UNT law school

Stan R

UNT LAW

Shows a timeline - completion and start of classes - 2009. What a coincidence? We will have a new stadium the same year!! OH JOY!!! rolleyes.gif

As an aside- that is a beautiful historical building they picked. Just sort of looks like a law school building. Although I would have preferred it to be in Denton.

Edited by Stan R

Is this a done deal ?  The last time I heard anything about NT Law, the Legislature ran out of time and failed to fund the project.  Does this still have to clear the House of Reps ?

GO MEAN GREEN (LAW)

----I don't think is was matter of time at all. There was a Texas State Budget passed in 2005 but the law school had not been funded and neither was the UTEP pharmacy school which is completed but unstaffed. Our wonderful Governor then vetoed that budget and refused to call a special session until about a year later. All of education (universities and public schools) suffered and even after special sessions were called nothing was done for education --upper level or public schools.

--- If you want things to change then vote for anyone but the guy there now. The state parks are falling apart, he wants toll roads, does nothing for education (caused college tuition to incease rapidly and local property taxes) at any level and is a DeLay buddy. Because of him and a couple more folks, Strayhorn left the party and ran against him...... and no I am not a Strayhorn supporter but she would be a lot better than him for education and the State of Texas.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I hate it that we are taking a black-mold and asbestos repository off the hands of the City of Dallas. That site is landlocked and surrounded by bums and urban decay. Since LJ has helped his buddies by taking that site, the least they could do is implode the damned building and start from scratch with a functional building and a parking garage on that lot on the east side. Then put up a guard tower with machinegun turrets so it will be safe to go there. I have been inside it several times and it is functionally obsolescent as well as being physically obsolescent.

Having vented, I will say that I am glad to see us doing something about launching the law school. That is very positive. Would have liked for it to be built in Denton but I agree that the "customer base" will probably be larger at the Dallas location.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Is this going to be the University of North Texas School of Law, or the University of North Texas at Dallas School of Law?

According to the article.....The University of North Texas College of Law.

There's no support for a law school in Denton. Linking the project to South Dallas was key in building support for the project. Political support matters because we ain't got the cash to buy Texas Wesylan.

And its not a forced choice of Law School or Stadium. The university can't issue bonds to build a stadium the same way it can for the Law School.

The law school has to be in Downtown Dallas. That was our area's legislatures' requirement for us to get the school.

It's all but a done deal. Senator West said in class a few days ago that he has plenty of votes, and it WILL happen next session.

The City of Dallas will contribute $ 20 million to the renovation of the building, and The State will contribute $20 million more. The Cost to UNT will be minimal.

It is still not decided wether or not it will be UNT or UNTD. Most likely it will be part of the Downtown Dallas extension of UNT Denton when UNT takes over the University center for the downtown campus announced in the DMN on monday.

As for the Wesleyan rumors, that fell through because TCU didn't have the money, and UNT could not affiliate/buy outright a private school. Courts struck that option down when they refused to let TAMU buy South Texas College of Law a few years ago in Houston.

I hate it that we are taking a black-mold and asbestos repository off the hands of the City of Dallas.  That site is landlocked and surrounded by bums and urban decay.  Since LJ has helped his buddies by taking that site, the least they could do is implode the damned building and start from scratch with a functional building and a parking garage on that lot on the east side.  Then put up a guard tower with machinegun turrets so it will be safe to go there.  I have been inside it several times and it is functionally obsolescent as well as being physically obsolescent. 

---Having vented, I will say that I am glad to see us doing something about launching the law school.  That is very positive.  Would have liked for it to be built in Denton but I agree that the "customer base" will probably be larger at the Dallas location.

---At one time the downtown of Fort Worth was really bad where the WaterGardens, Ft. Worth Colesium, and Texas Wesleyan Law School now stands. It has been redone and their downtown far surpasses Dallas now for nighttime activity and a good place to visit. I have been to a lot of cities in the USA and even worldwide and I have to say that downtown Dallas has got to be the worst I have been in at the moment. This would be an impressive loking law school building and might help revitalize the area. It will eventualy happen. Except for West End, (a good start) downtown Dallas seems pretty dead. Increased mass transit into the area has helped and could help more.

