Original Plans For The Stadium Call For A Starting Capacity Of 32,000

WIFE2HOT4U

I'll take 32K now in a heartbeat. We can add on later. I just hope this info is true. So, we have the donations/pledges to actually build it? It this true?

The 32,000 figure is from the original plan back in 2002. A new, larger with decks, design was presented since then and will likely be changed again, depending on funds available to build with.

40,000 seats, mostly sideline seats, should be the starting point, and expanded as needed from that...no less than 40K!

2009 can't get here soon enough! :rolleyes:

Edited by NT80

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I really like the horseshoe design that Minnesota is using for their new on-campus stadium. There is an upper deck but it's done right. Club level and suits are at the top of stadium. (It sure is nice to see what you can build when you can use state money)

Check out the schematics...

http://www1.umn.edu/stadium/stadium.php

They will regret having an open air stadium up there in November.

"The University has a solid plan to build a $248 million, 50,000-seat, Gopher-only campus football stadium. This is the best option for the University and for Minnesota."

That is one hell of a stadium and its pretty expensive. Surely we have enough to start with 40K-50K seats dont we? My position is we need to look at the far future.

They will regret having an open air stadium up there in November.

No they won't. One of the worst mistakes the Gophers and Vikings ever made was giving up one of the greatest home field advantages of the Minnesota cold. Granted it's cold for both teams but the old time Vikings often talk about the mental advantage they had when teams came to play at Metropolitan Stadium and the afternoon sun would drop below the grandstands.

It's not a scientific study but look at how these teams have done.

Gophers at Memorial Stadium/outdoors - National championships=10 Big 10 Championships = 16.... Gophers at the Metrodome/indoors - National Championships= 0, Big 10 Championships = 0

Vikings at Metropolitan Stadiu/outdoors - Super Bowls= 4 in 20 years, Metrodome- Super bowls = 0 in 27 years.

Besides, it's college football. It is meant to be played outside on a crisp autumn afternoon, .....the way the good Lord intended to be!

No they won't. One of the worst mistakes the Gophers and Vikings ever made was giving up one of the greatest home field advantages of the Minnesota cold. Granted it's cold for both teams but the old time Vikings often talk about the mental advantage they had when teams came to play at Metropolitan Stadium and the afternoon sun would drop below the grandstands.

It's not a scientific study but look at how these teams have done.

Gophers at Memorial Stadium/outdoors - National championships=10 Big 10 Championships = 16.... Gophers at the Metrodome/indoors - National Championships= 0, Big 10 Championships = 0

Vikings at Metropolitan Stadiu/outdoors - Super Bowls= 4 in 20 years, Metrodome- Super bowls = 0 in 27 years.

Besides, it's college football. It is meant to be played outside on a crisp autumn afternoon, .....the way the good Lord intended to be!

Well put. You don't hear too many cheeseheads clamoring for Lambeau Field to be enclosed.

One of the arguments for building a new stadium was to attract high profile opponents for home games. Will a 32k seat stadium be enough to get TAMU, Tech, OSU, etc... to come to Denton? Will having a modern stadium be enough for "big name" schools to want to sign a deal that involves home games for us?

Well SMU only seats 32k and they've been able to bring in the likes of Baylor, TCU, Tx Tech, Ok State, Navy.

Well SMU only seats 32k and they've been able to bring in the likes of Baylor, TCU, Tx Tech, Ok State, Navy.

Also, I think SMU has hosted Arkansas there....more than once.

And, USM has a 32,000 seat stadium and has had home games with Nebraska, Cal, and Texas A & M.

I fully realize that 32,000 seats isn't much more than our current capacity. But think about that current capacity: It's 30,500 with 10,000 of those, being the worst seats in college football (those horrible end zone seats). It's a wonder that we ever get any of our fans to sit in those things.

So, 32,000 seats done right...will IMHO be about 12,000 more seats than we currently have (if you catch my drift).

Also, I think SMU has hosted Arkansas there....more than once.

.......... It's 30,500 with 10,000 of those, being the worst seats in college football (those horrible end zone seats). It's a wonder that we ever get any of our fans to sit in those things.

So, 32,000 seats done right...will IMHO be about 12,000 more seats than we currently have (if you catch my drift).

You mean people wouldn't want to consistently sit here: ;)

334F0104.jpg

One of the arguments for building a new stadium was to attract high profile opponents for home games. Will a 32k seat stadium be enough to get TAMU, Tech, OSU, etc... to come to Denton? Will having a modern stadium be enough for "big name" schools to want to sign a deal that involves home games for us?

Of course, total monies raised in the beginning of this new UNT football stadium project (and most exciting journey for all of us connected to UNT) will dictate the initial capacity of our new stadium, but those of us in the "40,000 club" feel we would be able to sell about 8,000 more tickets to Longhorn fans, Aggie fans, OSU Cowboy fans, OU fans, TTech fans, an improved Baylor football program and their fans, etc, etc, etc. and what the heck, even many more new UNT fans that could fill those 8,000 additional seats (hey folks, our campus enrollment and city/county of Denton are all three hardly getting smaller in size these days and now even Mr. Goldfield has already projected UNT to be #2 in enrollment in the future and that being only behind UT-Austin, too); :wacko: YET.......... that 8,000 additional tickets X's the price of each of those tickets can sure pay many more bills for UNT Athletics than if 8,000 out of town fans for all the other aforementioned schools couldn't get into our new stadium because it was the same size as SMU's. :( AND FWIW.............our new stadium out at our Eagle Point Campus will undoubtedly be much more accessible for visitors than SMU's "painted in a corner" stadium situation.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

east_rendering_lg.jpg

It would be wonderful to have something similar to that at North Texas.

Eliminate the upper seats in the end zones and have the sideline seats be a single huge ramp on each side.

The really nice thing is that it has HUGE club room and luxury box capacity and those suites and clubrooms are up there exactly where they are supposed to be. Those clubrooms can be used for events like wedding receptions and coctail parties on days when a game isn't played, and they won't interfere with the collegiate atmosphere or sightlines on those days when there is a game.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I agree that the original master plan called for seating of 32,000 but I find that the revised master plan indicates that the seating is to be for 35,000 at a cost of $35 million. Sorry, I didn't note the page number but I believe that it's in the first paragraph on one of the pages.

Now, we can start the controversy anew; not that we need any encouragement.

Personally, I'll be happy with whatever they come up with. It will be light years ahead of Fouts.

stadium.jpg

Here is a concept that was given to RV back in '03 or '04 I believe by GreenGrenade. I like it much better than the current design shown on the NT website.

Rick

Wow FFR thats the best design I have seen so far. Good Job Rick Spears, Good Job....

Im really appalled that the the Athletic Dept didnt take input or designs from the fans, everyone has great ideas and suggestions....

Edited by UNT_playmaker

stadium.jpg

Here is a concept that was given to RV back in '03 or '04 I believe by GreenGrenade. I like it much better than the current design shown on the NT website.

Rick

Looks good, but doesn't look like much room for expansion. We need to build something that's very versatile for the future. It should be designed so that whatever the needed expansion, 5K, 10K, 30K, would be feasible.