Hearing A Rumor

Harry

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Navy versus UNT game (even) at Fouts Field is a tremendous win-win for both schools.

Not to get too carried away with all this, but wouldn't it be a great jesture from our alma mater if the UNT College of Music invited Navy's infamous choir in for a concert at the Murchison Performing Arts Center the night before Game Day? Man, if that happened and when they would start singing that "...peril at sea" hymn (like in the movie Crimson Tide); nevertheless, would there be a dry eye in the house?

{quote]

infamous? :blink:

in·fa·mous /ˈɪnfəməs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[in-fuh-muhs] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective 1. having an extremely bad reputation: an infamous city.

2. deserving of or causing an evil reputation; shamefully malign; detestable: an infamous deed.

3. Law. a. deprived of certain rights as a citizen, as a consequence of conviction of certain offenses.

b. of or pertaining to offenses involving such deprivation.

Hmmm? To quote an ex Cowboy: "I don't know what that means!" :rolleyes:

I think somehow my late sainted mother's ghost has somehow influenced Silver Eagle to correct me on this one! :):rolleyes::blink:

Seriously, I do know having been a member in a touring a cappella choir a very long time ago that this would be a chorale concert that I would love to attend (if it could possibly be scheduled at the MPAC).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Should be a good one ! Looks like we get them after N.D.

Is that good because they will be beat up by the Irish or bad because they will be pissed about being beat up by the Irish?

Note on their schedule: They have 3 games NOT on TV. Temple, Pitt, and NT. <_<

Maybe a certain sports network that "claims" to be the Every Sports Program Network can think about considering maybe contemplating the possibility of discussing in meetings the idea of pondering the plausibility of putting that game on prime time. <_<<_<

Guest GrayEagleOne

Not that I think honoring Roger Staubach is a bad idea, but I think it would be better if we honored the soldiers instead. Maybe do a special discount for the game - a few bucks off to all current or retired servicemen. Maybe talk the guys out at Carswell (sorry, the JNRB) to do a fly-over. I seriously would be surprised if ESPN or Fox Southwest wouldn't be interested in televising that game.

We would honor soldiers when we play Army. While I agree that all of the servicemen deserve hororing on Veterans Day, we are playing Navy. Actually, Navy is both sailors and marines. They are both a part of the Department of the Navy.

I'm not sure how many Navy or Marine Corps personnel that we can get for this game. The Reserve Base in Fort Worth may have a couple of thousand permanent personnel but the majority of active duty Navy in Texas is in the Corpus Christi area and that's a pretty long trek. Even with a thousand or less swabbies, I still think that this game will be a sellout.

This is a project for GMG.com. Let's try and sponsor 1000 or 2000 from the Reserve Base in Fort Worth to come to the game. Put them in the endzone. We would need to handle it, because the kids day a couple of years ago was such a disaster.

We would honor soldiers when we play Army. While I agree that all of the servicemen deserve hororing on Veterans Day, we are playing Navy. Actually, Navy is both sailors and marines. They are both a part of the Department of the Navy.

I'm not sure how many Navy or Marine Corps personnel that we can get for this game. The Reserve Base in Fort Worth may have a couple of thousand permanent personnel but the majority of active duty Navy in Texas is in the Corpus Christi area and that's a pretty long trek. Even with a thousand or less swabbies, I still think that this game will be a sellout.

From posts on the Middie board.

"Navy travels pretty well. We have a lot of alumni in & around DFW, too. It'll be a great crowd."

"Like someone else said, you don't have to deal with the Tech Trash or pretentious SMU snobs." :rolleyes:

MIddie board schedule thread.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=240#S=240&a...98806&FIX=1

Edited by MeanGreen61

This is a project for GMG.com. Let's try and sponsor 1000 or 2000 from the Reserve Base in Fort Worth to come to the game. Put them in the endzone. We would need to handle it, because the kids day a couple of years ago was such a disaster.

excellent idea.

that should be a thread to itself, so we can get that organized.

Anything done that honors our Navy heroes....is a great move IMHO.

As to my idea about us honoring Roger Staubach....maybe we could also include Mean Joe Greene at the game, and honor two football greats (maybe they could be on the field for the coin flip, with their respective teams). After all, Joe and Roger played against each other in two different classic Super Bowl Games.

Anyway, just a thought.

