Baylor's 4th Game Of The Season Is At Buffalo

This is in regards to their 2007 football schedule. On 9/22 the Bears play at Buffalo University.

I'm glad that someone else brought this up. I was looking at the future schedules of Big 12 and CUSA Texas teams, plus other teams from surrounding states, and I'm amazed that we are not on any of their schedules other than this years SMU game. I sure hope our AD is hard at work trying to schudule Baylor, TCU, TxTech, SMU, Houston, UTEP, Rice, Tulsa, Houston, Tulane, Oklahoma State, La Tech, etc. We must continue to play these schools. And I don't necessarily mean the UT's and A $ M's of the world(although I'd like to go up against the Aggie$ again. Look at the Aggie$ schedule this year. Montana State and ULM. Last year they played The Citadel and a couple of other lame schools. Why not keep the money in the state of Texas and schedule UNT?

I'm glad that someone else brought this up. I was looking at the future schedules of Big 12 and CUSA Texas teams, plus other teams from surrounding states, and I'm amazed that we are not on any of their schedules other than this years SMU game. I sure hope our AD is hard at work trying to schudule Baylor, TCU, TxTech, SMU, Houston, UTEP, Rice, Tulsa, Houston, Tulane, Oklahoma State, La Tech, etc. We must continue to play these schools. And I don't necessarily mean the UT's and A $ M's of the world(although I'd like to go up against the Aggie$ again. Look at the Aggie$ schedule this year. Montana State and ULM. Last year they played The Citadel and a couple of other lame schools. Why not keep the money in the state of Texas and schedule UNT?

This is my fear that the Texas/Oklahoma schools (not UT, OU, or A&M) won't schedule us again unless it is just a road visit here or there. I think that alot of folks know what Dodge will be able to do for our program and they have no interest in being first or second on the list of his conquests at UNT. I could be wrong, but I just don't see SMU playing us again after this year. Their fans, just like TCUs a few years back, don't feel that it is their best interest to play us regularly. That is why the Navy game and others like it are very important that we attend very well and show other schools that we are someone to play regularly. If we can't get these Texas/Oklahoma schools to play us, lets get Memphis, Soutehrn Miss, UAB, Wyoming, New Mexico, or Colorado State to sign a home and home series.

This is my fear that the Texas/Oklahoma schools (not UT, OU, or A&M) won't schedule us again unless it is just a road visit here or there. I think that alot of folks know what Dodge will be able to do for our program and they have no interest in being first or second on the list of his conquests at UNT. I could be wrong, but I just don't see SMU playing us again after this year. Their fans, just like TCUs a few years back, don't feel that it is their best interest to play us regularly. That is why the Navy game and others like it are very important that we attend very well and show other schools that we are someone to play regularly. If we can't get these Texas/Oklahoma schools to play us, lets get Memphis, Soutehrn Miss, UAB, Wyoming, New Mexico, or Colorado State to sign a home and home series.

I've been concerned about our lack of scheduling Texas school before Dodge was hired. But I agree that our situation could get worse, depending on how successful TD is.

BTW, Buffalo also visits Penn State for only the second meeting...Buffalo won the first game 10-0!

....of course it was back in 1900.

........................................................................................................................................

Bulls Announce 2007 Football Schedule

Bulls will host Baylor as well as play at Penn State, Rutgers and Syracuse in 2007

BUFFALO, NY – The University at Buffalo football schedule features a visit from Baylor, UB’s first ever home contest against a Big 12 team, as well as road clashes with such storied programs as Penn State, Rutgers and Syracuse.

The 12-game schedule will also feature the usually demanding eight-game Mid-American Conference slate.

"It is exciting that we have an opportunity to play a school from a major conference at home in our home opener," head coach Turner Gill said. "I also think that it is important that we are playing our non-conference games against schools in the Northeast. It will give our players, many of whom are from the Northeast, an opportunity to play in front of family and friends on the road."

The Bulls will open the season with three straight road contests beginning with a game on Thursday, August 30 at Rutgers, which finished the 2006 season ranked 12th in the nation. Buffalo will travel to Temple for the Owls' first-ever Mid-American Conference game on September 8.

The Bulls will tangle with Penn State at historic Beaver Stadium on September 15. It will mark only the second meeting between the schools, the first coming back in 1900, which the Bulls won 10-0 in Buffalo. This will be the Bulls' first ever trip to “Happy Valley,” and the 107,282-seat Beaver Stadium will be the largest facility in which a UB football team has ever played.

"This will be a great opportunity for our players and coaches to go up against Joe Paterno - one of the greatest coaches of all time," Gill said.