--- Lets us hope the next legislature (and Gov.) is more helpful than the current group is to education and North Texas.

---Not that this is important to yawl but one of my sons now lives in Richardson and drive to Ft Worth several evenings a week to go to Law School. I don't think he was all that thrilled with SMU ( or the cost) who did accept him after he had began the registration process at Wesleyan. A lot of the evening students there commute from Dallas County now. He likely would have been a UNT 2ed year law-student had it been open.

--Yawl may disagree, but I think this will help connect the City of Dallas with UNT more than it is now..... I also like the fact that this old building looks interesting and will not look like some "start-up school" and this building has a lot of history so it will attract attention. In much older cities, especially European ones , good buildings are constantly being remodeled and last for centuries. ......Move over SMU, you will have more company in big D. ..... LOL

It is still not decided wether or not it will be UNT or UNTD.  Most likely it will be part of the Downtown Dallas extension of UNT Denton when UNT takes over the University center for the downtown campus announced in the DMN on monday.

blink.gif uhhh..... what?? So it could be named

The University of North Texas at Denton Downtown Dallas Extension School of Law?

UNTDDDESL?

AWESOME! rolleyes.gif

Since LJ has helped his buddies by taking that site, the least they could do is implode the damned building and start from scratch with a functional building and a parking garage on that lot on the east side.

Please don't do that. If you let UNT demolish the place and rebuild it then you will have a law school building that looks like the gateway center. NO THANKS.

I hate it that we are taking a black-mold and asbestos repository off the hands of the City of Dallas.  That site is landlocked and surrounded by bums and urban decay.  Since LJ has helped his buddies by taking that site, the least they could do is implode the damned building and start from scratch with a functional building and a parking garage on that lot on the east side.

MBA---- That would be the biggest mistake in the world.... We will have a building with a history that will attract attention to us plus it will not make us look like a new struggling start-up law-school. Obviously you have NOT been to Europe where where well- constructed buildings are remodeled and used for centuries...The train station in Paris is now one of the great Art museums of the world, the D'Orsey. It even looks similiar to this one.

---It will be extremely functional once the remodeling has been completed. That open green area (future Park) will even highlight the new Building for all to see. We likely will open part of the lower area of the Building for tourism. I don't know much about being a MBA or advertising but that built in publicity looks great to me, and should help the school in the beginning.. people from everywhere that come to Dallas will look at it because of its history.....

Screaming Eagle-Y'all will have to agree that y'all that live in Richardson have a shortter commute to Dallas than y'all that live in Denton.  Y'all could go into Ft. Worth, but y'all are closer to S.M.U.  Y'all hear ?

---Hey yawl, I am West Texan and proud of it. Concerning SMU: 1. it is much more expensive, 2. most lawyers that I have talked to out here don't even know any SMU grads out here... their comments are that a SMU degree may be great in Dallas but out out here most people here really don't really want them. Considering the second reason, it really isn't worth the extra money and out of the Dallas area it seems tougher to get hired if they don't go into private practice. I have heard several different reasons. Usually Baylor, Texas, and Tech does better on the bar exam passing rate than SMU but last time both SMU and Wesleyan moved up a lot, SMU 2? , and Wesleyan 4.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Since MGW is a lawyer, I believe that I'm going to go with his view on this one.

As I understand it, we won't be in competition much with the SMU Law School because we will be more like Baylor. Baylor graduates are heavy into government....didstrict attorneys, judges, etc. whereas SMU is more into corporate law.

SMU's law school is pretty much worthless. Working in a law office with a pony grad, he's constantly talking about how poorly prepared SMU grads are for the actual legal field. And that's not just one...i've heard it often. Also, Eagle66 is right, outside of Dallas an SMU law degree does nothing more than a standard one for you.

Also, don' pay any heed to the US News Rankings - ever. As the Law School Admit Council says itself, and pretty clearly...

A ranking system that exemplifies the shortcomings of all “by the numbers” schemes is the one produced annually by U.S. News & World Report. While ignoring the variables listed above, as do all numbers-based ranking systems, the U.S. News rankings purport to be derived from mathematical formulae based on data common to all law schools. The “weights” attached to the variables are arbitrary and reflect only the view of the magazine’s editors.
LSAC Page...go to Rankings.