How About The Green Brigade?

DeepGreen

In many major Colleges of Music, particularly a highly regarded and respected one such as ours in Denton, the school instruments are contractual. All UNT grands are Steinway & Sons, and I would suspect that this is no different with Yamaha and the drumline equipment. Sponsorships and contracts like these usually stipulate that the brand name be visible in public.

It's possible that Yamaha is even providing use of the drums in exchange for their logo being so prominent. Besides the visibility, Yamaha also gets field-testing of their R&D efforts - this is cutting-edge equipment.

I was in the percussion section back in the early '80s, before such arrangements. We had some very old Ludwigs which weren't even green, and we resorted to covering the shells with chrome-colored contact paper! :o

GreenBrigadeDebbie might have some insight...

As a current member of the Green Brigade, I can say that this hire adds LEAGUES of excitement for the band. The Green Brigade is full of avid football fans that haven't had a real reason to cheer at the games in the last two seasons. Heck, the sophomores didn't even get to see a Mean Green win until the SMU game last season! After hearing so much buzz about "the good ole days" of nation-leading rushers and back-to-back SBC Championships, it will be nice to see an exciting brand of football that will put more butts in seats---hopefully butts that will stay put during halftime!

As a current member of the Green Brigade, I can say that this hire adds LEAGUES of excitement for the band. The Green Brigade is full of avid football fans that haven't had a real reason to cheer at the games in the last two seasons. Heck, the sophomores didn't even get to see a Mean Green win until the SMU game last season! After hearing so much buzz about "the good ole days" of nation-leading rushers and back-to-back SBC Championships, it will be nice to see an exciting brand of football that will put more butts in seats---hopefully butts that will stay put during halftime!

I've been really impressed with the progress of the Green Brigade over the past few seasons, and the quality of your shows. Just wanted to let you know that there are some of us in the stands. :)

I've been really impressed with the progress of the Green Brigade over the past few seasons, and the quality of your shows. Just wanted to let you know that there are some of us in the stands. :)

To me the quality of the Green Brigade halftime shows has never been in question. What I have always questioned is the Band not taking primary responsibility for promoting spirit during the games. This was especially true during the Dr. Winslow era. In the last three or four years there has been a noticable change by the Band in that regard. The Band now regards itself as an integral and essential part of the game day experience.

Way to go guys! ;)

Edited by SilverEagle

I think the band is great. I wish it was a little bigger and "show-ier. Quality does outweigh size, in music at least. I still want to fix the Talons!!! The Talons are the "spirit" organization. IMHO it is their job to promote excitement at the games - starting on Monday. They are on campus all week...we are not. I want to see UNT flags all over Denton and the northern metro area. I am working on that myself.

Thanks!

The band---and Mr. Williams, the band director---do take ownership over the spirit of the game. It's just tough to pump up a crowd that is only there to get drunk (ie most of the student section). I've never had much to complain about with the alumni that come to the games though. My complaints are about the students--they're unmotivated and have no spirit. In all honesty though, it's hard to blame them. If there is a good, exciting product on the field, spirit will go up. The band, and all of the spirit organizations at NT can all benefit from THAT!

I have to applaud Mr. Williams. Ever since he took over the reigns of the GB back in '03 (my last season in the Green Brigade), he has been the instigator of more cheers from the band and in turn, the band started doing more cheers on their own. Mr. Williams loves the Mean Green and he shows it every game day! His love has rubbed off on the band!!!

I have sat in on some of their practices and Mr. Williams is a motivator! I really like his style.

If you ever get a chance, sit in a rehearsal of a major UNT ensemble. The educators they have are a direct correlation to the reputation of the school and will impress you. They aren't just musicians, but great speakers and educators. A business man who makes presentations can learn a lot through an observation over there.

Dennis Fischer came to El Paso a year ago to adjuticate a clinic. When he was done with his 20 minute critique of the local high school, nearly everyone in the room gave him an ovation. He just floored every one with his ability to connect, communicate, and keep the pace "go go go".

Williams is certainly no exception. I was truly blessed with great teachers.

-gm