Buffalo's home-opener will be on September 22 when the Bulls battle Baylor of the Big 12 at UB Stadium. The Bulls have only played one school from the Big 12 in their football history – Iowa State in 1968 – a 28-10 loss.

The Bulls will play at Ball State on September 29, before hosting back-to-back MAC foes in Ohio (Oct. 6) and Toledo (Oct. 13). It will be the first ever trip to UB Stadium for the Toledo Rockets.

On October 20, the Bulls will play their second BIG EAST opponent of the season when they travel to Syracuse. It will mark the third meeting with the Orange in the past four years.

The final four games of the season will pit the Bulls against fellow MAC East Division foes as they host Akron (Oct. 27), play at Miami (OH) (Nov. 3), host Bowling Green (Nov. 17) and wrap up the regular season at Kent State on November 24.

I've said this before, but one guarenteed way to schedule a 1:1 or 2:1 series with these type of schools is to bring a big fan base to those road games. If we can put an extra 10-15k in their stands, any mid-major or low Big XII team will want to play us.

Out of all of the years I have been following the Mean Green, WAC and MWC, I amazed we don't get more battles with teams like UTEP and UNM. Both of those schools would bring fans and make great destinations for us to go to with some fans.

Everyone I bump into from Texas tells me that we got a good coach and they say it with a hint of uncertainty. This was in the past 2 months and one was a Texas fan and the other was Texas Tech grad who lived through all of our upsets. You are right they do not seem thrilled to jaunt into the unknown with us. Texas fan wasn't even thrilled about having TCU come to town this year - Big Longhorn donor.

GMG

---THey (Baylor) tried to schedule Grammer School but could not work a deal out so did the next best thing... Buffalo.... looks like an automatic win to me. Bet they don't want to visit Denton again anytime soon.

Forget the stadium its about the money. Buffalo get over $8,000,000 from Institutional Support and about $6,000,000 from student fees. If they have to give Baylor say $400,000 to make the trip so what. UNT can not pay schools to play here they need to get paid.

Not to reign on anyone's fantasy parade here but did anyone consider: Maybe its not that they're afraid to play UNT but maybe its that they dont care about UNT? Maybe its because they derive no benefit from playing a school in the SunBelt. Think about it: The only reason any of the Big 12 schools would have to play us is because we are a 'season warm-up' team. I honestly doubt that the Rice and Houston ADs are making the schedules think...'we dont want to play UNT because they'll beat us' but rather 'what would playing UNT do for us'...and the answer is probably nothing.

Not to reign on anyone's fantasy parade here but did anyone consider: Maybe its not that they're afraid to play UNT but maybe its that they dont care about UNT? Maybe its because they derive no benefit from playing a school in the SunBelt. Think about it: The only reason any of the Big 12 schools would have to play us is because we are a 'season warm-up' team. I honestly doubt that the Rice and Houston ADs are making the schedules think...'we dont want to play UNT because they'll beat us' but rather 'what would playing UNT do for us'...and the answer is probably nothing.

The counter-argument to this is why would they care about Buffalo? If both of us (UNT and Buffalo) are also-rans in the eyes of the Bears, then all that's left to ask is why did they choose to go play up there when they can drive right up I35 to play us? I imagine the savings on travel costs are immense. THAT's a big deal to any athletic department.

Oh, and the MAC is far superior to the Sun Belt and Buffalo on top of that. Come on, can't you come up with a better reason than this?

I'll add that it means a potential D1A win for Baylor. They must figure the odds are in their favor to beat Buffalo; just the opposite for UNT. And just a guess, but should Baylor become bowl eligible, including a win over Buffalo, the financial gain for a B12 team in a bowl game may outweigh the cost of a trip to NY. Just a guess. I could be wrong.

The counter-argument to this is why would they care about Buffalo? If both of us (UNT and Buffalo) are also-rans in the eyes of the Bears, then all that's left to ask is why did they choose to go play up there when they can drive right up I35 to play us? I imagine the savings on travel costs are immense. THAT's a big deal to any athletic department.

---They don't care about Buffalo... but likely look at it as a absolute win which is not the case should they come to Denton. They may think that neither of us will help them much if they win... but we are a greater risk to them to give them a loss. I suspect they also think that playing across the country near the media center of NY may give them a bit of a boost as well and make the Baylor name known a bit more in that area which again would not happen by playing a game in Denton. It may be an attempt to make themselves better known nationally without playing some big boys that might defeat them, such as Penn State or Boston College..

