Memphis

LAZER

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny I don't have either Ohio State OR Memphis making it to the Final Four and I am the smartest person alive....

I hear the Strip Clubs in New Orleans have a great Roast Beef Platter...

--- I love "Roast Beef"... I will need to check that out if I get to make the trip.... LOL

I'll say it then. MEMPHIS BARBECUE SUCKS!!!!!. Anyone who puts cole slaw on a brisket sandwhich needs to be flogged. There is only ONE barbecue and that is TEXAS barbecue.

They do the same thing here in Arkansas and it's pulled pork wherever you go. I miss places like the Railhead Smokehouse.

When it is done right, all the before mentioned barbeque can be pretty damn good. But to say that barbeque is only pork@#$#!!!, is just plain sacreligious. I personally can love a good rack of pork ribs one day, and a good brisket sandwich the next. The sauce is the key. Add some sausage to the mix and that is when I start taking the Cholestoff Pills. :D

When it is done right, all the before mentioned barbeque can be pretty damn good. But to say that barbeque is only pork@#$#!!!, is just plain sacreligious. I personally can love a good rack of pork ribs one day, and a good brisket sandwich the next. The sauce is the key. Add some sausage to the mix and that is when I start taking the Cholestoff Pills. :D

I can agree with your post. I have lived in TX and the deep south. I like both styles of BBQ. But the problem with TX BBQ is that you have to add sauce. Good BBQ doesnt have it "added". And adding cole slaw is just one way to eat a sandwich. It is real polupar in Memphis which is why most of us from the Deep South call it memphis style. And it is definately not vinegar based cole slaw. For those of you who will make the trip to NO check out a sandwhich shop called mothers. Not BBQ but goooood stuff.

If it turns into a free throw contest we are toast.

Memphis is worse than us at Free Throws! In fact, they are the worst in the tourney I believe.

Listening to the Ticket today, Norm said Memphis is bad at Free Throws and Three's. They are also not experienced with close games as they have usually blown peeps out. So, he said it could get interesting if we could keep it close down the stretch. Of course that is just stating the obvious.

Memphis is worse than us at Free Throws! In fact, they are the worst in the tourney I believe.

Listening to the Ticket today, Norm said Memphis is bad at Free Throws and Three's. They are also not experienced with close games as they have usually blown peeps out. So, he said it could get interesting if we could keep it close down the stretch. Of course that is just stating the obvious.

I think we need to try to make this an ugly game. Don't let them wear us out with their transition game. We need to take care of the ball, rebound well, and limit Memphis' number of possessions. Hopefully Watson and KD will both come out hot and stay that way the entire game. I really worry about not being able to keep up with Memphis if we try to run with them. They have been steamrolling teams in the "mid majors" that fail to take them out of their up and down the floor tempo.

We ARE a piss-poor FT shooting team. However, our 3-pt. percentage is right around 35% for the season, and that includes a couple of sub-20% games.

I think we need to try to make this an ugly game. Don't let them wear us out with their transition game. We need to take care of the ball, rebound well, and limit Memphis' number of possessions. Hopefully Watson and KD will both come out hot and stay that way the entire game. I really worry about not being able to keep up with Memphis if we try to run with them. They have been steamrolling teams in the "mid majors" that fail to take them out of their up and down the floor tempo.

Actually, SMU tried a slow down game in our first meeting and we steamrolled them too. To be successful against Memphis, you HAVE to throw the offense out of sync. It works in slo-mo too...but not if people are bumping a lot and getting away with it.

I can agree with your post. I have lived in TX and the deep south. I like both styles of BBQ. But the problem with TX BBQ is that you have to add sauce. Good BBQ doesnt have it "added". And adding cole slaw is just one way to eat a sandwich. It is real polupar in Memphis which is why most of us from the Deep South call it memphis style. And it is definately not vinegar based cole slaw. For those of you who will make the trip to NO check out a sandwhich shop called mothers. Not BBQ but goooood stuff.

You know what's really good on a bun with just a touch of sauce, and side of BBQ beans?

Memphis Tiger.

Actually, SMU tried a slow down game in our first meeting and we steamrolled them too. To be successful against Memphis, you HAVE to throw the offense out of sync. It works in slo-mo too...but not if people are bumping a lot and getting away with it.

I love any team that steamrolls SMUt! :)

When the first Spanish explorers arrived in the new world they found the indigenous peoples preserving meats in the sun. This is an age old and almost completely universal method. The chief problem with doing this is that the meats spoil and become infested with bugs. To drive the bugs away the natives would built small smoky fires and place the meat on racks over the fires. The smoke would keep the insects at bay and help in the preserving of the meat.

Tradition tells us that this is the origin of Barbecue, both in process and in name. The natives of the West Indies had a word for this process, "barbacoa". It is generally believed that this is the origin of our modern word Barbecue, though there is some debate on the matter.

The process began to evolve with the migration of Europeans and Africans to the region of the Southern United States. European pigs and cattle were transplanted to the new world and became the primary meat source for the colonies, pork being the meat of choice in the South due to the ability of pigs to thrive with little care. The racks used to dry the meat were replaced with pits and smoke houses.

Now pit cooking is by no means new at this point in history or specific to any particular region of the world. If we define Barbecue as a process of cooking meat (or specifically pork) in pits then the inventors of this process are probably the Polynesians who have been masters of slow, pit cooked pork for thousands of years. So we will have to leave the definition for another time.

The process of slow cooking meat in early colonial times was often reserved for poor cuts of meat left for slaves and low income peoples. Higher quality meats had no need for a process of cooking that would reduce the toughness of the meat. Throughout the south Barbecue has long been an inexpensive food source, though labor intensive.

Can't we all get along? ;)

Edited by CMJ

I just got through reading all five pages of why NT is going to beat Memphis (mixed in with some BBQ talk, now I'm really hungry) and there are a few things that I would like to throw out there in response:

1) A couple of you mentioned the fact that we play in a horrible league and that's what has helped us in "padding" our resume. Lest I remind you, NT's league is WAY worse that CUSA. Sorry, but it's true. So, with that logic, if Memphis' record (30-3) is "padded" according to NT fans from a bad conference schedule...then where does that leave NT with its 23-10 record in an even worse conference. Memphis is the only team in the nation to not lose to a non NCAA Tournament team in the last two years. Also, Memphis has not lost to a team out of the top 52 in the RPI in the last two years:

2006-07

L, #52 vs. Georgia Tech

L, #12 @ Tennessee

L, #14 @ Arizona

2005-06

L, vs. #1 Duke

L, #8 Texas

L, @ #32 UAB

L, vs. #10 UCLA

I doubt that NT's resume is quite as impressive. You guys are definitely improving the quality of your bball program, so don't take that last sentence as a low-blow.

2) Last year many people were predicting Memphis to be the first #1 seed to lose to a #16 seed. They said that Oral Roberts' guard play and big man in Green would give us problems. That didn't happen. We dominated ORU to a tune of 94-78. People were saying that Bucknell had enough size, could slow down the pace and shoot threes well enough to beat us, so they had us getting beat in the second round by a #9 seed. That didn't happen. Memphis won 72-56. Lastly, people (even Bradley's coach) said that Bradley would run with us and could take it inside with their 7-footer. Everyone predicted Memphis going down in the Sweet 16 to Bradley. And, as the story goes, Bradley tried to run with us and we absolutely ran them out of the gym. Memphis, 80-64.

3) Our conference did not hurt us last year. It WILL NOT hurt us this year.

4) The over-confidence of our FAN BASE is not, and should not be, a reflection of the over-confidence of our team. Fans talk. Teams prepare and play. So, don't get too caught up in some of the smack and banter going on over at MT.org. Even though our fans may already be "looking to the second round", I doubt that Coach Cal and the Tigers are doing the same.

With all that said, I'm excited to see a great game. I'm excited that you guys are athletic and would like the possibility of running and gunning with us. That's when we really excel. If anything, it should definitely be an entertaining game. I can't wait to see y'alls inside game that has led you to an average of 40+ boards per game. Pretty impressive.

bham

I just got through reading all five pages of why NT is going to beat Memphis (mixed in with some BBQ talk, now I'm really hungry) and there are a few things that I would like to throw out there in response:

1) A couple of you mentioned the fact that we play in a horrible league and that's what has helped us in "padding" our resume. Lest I remind you, NT's league is WAY worse that CUSA. Sorry, but it's true. So, with that logic, if Memphis' record (30-3) is "padded" according to NT fans from a bad conference schedule...then where does that leave NT with its 23-10 record in an even worse conference. Memphis is the only team in the nation to not lose to a non NCAA Tournament team in the last two years. Also, Memphis has not lost to a team out of the top 52 in the RPI in the last two years:

2006-07

L, #52 vs. Georgia Tech

L, #12 @ Tennessee

L, #14 @ Arizona

2005-06

L, vs. #1 Duke

L, #8 Texas

L, @ #32 UAB

L, vs. #10 UCLA

I doubt that NT's resume is quite as impressive. You guys are definitely improving the quality of your bball program, so don't take that last sentence as a low-blow.

2) Last year many people were predicting Memphis to be the first #1 seed to lose to a #16 seed. They said that Oral Roberts' guard play and big man in Green would give us problems. That didn't happen. We dominated ORU to a tune of 94-78. People were saying that Bucknell had enough size, could slow down the pace and shoot threes well enough to beat us, so they had us getting beat in the second round by a #9 seed. That didn't happen. Memphis won 72-56. Lastly, people (even Bradley's coach) said that Bradley would run with us and could take it inside with their 7-footer. Everyone predicted Memphis going down in the Sweet 16 to Bradley. And, as the story goes, Bradley tried to run with us and we absolutely ran them out of the gym. Memphis, 80-64.

4) The over-confidence of our FAN BASE is not, and should not be, a reflection of the over-confidence of our team. Fans talk. Teams prepare and play. So, don't get too caught up in some of the smack and banter going on over at MT.org. Even though our fans may already be "looking to the second round", I doubt that Coach Cal and the Tigers are doing the same.

With all that said, I'm excited to see a great game. I'm excited that you guys are athletic and would like the possibility of running and gunning with us. That's when we really excel. If anything, it should definitely be an entertaining game. I can't wait to see y'alls inside game that has led you to an average of 40+ boards per game. Pretty impressive.

bham

You shut up with your facts!

It only took us three tries to beat Arkansas State! Take THAT to your tiger cage and think it over!

1) A couple of you mentioned the fact that we play in a horrible league and that's what has helped us in "padding" our resume. Lest I remind you, NT's league is WAY worse that CUSA. Sorry, but it's true.

A North Texas win would be a monumental accomplishment, but the Sun Belt Conference had a winning record against CUSA this year. North Texas beat Tulsa and Rice. Are they the top of CUSA? Nope. The top of CUSA is stronger than the Sun Belt, but beyond that there isn't much difference this year.

The remainder of you post is pretty dead-on. Come to Texas and we will feed you BBQ Beef, but bring some pork with you.

2006-07

L, #52 vs. Georgia Tech

L, #12 @ Tennessee

L, #14 @ Arizona

2005-06

L, vs. #1 Duke

L, #8 Texas

L, @ #32 UAB

L, vs. #10 UCLA

bham

Man, at least give us a couple days to enjoy fantasizing about an impending win!