How About The Green Brigade?

DeepGreen

As the dad of two Green Brigade members, one current and one former, I can tell you that the excitement level's going to be very high in light of the greater success on the field and the bigger crowds I expect. It's always more fun to perform in front of lots of people.

People don't always understand how hard the band kids and the directors work. All the music is arranged specifically for the GB, and all the marching shows are custom, too. In high school, band kids work all season to develop a single marching show for competition. The Green Brigade learns and masters about three shows each season.

The whole band puts in 14-hour days for the entire week before fall semester begins. This includes indoor rehearsals, sectionals, and marching practice. It's frequently 100-plus degrees out there, but there they are. The leadership team is there even before that.

Then during the semester, they've got rehearsals Monday, Wednesday, and Friday evenings, plus game days, of course. On at least one or two away days, they spend all Saturday traveling to a regional high school marching contest to perform as the exhibition band -- a tremendous UNT recruiting device. Last year, they went to perform at the state marching championship in San Antonio -- all the way there and back by bus in one day.

And that homecoming parade can seem mighty long when they're marching and playing the whole way.

Major props to RV for recognizing this. During pre-semester practice, he comes by and thanks the band and makes sure they know they're part of the team. He's also had DD and football players come with him and hand out drinks during a break; my guess is that TD will also put in an appearance this year. And I've often seen RV stand at the entrance to Fouts and applaud them as they enter for a game.

This is not to confuse playing in the band with getting smashed into by a 300-pound lineman, of course. But the band kids really do put their hearts into it. And the musicianship of this group swamps that of the vast majority of other marching bands across the country, including the one with the cowboy hats and fringed jackets. This year, I encourage everybody to stay during halftime and carefully watch the marching routine and carefully listen to the playing. It really is a phenomenon.

For this, they get no pay; in fact, since they have to register for one semester hour of course work to be in the band, they pay for the privilege.

Want some Green Brigade football music to hold you over till 2-a-days? Go to the Union Book Store (the smaller one) and purchase 1 of 2 (or both) Green Brigade's CD's. I've played the fight song full volume driving down Fort Worth's West Freeway with passer-byers probably wondering what the hell is wrong with that one? Could he possibly be lip-syncing to........................Mick Jagger & the Rolling Stones?!?!?!?

GMG!

In Memory of Dr. Robert A. Winslow who could be a real bear in all those Band Day committee meetings back in the day, but............God rest his soul anyway.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Want some Green Brigade football music to hold you over till 2-a-days? Go to the Union Book Store (the smaller one) and purchase 1 of 2 (or both) Green Brigade's CD's. I've played the fight song full volume driving down Fort Worth's West Freeway with passer-byers probably wondering what the hell is wrong with that one? Could he possibly be lip-syncing to........................Mick Jagger & the Rolling Stones?!?!?!?

GMG!

In Memory of Dr. Robert A. Winslow who could be a real bear in all those Band Day committee meetings back in the day, but............God rest his soul anyway.

Amen to that! Those CDs are on my iPod. If I'm up, there's nothing like the fight song or "Fly Like an Eagle" to make me want to throw a tortilla. And "Glory to the Green" can make me absolutely weepy.

And if I'm feeling down, both arrangements of "You'll Never Walk Alone," the instrumental and the vocal, well, they just turn me into a tower of resolution.

Yessir, that is potent stuff indeed.

Edited by Green to the Bone

One song that I would really like for the Green Brigade to work into their game day routine would be "Texas Our Texas". I look at it not to mimic the TU band, but to pay tribute to our great State of Texas. This could be done when the band marches onto the field before the Star Spangled Banner. I think it would realy add to gameday. And what better band to play it than the Green Brigade.

Amen to that! Those CDs are on my iPod. If I'm up, there's nothing like the fight song or "Fly Like an Eagle" to make me want to throw a tortilla. And "Glory to the Green" can make me absolutely weepy.

And if I'm feeling down, both arrangements of "You'll Never Walk Alone," the instrumental and the vocal, well, they just turn me into a tower of resolution.

Yessir, that is potent stuff indeed.

Their on my ipod as well and both kiddos know the original version of Fly Like An Eagle, and the best version of it too as well as the words to the fight song and Glory to the Green.

It's good stuff and great for getting ready for game day. The Green Brigade has never lost a halftime and we are so very proud of them. I lucked out and got to see the smaller version of them, the basketball version, completely put the U. of North Carolina baskteball band to complete shame in the Hunstman Center in Salt Lake City Utah in our first round of the Big Dance. Very few in attendance had seen or heard a school basketball band play rock and jazz before I suppose as they stole the show. I probably realized right there and then how special our music department was.

It's my hope some day that the Green Brigade takes on a second nickname that I feel would much more define not only their true talents, but their dominance in their performances over the years. The Mean Green Brigade!

Rick

I'm not in the Green Brigade anymore, but as a former Green Brigader, I think the Todd Dodge is a good coach and hire. I am aware that a great coach on the high school level does not mean that a coach will do as great on the collegiate level. But I think that Todd Dodge has the ability to lead North Texas in the right direction and he has the potential to recruit some highly talented players. I look forward to great success and to having TD at the helm of the Mean Green!!

I'm not in the Green Brigade anymore, but as a former Green Brigader, I think the Todd Dodge is a good coach and hire. I am aware that a great coach on the high school level does not mean that a coach will do as great on the collegiate level. But I think that Todd Dodge has the ability to lead North Texas in the right direction and he has the potential to recruit some highly talented players. I look forward to great success and to having TD at the helm of the Mean Green!!