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

You're exactly right...but for the wrong reasons. "BCS" teams have Sun Belt schools littered all over their schedules so it's not that they won't 'play down to our level.' Additionally, as was stated already, MAC schools are not great leap up if any from Sun Belt schools. The difference is that if Baylor plays and beats Buffalo or NT the result is the same...a D1 win they can count towards their seaon record and bowl eligibility. If on the other hand they lose a game to Buffalo vs. NT the results are drastically different. A loss to Buffalo hurts in the short run because it will be talked about for about a week. A loss to NT hurts for a much longer time. Texas recruits see it and think differently about Baylor and NT. NT fans/alums who work in the next cubicle over from Baylor fans/alums notice it and talk smack. It's about prestige and being able to still sell the "We are Big XII and they can't compete with us" myth. Not true with Buffalo and the like. All of the same reasons above apply to UT, aTm, Tech, even Houston, Rice, SMU, TCU and UTEP.

Oh, and the MAC is far superior to the Sun Belt and Buffalo on top of that. Come on, can't you come up with a better reason than this?

Well I could certainly see that playing anywhere in the NE would get them some exposure to a different part of the US and possible different recruits. My statement had nothing to do with why would Baylor play Buffalo, but rather only the suggestions of why they would not play us...and its not because they're afraid we'll beat them.

My statement had nothing to do with why would Baylor play Buffalo, but rather only the suggestions of why they would not play us...and its not because they're afraid we'll beat them.

Now I totally agree with that statement.

I just don't see Baylor getting that much exposure in the NE. They are a Southern Baptist school that probably doesn't attract many from up north, and Buffalo is pretty far removed from the NYC media center.

I've never tried to make a football schedule, but I would imagine there are a lot of things that go into making one, like finding a week open for both teams, one team may have played two road games in a row and not want a third while the other team is looking for a home game, etc. I'm sure there's more than just Dodge calling Morris (or vice versa) and saying, "OK, let's play."

And let's face it, we're not privy to any conversations anyone may or may not have had about playing anyone.

As for Buffalo, it's a win for Baylor, which is a program on the rise. FF Rick and I could give Buffalo a run for their money.

The biggest thing for us schedule wise, is the fact that we need at least one Texas team on the schedule every year, because besides the Houston game way back when, Texas teams usually draw the best crowds. I've heard we have Rice at home in 2008, but thats pur speculation and I'll believe it when I see it.

When was the last time we played A&M... and why havent we played them in awhile? Navy is all well and good, and props for the Veterans Day game, but as a guy who was brought up Big 12 (all my family except me went to UT) I want to see us play some of those teams ( I guess OU is decent consolation).

Yeah, and Buffalo sucks. Thats almost like playing Florida International, which also sucks. If Baylor thinks their program is on the rise, then they should shut up and show it. Those people in Baylor athletics talk like theyre something big.... but I think theyve won maybe 10 Big 12 conference games since the Big 12's inception. I think the women's basketball team won more games in their championship year than Baylor football has since the Big 12. Plus, Waco blows.

I've never tried to make a football schedule, but I would imagine there are a lot of things that go into making one, like finding a week open for both teams, one team may have played two road games in a row and not want a third while the other team is looking for a home game, etc. I'm sure there's more than just Dodge calling Morris (or vice versa) and saying, "OK, let's play."

And let's face it, we're not privy to any conversations anyone may or may not have had about playing anyone.

As for Buffalo, it's a win for Baylor, which is a program on the rise. FF Rick and I could give Buffalo a run for their money.

When was the last time we played A&M...

Probably because they would only want to play us at Texas Stadium or at College station so..

1.) RV has been quoted as saying "no more games at texas stadium".

2.) More than likely we would get more bodybag money from other large schools to play at their stadium. Just speculation on that one.

You're exactly right...but for the wrong reasons. "BCS" teams have Sun Belt schools littered all over their schedules so it's not that they won't 'play down to our level.' Additionally, as was stated already, MAC schools are not great leap up if any from Sun Belt schools. The difference is that if Baylor plays and beats Buffalo or NT the result is the same...a D1 win they can count towards their seaon record and bowl eligibility. If on the other hand they lose a game to Buffalo vs. NT the results are drastically different. A loss to Buffalo hurts in the short run because it will be talked about for about a week. A loss to NT hurts for a much longer time. Texas recruits see it and think differently about Baylor and NT. NT fans/alums who work in the next cubicle over from Baylor fans/alums notice it and talk smack. It's about prestige and being able to still sell the "We are Big XII and they can't compete with us" myth. Not true with Buffalo and the like. All of the same reasons above apply to UT, aTm, Tech, even Houston, Rice, SMU, TCU and UTEP.

This reply is so on the money, its not even funny..for UNT that is.