES , just the MEAN GREEN EAGLES

I'd prefer it if we stopped rethinking our identity, uniform and helmets all the time, which betrays a lack of confidence in our school and athletic programs.

I'd prefer it if we stopped rethinking our identity, uniform and helmets all the time, which betrays a lack of confidence in our school and athletic programs.

is betrays the word you want here? portrays? anywho...I agree...and The Mean Green is unique and what we've been running with for the past 10 years. As for Scrappy...he stays...the Auburn Tigers has an Eagle, the Crimson Tide has an elephant, a Midshipman is somehow represented by a Ram and I'm sure there are more examples.

There are at least 2 other "Eagles" right here in our backyard. The Argyle Eagles and the Valley View Eagles. Further south, there's the Richardson Eagles. But, in all the world, there's only one, Mean Green.

If you think about it, we're really very fortunate. When someone says Mean Green, everyone should know what university they're refering to.

Join the Mean Green Club (see, we've even got a club ! )

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

Mascot: Eagles

Nickname: Mean Green

Personally, I don't understand why College graduates find this confusing. <_<

This is how I have always understood it. Nebraska fans can yell out "Go Huskers" or "Go Big Red" without befuddling others in attendance. I don't think if someone yells out, "Go Eagles," people will think an Argyle fan must be in the stands.

Mascot: Eagles

Nickname: Mean Green

Personally, I don't understand why College graduates find this confusing. <_<

Thank you. If you picked June 6th as the date this would come up in the off season, you've won the jackpot. Let the a$$ whipping commence.

GreenJoe....when was the last time the Mean Green "Club" did anything as a "Club"....seems to me it's just a name for a sales campaign for tickets....I think it would be great if the Mean Green Club actually operated as a Club where members had some contact with each other, when events are held for the members and where members "enjoy" some specific "real" benefits other than the "right" to pay full price for tickets after a donation....hey, not complaining, I know that's how it's done in "big time" college athletics these days, but wouldn't it be nteresting if the Mean Green Club was actually a "Club"...you never know where that might take us in the way of additional ticket sales for both football and basketball, more folks watching our VERY GOOD women's soccer team, etc., etc. Just wondering.....

Good point. I recall that we, the Mean Green Club, has had "club" activities in the past, and I guess I thought that many times when I was called or otherwise made aware of things Green, it was because of the Mean Green Club.

I'm not looking at the 'Club for much of anything, except the right to purchase 50 yard line seats, and up close parking. I also want a top notch product on the field/court/diamond/pool/pit. etc.

There's a lot I can't do for NT Athletics. I can give them less than $2 per day per year.

Join the Mean Green Club ( or did I say that ?)

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN (contributing to the Athletic dept. is what makes them go )

PS I agree with KRAM !. We should get together as a group and do things.

Edited by greenjoe

Who voted for the ALBINO SQUIRRELS?!?! :angry:

I don't like it either but I am happy to see at least one Albino Squirrel supporter cares enough about the program to be on the board. If we could get the rest of them to care about athletics maybe we could sell out a game or two.

Bama's mascot is an elephant, but they are called the "Crimson Tide".

Bama is a poor example. The problem is that the official branding of UNT does not include the word Eagle anywhere. If I see an elephant in any shape or form I know its an elephant. The "bird of prey" used by UNT could be a falcon, hawk, seagull, or nearlly anything. Oh yea, it could be an eagle as well. If you are not from UNT then all you would know is that the mascot must be some kind of bird of prey. It's all a matter of p

erspective. To the outsider it is very confusing so if you want to build a stron brand, it should be cleared up.

The key to branding something is to make it simple enough that anyone can get it first pass. Apple Computer uses an apple.....wow. Compare that to HP if they were to have a round piece of friut that was "occationaly" dropped next to their name on occation. Imagine if the shape was without color but it typically looked something could be an apple, peach, mango, plumb, or 10 other choices. Is that more confusing than Apple Computer? Bama has a huge tradition and a simple mascot. Nobody confuses an elephant with anyting else. Maybe a nameless squirle would be better after all.

I'm not going to mention any other school here other than ours. For the longest time I was always under the impression that we were the North Texas Eagles as our official name. Mean Green was just like our nickname. I know Mean Green is unique but I think its more unique if its a nickname and we should be the North Texas Eagles. I started attending UNT in 2004 and I had no idea our name had changed or it was about to change and it was a sudden shock to me because I always knew us as the North Texas Eagles. To me I think we will always be the North Texas Eagles with our other nickname the Mean Green....its just more unique and powerful to me for some reason.

OH the HUMANITY!!! How many times must we repeat this, just stop already. :blowup: