Presidnet Greets Dodge

MeanGreen61

President greets Dodge

By TROY PHILLIPS

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DENTON - How's this for Todd Dodge's first bit of history made at North Texas: First football coach to meet a sitting head of state.

On Friday, Dodge, his wife, Elizabeth, son Riley and daughter Molly were guests of President George W. Bush in the Oval Office on roughly 48 hours notice.

Scheduled to speak in the Washington area, Dodge and his family had just hoped to tour the White House, but instead they spent 20 minutes with the president, who in December watched on television as Dodge coached Carroll to a fourth state title in five years.

Connections helped set up the meeting.

Lindsay Lineweaver, an aide to first lady Laura Bush, is the sister of Carroll defensive line coach Aaron Lineweaver. Their father, Steve Lineweaver, is the Trinity High School coach.

"The trip had been planned for quite some time," Dodge said. "I later decided to take my whole family with me for an educational trip. From that perspective, it was a slam dunk."

Dodge said a tour of the White House turned into a meet-and-greet with the president in the Oval Office. The whole time, Dodge figured something would come up in the president's schedule to scuttle the appointment.

"I was just happy we had the chance to do it," Dodge said. "I figured something would come up, and it wouldn't happen. I was just glad we were there at all."

They walked in, Dodge said, and the first thing President Bush said was, "Hey, Riley, I've never seen anyone throw up and then throw a touchdown pass," referring to cameras catching Riley Dodge getting sick during the Class 5A state title game against Austin Westlake.

During the visit, Bush showed them the famous trapdoor in his desk, the one John F. Kennedy Jr. was photographed playing inside while his father worked.

The Dodges posed for pictures with the president, took home several autographs and still can't quite believe where they were.

They even went outside and petted the president's dog.

"I had to go to Baltimore after that, and my family had planned to look around [Washington] some more," Todd Dodge said. "When they left there, they said, 'We won't see anything better than this.'"

PRESIDENT GREETS DODGE

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/colleges/16695415.htm

Easy to overlook in the article, but wonder who Dodge was addressing in the Washington area and the topic ? No one can deny that we've got a coach who DOES get around and one that DOES know people. He's certainly got a HUGE, well populated bunker ! :rolleyes:

Edited by MeanGreen61

Easy to overlook in the article, but wonder who Dodge was addressing in the Washington area and the topic ? No one can deny that we've got a coach who DOES get around and one that DOES know people. He's certainly got a HUGE, well populated bunker ! :rolleyes:

Nike "Coach of the Year" clinic:

Presentation by the 2004 and 2005 HS National Champion Head Coach Todd Dodge, South Lake Carroll HS, TX

http://www.nikecoyfootball.com/c-90-Clinic-Information.aspx

Edited by NT80

During a late evening dinner finally got around to reading my Star Telegram and was (like I'm sure many of you) very shocked and surprised to see this article on TD and family meeting with President Bush in the White House.

An understatement but Todd Dodge is having quite a year; hope we are all as happy this next December (or January?) :rolleyes: but no matter where we stand upon this next football season's end I believe most will be pleased with the direction of this football program.

Had this happened in the past you you think DD would have referred to the President as an F-er also?

That article was cool.

rofl no.

DD would have taken the opportunity to befriend him, then tell him that we need to approach the war on terrorism with more caution. Go in to keep it close then hope we come out unscathed.

We may be a bunch of liberals...but by God, even we will take a free presidential library.

I read that SMU will have to pay a huge amount of money to get the library. Regardless, that was an awesome article. Maybe RV can work some magic with the president. Who knows, Bush Field might sound pretty nice :)

I read that SMU will have to pay a huge amount of money to get the library. Regardless, that was an awesome article. Maybe RV can work some magic with the president. Who knows, Bush Field might sound pretty nice :)

It all comes back to a new stadium will y'all.

How about the first ever library/football stadium! It could be the world's largest library!

DESCRIPTION : Quarterback Techniques

Saturday, February 10, 2007

4:05PM - 5:15PM

Lincoln Forum

Todd Dodge

Former Head Coach at South Lakes Carroll HS Southlake, TX

Head Football Coach North Texas

North Texas hired Todd Dodge, who led one of the most successful high school programs in Texas, to be its head coach on Tuesday, a person with knowledge of the agreement said. Dodge will make the rare jump from high school to Division I-A after leading Southlake Carroll High School to three state championships. The person familiar with the hiring asked not to be identified because the move hadn't been announced. North Texas planned a news conference at its campus in Denton later Tuesday. A former Texas quarterback, Dodge has led Carroll to a 77-1 record in five seasons in the state's highest classification. The team has won 46 consecutive games, and its regular-season winning streak is 50. The Dragons won back-to-back "mythical" national championships, based on national polls, and two years ago they played on ESPN2 in the first Texas high school game televised nationally. Dodge was the offensive coordinator at UNT in 1992-93 before returning to high schools to start his head coaching career. Last year, he interviewed with Bill Parcells for an opening on the Dallas Cowboys staff, and he turned down an invitation to interview for the opening at Rice.

Edited by stebo

How about the first ever library/football stadium! It could be the world's largest library!

DESCRIPTION : Quarterback Techniques

Saturday, February 10, 2007

4:05PM - 5:15PM

Lincoln Forum

Todd Dodge

Former Head Coach at South Lakes Carroll HS Southlake, TX

Head Football Coach North Texas

North Texas hired Todd Dodge, who led one of the most successful high school programs in Texas, to be its head coach on Tuesday, a person with knowledge of the agreement said. Dodge will make the rare jump from high school to Division I-A after leading Southlake Carroll High School to three state championships. The person familiar with the hiring asked not to be identified because the move hadn't been announced. North Texas planned a news conference at its campus in Denton later Tuesday. A former Texas quarterback, Dodge has led Carroll to a 77-1 record in five seasons in the state's highest classification. The team has won 46 consecutive games, and its regular-season winning streak is 50. The Dragons won back-to-back "mythical" national championships, based on national polls, and two years ago they played on ESPN2 in the first Texas high school game televised nationally. Dodge was the offensive coordinator at UNT in 1992-93 before returning to high schools to start his head coaching career. Last year, he interviewed with Bill Parcells for an opening on the Dallas Cowboys staff, and he turned down an invitation to interview for the opening at Rice.

Damn Republicans can't even get "Todge's" record correct. It was 79-1.