1'st time--long time, GreenBrigadeDebbie..............welcome back from your long sabbatical away from posting on GMG.com. You may be one of a handful that I haven't truly pissed off on this forum because of what (I think) you know to be my support for much of what the UNT College of Music does and stands for (as many others on this board). Still wasn't too wild about their apparent organized voting coalition a few years ago on that most important athletic-oriented referendum, though. :( Oh well...............

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

1'st time--long time, GreenBrigadeDebbie..............welcome back from your long sabbatical away from posting on GMG.com. You may be one of a handful that I haven't truly pissed off on this forum because of what (I think) you know to be my support for much of what the UNT College of Music does and stands for (as many others on this board). Still wasn't too wild about their apparent organized voting coalition a few years ago on that most important athletic-oriented referendum, though. :( Oh well...............

GMG!

..............."Still wasn't too wild about their apparent organized voting coalition a few years ago on that most important athletic-oriented referendum, though"

So, in one sentence you are acknowleding that Debbie may not be pissed at you, and then you set about trying rectify that situation by including her in an alleged conspiricy? :huh:

GMG!

Unnecessary post of the week. Sorry Plumm, I don't recall any apparent "organized voting coalition" amongst College of Music students. We hardly knew of what the general opinion was and, in fact, I knew many that were in support of the "athletic-oriented referendum".

The voting took place and if there was any level of a voting coalition, is was done on the qt at higher levels.

Sometimes I tire of the implications that there is a College of Music vs. Athletics thing going on here, but I understand why it lingers. I speculate that athletics biggest adversary in DFW is apathy. What if a lot of students voted "no" just because they didn't care, and not because they were actually opposed? If Dodge gets a couple of great seasons under his/our belts, I bet it'd be easy as pie to get the vote to go through upon a second chance.

Edited by greenminer

Does anyone have an mp3 of the fight song they'd be willing to share? I could use the pick me up from time to time.

Listening to the fight song is truly better than lots of things people use as pick-me-ups, and completely legal.

Sending the mp3, however, isn't legal. It's copyrighted. However, you can get the CD legit at the campus bookstore, the non-academic branch across the hall.

Here's the contact info. Call and see if you can mail-order it.

Your U.N.T. Bookstore Store Manager is Rodney Davison

Phone:

(940) 565-2592

Fax:

(940) 565-4042

Email:

unt@bkstr.com

Address:

University Union

1155 Union Circle

PO Box 311130

Denton, TX 76203-1130

US

Edited by Green to the Bone

Earlier I tried to discourage sharing unlicensed mp3s that yield no income to the musician. I did my duty, but I acknowledge that most people feel that copyright is an outdated concept.

But the band does make a little money off the CDs, so consider buying them.

So is the website that has links to Sunbelt fight songs in violation of copyright law?

Earlier I tried to discourage sharing unlicensed mp3s that yield no income to the musician. I did my duty, but I acknowledge that most people feel that copyright is an outdated concept.

But the band does make a little money off the CDs, so consider buying them.

No problem, and youre right, I wasnt thinking even about licensing when I asked. I'll check out the cd at the bookstore

I am a proud first-year Green Brigade mom. Here's a link to the fight song... http://fightmusic.com/sunbelt.html

UNT Eagles!!!

Football's nice, but I came for the band!

I went to the B-12 link on the web-site. It's amazing how many songs are part of the various school's traditions. I noticed that many of them have thier own signature fanfare.

North Texas used to have their own signature fanfare when Maurice McAdow was the director. I don't know if it was something that he (or one of his graduate students) wrote, but I noticed that it went away after Dr. Winslow took over the band. Also, the original fight song got "dumbed down" when Dr. Winslow took over as well.

I'd like to see them dig out the music for the old fanfare and use it again.

I wasn't always a fan of the Green Brigade becuase I didn't think they really were the "showcase of spirit and pride." That's changed and I think the GB is a vital part of the gameday experience and the GB members, for the most part, are loyal Mean Green fans.

Having said that, I'd like to make a couple of suggestions.

First, I too would like to hear "Texas Our Texas" played sometime around the time the band plays the National Anthem. We are a State school and we should recognize our affillation to the State.

Secondly, I'd rather see "North Texas" or Mean Green" on the drum heads rather than "Yamaha." Unless and/or until Yamaha contributes instruments to the band, I think we should promote the University instead of giving high visibility to a vendor.

I'd also like to see Green sleeves on trombone slides and some kind of green cover on sousaphone bells with "NT" or "Mean Green" proudly displayed.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

So is the website that has links to Sunbelt fight songs in violation of copyright law?

There's no apparent copyright notice anywhere on the site, and I think I figured out why.

I listened to several of the fight songs on the site. They all sound like they were recorded at a football game by somebody unofficial, so the quality is not so good. It's along the lines of 60s bootleg albums, many of which didn't have anything going for them except for the exciting outlaw feeling and hearing conversations from people in nearby seats.

The Green Brigade CDs are studio quality, done in the Murchison (the " 'Dillo Dome"). Much better quality and infinitely more pleasing to the ear.

Secondly, I'd rather see "North Texas" or Mean Green" on the drum heads rather than "Yamaha." Unless and/or until Yamaha contributes instruments to the band, I think we should promote the University instead of giving high visibility to a vendor.

Good suggestions. I like the idea about the drum heads. I don't think there's anything wrong about putting our call or name on the drum heads, but do it WITH the Yamaha logo. They might have a problem with us taking their name off.

In many major Colleges of Music, particularly a highly regarded and respected one such as ours in Denton, the school instruments are contractual. All UNT grands are Steinway & Sons, and I would suspect that this is no different with Yamaha and the drumline equipment. Sponsorships and contracts like these usually stipulate that the brand name be visible in public.