Hey, wait a sec. How they gonna catch a boat to Fouts? I may be a fledglin' but I'm always thinkin.

You are assuming that just because someone wears or has worn the uniform, they are supporters of the academy teams. I can assure you that after spending 20 years in the Air Force, my interest in Air Force Academy sports is zip. North Texas is my team!! Especially after mandatory deductions from each officers' pay to support AFA athletic programs in the old days!

Other than perhaps getting some local publicity and maybe some regional and national publicity I dont see the purpose in honoring Roger Staubach. Sure he means a great deal to the Dallas Cowboys and DFW area but he has no affiliation with NT. If you have him as a special invite then sure I am all for it but to honor him I think is kinda weird and really not necessary. Remember that Roger went to Navy, not NT. If we honor the Navy or all the armed forces in general then yeah I am all for that but we should honor Roger Staubach also? If anything we should probably honor Joe Greene and some of the other NT greats if thats the kind of route we want to go.

Other than perhaps getting some local publicity and maybe some regional and national publicity I dont see the purpose in honoring Roger Staubach. Sure he means a great deal to the Dallas Cowboys and DFW area but he has no affiliation with NT. If you have him as a special invite then sure I am all for it but to honor him I think is kinda weird and really not necessary. Remember that Roger went to Navy, not NT. If we honor the Navy or all the armed forces in general then yeah I am all for that but we should honor Roger Staubach also? If anything we should probably honor Joe Greene and some of the other NT greats if thats the kind of route we want to go.

Maybe honor is too strong of a word. I realize that he didn't go to UNT. But what makes this game (Navy) so special to me, is that it's not just about UNT. Heck, these kids that will playing for Navy that day, may one day be putting their lives on the line, to defend us all. So, that's why flyovers, Navy choirs, etc. to me are all good ideas----heck, I'm an American first, North Texas fan second.

That being said...I'll be pulling like heck for us to win the game.

And as to Mr. Staubach....he and Dodge have a connection. Shortly after TD was hired, a story circulated on the boards, about a speaking engagement where both Todd and Roger were speaking to some group of executives. Long story short, the sort of unknown (to the execs) Dodge, wowed the crowd so much, that he ended up getting a standing O. Roger's first line during his speech was something like, "How do you follow a guy who's 59-1?" (or whatever Todd's record was at SLC at the time).

So, Todd and Roger know each other. Roger is probably a multi-millionaire.....who knows if you do recognize, honor him...have him in the President's Box.....whatever).....he might decide to make UNT his "metroplex" team.

Just my thoughts.....

Staubach should not be honored by UNT.. he has never had an affiliation with this university, i'm not sure he even knows this university exsists, and besides the idea is just strange.. that would be like us playing Pitt and them honoring Mean Joe Green, it just doesn't make any sense? With the exception of Jackie Robinson, i've never seen another team honor another team's former player.. Now if we decided to do an extended halftime or pregame ceremony honoring people in our armed forces (past and present), I think that would be a very nice touch and I believe the people who support the Navy would really appreciate it too

Staubach should not be honored by UNT.. he has never had an affiliation with this university, i'm not sure he even knows this university exsists, and besides the idea is just strange.. that would be like us playing Pitt and them honoring Mean Joe Green, it just doesn't make any sense? With the exception of Jackie Robinson, i've never seen another team honor another team's former player.. Now if we decided to do an extended halftime or pregame ceremony honoring people in our armed forces (past and present), I think that would be a very nice touch and I believe the people who support the Navy would really appreciate it too

I was at a Mavericks game a couple of years ago and it was David Robinson's final regular season game in Dallas. He was honored at halftime with a video presentation, and then got a standing ovation. I thought it was a great tribute to someone who has done great things for the game.

I was at a Mavericks game a couple of years ago and it was David Robinson's final regular season game in Dallas. He was honored at halftime with a video presentation, and then got a standing ovation. I thought it was a great tribute to someone who has done great things for the game.

ya I guess I forgot about players who are retiring, they did the same thing for Cal Ripken, Mark McGwire, and other notable sports figures when they were retiring, but Staubach has been out of the league for almost 30 years now, and has had nothing to do with UNT what so ever besides talking to coach dodge once a couple of years ago.. why didn't we do a tribute to Craig James last season when we played SMU?

Edited by Keith7