Carroll Lb Padron Commits To Unt

NT80

January 6, 2007

Carroll LB Padron commits to UNT

After being hired at North Texas, former Southlake Carroll coach Todd Dodge said he wanted to turn UNT into a school filled with area talent. He'll have one of his own on defense next year.

Carroll middle linebacker Justin Padron orally committed to play for Dodge and UNT. Oral commitments are nonbinding, and Padron can't sign until Feb. 7.

Padron wasn't the biggest linebacker (6-0, 225), but his technique has been as good as it gets. He and DE Kyle Russo were two main keys in Carroll's stingy defense, one that held nine opponents to seven points or less during its run for a third-consecutive 5A state title. Still, Padron had 240 tackles, three interceptions, three sacks and three forced fumbles.

"I felt really comfortable with my decision," said Padron, who added he'd been wearing a UNT baseball cap on Saturday. "Coach Dodge is a phenomenal coach. I said if I got that opportunity, I'd jump all over it."

Padron wanted to play college football close to home, but he added that SMU and TCU only were willing to take him as a walk-on.

"I think it was just designed for me to be at UNT. It was a sign from God that I was supposed to end up four more years with Coach Dodge," Padron said.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Telegram Area top 50 selection

Dallas Morning News 1st-team all area selection

AP 5A 1st-team All State

Pretty good pick up by Dodge. A little undersized but just seems to make plays.

Since when is 6' 225 undersized for an 18 year old LB? Does the undersized talk mean that he's more like 5'10" 200? Just wondering, but it sounds like a good pickup either way.

You might want to PM Harry the players and info, so the rest of us can view it, that is, unless you have been asked to keep it private.

We have a source we think is really reliable and very, very close to the players. There's some talk that the players coming here are trying to bring others along as well. No guarantees though as it's just talk.

The DMN All-Area team listed him as 215 lbs so who knows how big he is.

Don't know a thing about the kid other than the stats listed for him but his 40 seems a little slow. Some of that can certainly be made up with having a good nose for the football but when the game gets faster as it does at D-1 level it may be a hindrance. Of course speed may be much more an issue if he were OLB but just the same...

Is this kid rated by rivals or scout? I would like to brag to my UH freinds if we got a 3 or 4 star recruit.

He's not ranked by Rivals yet. When he gets on there he'll be a 2 star 4.9-5.1 type of guy. Definately not a top recruit, but it's exciting to hear the news. He's a guy that will play great in the system because he'll know it.

I've never stood next to him...but I'd bet his a bit smaller than 6-0 225. No matter. He's just another guy that's going to play well in the system, and when it comes time for him to be a starter, I bet he'll produce.

Note: Chris Hurd was a walk-on at North Texas. Padron will be a STAR at UNT! Brad Kasell, Cody Spencer, Chris Hud, Casey Taylor, what a foursome. I really believe Padron will be in that class before he departs from the Mean Green Nation!

I agree with Emmitt.... Don't worry about SMU and TCU's thoughs!

Dodge Ball...they are beginning to duck!!!!

For a school that we whooped 24-6 to think that he is a walkon...well, I won't lose much sleep over it.

Yeah, but what about addressing TCU.

I'm really starting to worry that we're about to become Southlake - North Campus. And that'll be fine if we can compete...but just bringing in your buddies and former players really screams of Parcells-esque and, to use a word everyone seems to use about RV, cronyism.

Don't know a thing about the kid other than the stats listed for him but his 40 seems a little slow. Some of that can certainly be made up with having a good nose for the football but when the game gets faster as it does at D-1 level it may be a hindrance. Of course speed may be much more an issue if he were OLB but just the same...

Zach Thomas, too slow, too short, just makes plays.

Its one recruit out of how many?

I am not concerned about turning into SOuthalke North.

A few players is fine. Might help to have some people who can come in and teach the players we already have how to play within the system, regardless of their end impact

Ill take this over any of DD's stealth recruiting and whole classes that didnt pan out

Its not like the just announced our signing class and its all SLC players

While it didn't work for Spurrier ( bringing in ex-Gator players to Washington ) , I can't see it hurting bringing in players that #1 Have a winning attitude and are accustomed for success #2 players who know TD's system can only make things easier to teach other players #3 If things go well , maybe it could help start a trend since in 08 SLC will have one of the top rated QB's ( Dodge ) & RB ( Newton ) in the state