Will New Running Backs Hurt J-mo?

emmitt01

Make no mistake, you were not seeing a healthy Jamario playing with Cobbs two seasons ago. I think he will be driven to work even harder in the offseason and that there will be plenty of balls to go around. I think it is no coincidence that Todge brought over a guy from Air Force who has been coaching a run first offense. I truly believe we will see wrinkles in the Dodge offense that we may not have seen in his high school coaching. Plenty of running to exploit the defense when they back up.

Make no mistake, you were not seeing a healthy Jamario playing with Cobbs two seasons ago. I think he will be driven to work even harder in the offseason and that there will be plenty of balls to go around. I think it is no coincidence that Todge brought over a guy from Air Force who has been coaching a run first offense. I truly believe we will see wrinkles in the Dodge offense that we may not have seen in his high school coaching. Plenty of running to exploit the defense when they back up.

Competition is good!!! Basically now if you snooze or slack off you will not hold onto your position. Will be fun to watch a focused disciplined team.

Do you guys think Jamario works best with pressure behind him? His freshman year he had the job locked up and performed better. With Cobbs taking carries his sophmore year he seemed to lose something.

J-Mo did great his freshman year because he was in great physical shape and motivated. Sophomore year came in overweight, out of shape and ended up injured and has never really recovered. J-Mo's problems had nothing to do with competition from others.

J-Mo did great his freshman year because he was in great physical shape and motivated. Sophomore year came in overweight, out of shape and ended up injured and has never really recovered. J-Mo's problems had nothing to do with competition from others.

I am excited about the new rb recruits because I don't believe jamario can carry the load after what has happened to him the past 2 seasons. He just isn't the same football player he was his freshman year and once these guys step in front of him on the depth chart maybe he will want to earn his spot back, so great job todd dodge

Do you guys think Jamario works best with pressure behind him? His freshman year he had the job locked up and performed better. With Cobbs taking carries his sophmore year he seemed to lose something.

Well he also had the job locked up his junior year....didn't he? And last season, he wasn't up to what he was his freshman year. So, having the job, didn't seem to help last year.

I think though in 2007, that we'll see a motivated J-Mo, finish his career with a bang. I think he'll have a great senior year, and be drafted by the NFL in April 2008.

And I agree with bowler...competition is good. And looks to me like we have quality RBs lined up: senior--Jamario; junior--Cam Montgomery; soph---Evan Robertson; freshman---Micah Moseley.

Edited by SUMG

I think though in 2007, that we'll see a motivated J-Mo, finish his career with a bang. I think he'll have a great senior year, and be drafted by the NFL in April 2008.

I hope you're right, but at this moment he is a very, very, very long way from being an NFL-draft prospect. Those sophomore and junior years really hurt his chances of being drafted. He's been injured, which brings up questions of durability. He has little kick-return experience, which got a back like Darren Sproles from Kansas State picked in the fourth round by San Diego.

He would need to have a senior season like his freshman year, only bigger, dominating Sun Belt opponents and showing that he has regained his quickness and speed - in which case he might be drafted on Day 2, where Garrett Wolfe of Northern Illinois is projected this year.

Let's face it, J-Mo has been a flash in the pan. A wonderful freshman season, followed by 2 poor seasons. Insert reasons or excuses (injury, lack of a line, out of shape, etc...) Right now he is not even on the radar for the NFL draft. Free agent at best ala Cobbs.

I think Dodge is doing the smart thing and covering his arse if J-Mo has another sub-par year.

I hope I am wrong about J-Mo, love to see him tear through the competition, but there are such things as "one hit wonders"

Well he also had the job locked up his junior year....didn't he? And last season, he wasn't up to what he was his freshman year. So, having the job, didn't seem to help last year.

And I agree with bowler...competition is good. And looks to me like we have quality RBs lined up: senior--Jamario; junior--Cam Montgomery; soph---Evan Robertson; freshman---Micah Moseley.

I seriously doubt J-mo will get drafted. People seem to forget how hard it actually is to get into the NFL. Cobbs career was ten times better and you see him still struggling to stay around. Im sure he will get a shot in someone's training camp...but no matter the outcome of the 07 season, he will be a huge long shot on being drafted.

