The real hire to watch - defensive coordinator

Next year, we return our top eight defenders from this season, and ten of the top 11. Sky Pruitt is the only graduate among the leading tacklers. We did a great job on the road in the second half of the season defensively, giving up only 14 at Troy and 7 and U La-La.

As I stated in another thread, we can regain the Sun Belt title without the offense going full guns yet in 2007. The key will be to either retain Bleil or hire someone in his mold to continue what was becoming a pretty good defensive unit at the end of the season.

If the offense can simply gain some first downs and cut down the turnovers, we give ourselves a chance by not constantly putting the defense in a hole every time they step out on to the field.

If you look at our roster, you'll see we had 35 freshmen, 1 redshirt freshman, and 18 sophomores - well over half the squad. This team has plenty of room to grow and many years to grasp a system. The defense, however, is far ahead of the offense as far as I can see, and keeping it together should be the focus of the defensive coordinator decision.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

You've got to be kidding me, the defense made me sick last season, they seemed to have trouble running zone in the passing game, there were always gaping holes in the secondary... Also i'm not sure the exact number, but NT had few 3 and outs. sure u may consider them a "bend but don't break" defense because they gave up few points, but having your defense on the field that much just wears them down, and allows the other team to gain momentum and field position.. No doubt bringing back eight guys with experience is goin to help us though, the defense will be much better next season no matter who is running the ship

Edited by Keith7

I'm pretty sure I saw where DeLoach applied for HC at SFA also.  Hopefully he's thinking about coming back to the Lone Star State.

Second That!!!

Yes he did along with DD and RF.

If he was willing to leave UCLA ( for those who have never been , the NICEST overall campus Ive ever seen ) for Nacadumpass , then Im sure he really wants to get back to TEXAS. Im sure the salary for head coach at SFA couldnt be too far off from the head DC here.

The New DD = Dodge & DeLoach

Edited by NT03

I certainly hope so.

Is Evans worth keeping? I lost respect for him when he head coached one game (forget who it was against) this season and did a "K8MITB" style performance. What really irked me was that during the Mean Green Insider interview concerning this game, he said with a silly smirk on his face, "we got out coached." UUUUGGGGHH.

• 1 year later...

Next year, we return our top eight defenders from this season, and ten of the top 11. Sky Pruitt is the only graduate among the leading tacklers. We did a great job on the road in the second half of the season defensively, giving up only 14 at Troy and 7 and U La-La.

As I stated in another thread, we can regain the Sun Belt title without the offense going full guns yet in 2007. The key will be to either retain Bleil or hire someone in his mold to continue what was becoming a pretty good defensive unit at the end of the season.

If the offense can simply gain some first downs and cut down the turnovers, we give ourselves a chance by not constantly putting the defense in a hole every time they step out on to the field.

If you look at our roster, you'll see we had 35 freshmen, 1 redshirt freshman, and 18 sophomores - well over half the squad. This team has plenty of room to grow and many years to grasp a system. The defense, however, is far ahead of the offense as far as I can see, and keeping it together should be the focus of the defensive coordinator decision.

Bump :D

You've got to be kidding me, the defense made me sick last season, they seemed to have trouble running zone in the passing game, there were always gaping holes in the secondary... Also i'm not sure the exact number, but NT had few 3 and outs. sure u may consider them a "bend but don't break" defense because they gave up few points, but having your defense on the field that much just wears them down, and allows the other team to gain momentum and field position.. No doubt bringing back eight guys with experience is goin to help us though, the defense will be much better next season no matter who is running the ship

I'm willing to bet Keith7 has an updated version of "sick".

Scary insight by TFLF.

Good find '03.

Rick