John L. Smith out at Mich St.

CaribbeanGreen

As of this moment, not clear whether he resigned or was fired... press conference this afternoon.

This guy was one of the hottest coaches around when leaving Louisville a few years ago, with an innovative offense no one could stop.... I wonder where this leaves him after the meltdown at MSU?? As a coordinator at a big time BCS school or possibly a HC on a mid major level?

Thoughts?

Dream On....There is no way Smith will come here. He will not fall from the BIG 10 to the Belt. Shcnellenberger (sp) being the exception (OU scandal) IMO the sun belt is a place where mid-level coaches get their chance to be head coaches. Spin their wheels for a few years and die. Most hot, up and coming coaches are going to take a cordinators job at a BCS conference school before they commit career suicide and join the Sun Belt.

We are stuck with Dickey for the next two years boys.......

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The last time I looked the Sun Belt was playing 1A football. In fact, the Sun Belt is very close to competing with CUSA. With a few precious head coaching gigs why dogde the opportunity to make an impact? This bashing of the Belt is getting old. Our league is about start winning some of those close battles (next year - mark it) and CAN draw a name coach who does not think they are done.

Bring on John L.

GMG

I would LOVE to have Smith or any other big name coach. I am just stating the facts. The Belt is improving and we are somewhat catching up to WAC and CUSA. But you cant tell me if you have the chance to be the OC or DC at a SEC, BIG12 etc.... or be a head coach at a Belt school that is limited by recruits, stadiums and yes Fan support (I hope there are 8,000 others with me Sat night in the cold and rain at Fouts) that you wouldnt take the BCS school everytime. Like I said, it would be career suicide to be the head coach and lose your job in 5years and go from a hot name back down to just another guy. (see Dickey when he gets canned)

I don't have the answer, but I would start off by trying to raise money for a new stadium, which would attract recruits, which might attract a big name coach, which might attract a larger fan base...etc.......

See you in the rain Sat night....

QUOTE(RETSO @ Nov 1 2006, 02:53 PM)

That's what I'm hearin'. sad.gif

If this is the case UNT deserves whatever comes its way. Yes, we might win conference games in the next year or two, but BFD – It will be in the worst 1-A conference in existence. Of course there are the Green-Glasses wearing fans who will always be content with Sun Belt success and beg to give Dickey a lifetime contract if he wins games in the Belt. But put your money on it – we will/have be passed by every team in the Belt within 2 years. For those who hope for a short at C-USA one day – stop putting yourself through the stress – IT WILL NOT HAPPEN.