Is There Something Radioactive At Unt?!

Travis

"Some students at UNT consider the albino squirrel an unofficial mascot and good-luck charm. Just last month, a memorial was dedicated at the Cyber Café of the UNT Willis Library in honor of "Baby." "

Are we freaking serious. I can see it now 'North Texas Albino Squirrels'.We need to create an 'Albino Squirrel Hunting Society'...FAST!

IMHO, absolutely nothing that increases the quirkiness and uniqueness and student identity of the UNT campus can possibly be a bad thing, even if it does make noise when it gets caught in your attic.

Students have distributed petitions to make the UNT Albino Squirrels the mascot since the first one showed up. At some other school, the nominee was the Fighting Artichokes. Not to worry.

It's just a kid thing. People want kids to grow up too fast.

Besides, I for one believe that our university is in fact not threatened by a squirrel. I may have my enemies on this, but I can take it.

I don't condone killing the albino squirrels, but I wish the students would back off of the whole "second mascot" thing. They're unique, yes, and we've had 3 or 4 over the past handful of years. I'm all for there being a "fan club" or "preservation society," but to try to push a "second mascot" and memorials is a bit far.

I have never ever seen anything like this outside of UNT. and for some reason there has been three of them since my involvement with this friggin university. What's the deal??!!?!

The b@stards are very common. So is the 'interest' in the subject.

Sigh.

I don't condone killing the albino squirrels, but I wish the students would back off of the whole "second mascot" thing. They're unique, yes, and we've had 3 or 4 over the past handful of years. I'm all for there being a "fan club" or "preservation society," but to try to push a "second mascot" and memorials is a bit far.

Why?

So is this one an Evil Mutant!

Let me break out my guitar and '60s hippie outfit for this one:

"Come on people now

Smile on your brother

Everybody get together

Try to Love the Albino Squirrel right now"

The Albino Squirrel Preservation Society is seeking a name for the new one on campus. Perhaps Hawk Bait would be a good moniker.

Athletics will suggest we slap a "North Texas" on it (in correct font), so newspaper readers will be able to identify where it came from in photos. <_<

squirrel.jpg

"You talkin' to me?"

That's the best post since I've been a member! There's something about animal humor.

As for the squirrel, I don't have a problem with anything about it, except the talk about it being a mascot. Besides that, I think it brings another unique touch to the school.

It began in an old oak tree on the quiet campus: a tiny arboreal creature was born with a brilliant white coat.

Soon the groundswell began. With just four days remaining before the end of the semester, students knew they were racing the clock.

Before anyone knew it, the movement that at first consisted of a dozen students who happened to like the albino squirrel had taken command of the university.

A few brave alumni protested, predicting that the expressions of a few students would confuse people at a critical time for the university's identity.

But the objections were for naught. Because a small handful of students dared the power structure -- even posting photos of a predecessor albino squirrel in the campus library's coffee shop and expressing happiness that a new one had been born -- the president, chancellor, and Board of Regents acknowledged that despite all their past attempts to brand the university, their hands were tied. The college teams would be known forever as the Albino Squirrels.

Gone was Scrappy, the campus' dancing eagle. Gone was the Mean Green, the name that was supposed to set the college apart.

Gone was the Talon, the upraised eagle claw hand symbol. Instead, boosters now signaled their collegiate allegiance by holding both hands in front of their mouths and pretending to eat an acorn.

Tim the Announcer now had to proclaim before each game, "Heeeere come the ALBINO SQUIRRRRELLLLLS!"

When the football team won its conference and then a post-season bowl, the victories were hollow because they were won by the Albino Squirrels.

When the basketball team advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament for the first time in college history, the sting of the team's name trumped all celebration.

If only the students, blinded by their youthful optimism and enthusiasm, had listened to their more experienced elders, who had counseled against such dangerously cheerful pursuits with all the worldly wisdom of a neighborhood crank telling punks to get off his lawn.

But there was a bright spot: Officially licensed Albino Squirrel apparel became the rage across the country. It sold nationwide like Toledo Mudhens hats. The university made millions in merchandise fees. With the astonishing profits it made from $45 T-shirts with the albino squirrel logo on them, the UnderArmour athletic clothing company fully paid for a giant new football stadium, which was christened UnderArmour Albino Squirrel Field.

And it all began with one deceptively cute little creature hiding in a tree, and some college kids happy for a diversion during exam week.

You have been warned.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

I'll be interested in this when they find a GREEN squirrel on campus. I will be more interested if the green squirrel mates with the white squirrel and produces a green and white tiger-striped squirrel. I will be most interested if the green and white tiger-striped squirrel is packing heat like in Smitty's picture, though I would also be willing to accept one wielding a large battle axe. There's one for you D&D nerds out there. I guess that is Guild Wars or something in today's vernacular. Speaking of which I'd be EXTREMELY interested in a ninja green and white tiger-striped squirrel packing heat (preferably as an appendage a la Grindhouse) AND wielding a large battle axe and capable of magical incantations. Smitty please get to work on some imagery for this cause when the administration sees it they'll want it as the mascot for the new University of North Texas at Del Rio.