All I got to say is Jamario better get his act together and decide what kind of back he wants to be remembered for. I'm starting to wonder if he was a one year wonder, behind a great offensive line.

All I got to say is Jamario better get his act together and decide what kind of back he wants to be remembered for. I'm starting to wonder if he was a one year wonder, behind a great offensive line.

J-Mo is very talented and was only a one hit wonder so far because of a bad coaches misuse of his abilities. Thomas is a finess back not a pound it up the middle back like Cobbs or Galbreath yet DD had him run up the middle time and time again even against 10 in the box. If DD didn't do too much damage to his body over the last 2 years I think we will see the J-Mo of old once you get a real coach that can adjust to his players abilities rather than never adjusting to anything.

Oh and another big reason he did so well is Cobbs was coaching him on the sidelines and during practice and helping him with film. Once he left J-Mo was at the mercy of our coaching staff and we have seen what they have done to talented players when they start coaching. Look at WW for a prime example this season.

Edited by MeanGreenBuzz

Having a great college career doesn't mean anything in the NFL anymore. If a player performs well at the combine(if he is invited) or in front of scouts at pro days, then he will get attention. He will probably need a good senior season, but most importantly is that he has to be healthy and stay healthy all year and be in top shape to show what he has for NFL scouts after the season.

Having a great college career doesn't mean anything in the NFL anymore. If a player performs well at the combine(if he is invited) or in front of scouts at pro days, then he will get attention. He will probably need a good senior season, but most importantly is that he has to be healthy and stay healthy all year and be in top shape to show what he has for NFL scouts after the season.

Right...thats why so many guys skip the combine...hmmm.

I understand the combine is a big deal and many players do get hyped up off of their showing there. Like I said, Jamario will most likely end up in a camp...but he still has a lot of question marks on him. When a player is drafted that is guaranteed money...most teams will take a guy who had a great college career and a good showing at the combine before they draft a so..so..college career and a great 40 time, and shuttle run guy.

The good thing is everyone who knows Dodge, knows that Jamario is gonna have to work this season.

That actually proves his point. The individual workout has become so critical and overtaken college production when it comes to draft status, that many players now opt to have their own workout. This gives them an extra week or two to prepare, and they can have the all important workout on their terms, they name the time and place.

I do agree that Jamario will probably not be taken with a first day draft pick no matter what, and will more than likely be a free agent. He will get his chance, and he when he gets it, he needs to make the most of it like Brad did.

In the games I have seen SLC play this year, I never saw a two back set. That is not to say that TD won't utilize that at North Texas, but it seems like his offensive philosophy revolves around spreading the field with at least four receivers. I have been told by DC's that the two back, three receiver set is easier to scheme against than a one back, four receiver set. I don't have enough experience to have my own opnion on this, but guys who know what they are doing have told me that before.

I understand the combine is a big deal and many players do get hyped up off of their showing there. Like I said, Jamario will most likely end up in a camp...but he still has a lot of question marks on him. When a player is drafted that is guaranteed money...most teams will take a guy who had a great college career and a good showing at the combine before they draft a so..so..college career and a great 40 time, and shuttle run guy.

The good thing is everyone who knows Dodge, knows that Jamario is gonna have to work this season.

welcome to the board, btw :)

I would think that Mosley will play very very little this year running the ball. In order i'm thinking the backs will be Thomas, Robertson and then Montgomery. Obviously if Montgomery has fire up his butt then yeah he will be the second back behind Thomas to start the season but I believe since TD will have the option of having 2 very good backs and two other competent ones I think he will rotate both JMO and Montgomery a lot.

The durability of RBs in the NFL has come into question. This is why so many NFL teams are going to having 2 featured backs instead of just one.

The same is true in college. Having a second back to share the load benifits both backs.

That actually proves his point. The individual workout has become so critical and overtaken college production when it comes to draft status, that many players now opt to have their own workout. This gives them an extra week or two to prepare, and they can have the all important workout on their terms, they name the time and place.

I do agree that Jamario will probably not be taken with a first day draft pick no matter what, and will more than likely be a free agent. He will get his chance, and he when he gets it, he needs to make the most of it like Brad did.

In the games I have seen SLC play this year, I never saw a two back set. That is not to say that TD won't utilize that at North Texas, but it seems like his offensive philosophy revolves around spreading the field with at least four receivers. I have been told by DC's that the two back, three receiver set is easier to scheme against than a one back, four receiver set. I don't have enough experience to have my own opnion on this, but guys who know what they are doing have told me that before.

I agree with you on a lot. Im still gonna say that Jamario will end up in a camp...just won't be drafted.

I actually love the offense that TD is bringing in. Especially since everyone says Jamario is not a bang it up the middle back, this offense will actually work wonders for his skill.

J-Mo is very talented and was only a one hit wonder so far because of a bad coaches misuse of his abilities. Thomas is a finess back not a pound it up the middle back like Cobbs or Galbreath yet DD had him run up the middle time and time again even against 10 in the box. If DD didn't do too much damage to his body over the last 2 years I think we will see the J-Mo of old once you get a real coach that can adjust to his players abilities rather than never adjusting to anything.

Oh and another big reason he did so well is Cobbs was coaching him on the sidelines and during practice and helping him with film. Once he left J-Mo was at the mercy of our coaching staff and we have seen what they have done to talented players when they start coaching. Look at WW for a prime example this season.

I agree. When J-MO was at his prime, our OL was still dominant in the belt and gave him time and good enough blocks to make it outside and turn the corner. He isn't a power-RB, he's a speed-RB and with that kind of guy, you'll need a powerful OL to buy the guy time to make a play.

If you look at the big highlights for J-MO from his big year, you'll see that it's mostly plays that bring him outside or plays where there are really, really good blocks made. These last 2 years, he didn't have that kind of blocking or the adjustments weren't made so he never had a chance to make a big play. In short terms, it's not the RB's fault if he gets tackled one step after getting the carry. That's on the OL and the coaches. J-MO still has it, but like talent in anything, it's got to have the right leadership and the right team to use it.

Even Cobbs ran into that problem his last year. He's a power-RB and we've seen him hammer through lines before, but an RB can only punch through so many defenders. Proof? Look at the Memphis game.

Wilson, and well...probably the entire QB roster was badly worked with, too.

I talked to a NFL scout about Jamario. He told me he has to learn to spot holes better and not be so reliant on the pop out run. He got in a habit of running into the back of lineman and then trying to use his speed to pop out for a big run. All that stopped in the Southern Miss game. They kept their backers on the outside to stop those long runs. Everyone has done the same thing since. He doesn't hit the holes really hard either since he's always looking for a homerun.

I'm not putting all the blame on him. His line didn't help alot, the playcalling didn't help alot, and I'm sure the overall coaching atmosphere didn't help either.

The players that skip the combine already know they are going to be drafted and are more worried about dropping in the draft rather than improving their stock. Players from schools like UNT have to use the combine and pro days to help themselves get noticed.

I know...were actually agreeing on the same thing, and your not telling me anything I don't know. What I am saying is that J-mo is going to need an awesome season and an awesome combine workout just to get invited to a camp. I love North Texas...but coming from here is gonna hurt him trying to turn pro, and that he had two really so so seasons does not do anything to help his case. All Im saying is that I hope he is gonna do everything in his power to do his part in helping make North Texas a strong football program again. If he is really as good as everyone says, than the offense he will run this season will show that.

I want all North Texas football players to do well, so hopefully Jamario will have a career season next year. Its all up to which Jamario shows up next season???

I talked to a NFL scout about Jamario. He told me he has to learn to spot holes better and not be so reliant on the pop out run. He got in a habit of running into the back of lineman and then trying to use his speed to pop out for a big run. All that stopped in the Southern Miss game. They kept their backers on the outside to stop those long runs. Everyone has done the same thing since. He doesn't hit the holes really hard either since he's always looking for a homerun.

I'm not putting all the blame on him. His line didn't help alot, the playcalling didn't help alot, and I'm sure the overall coaching atmosphere didn't help either.

Good post..