FW*Telegram sputtering offense has logjam at QB

OldTimer

Sputtering offense has logjam at quarterback

By TROY PHILLIPS

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DENTON - Whoever starts at quarterback for North Texas is fast becoming a moot point.

Woody Wilson, Daniel Meager and Matt Phillips all have played in at least four games. Wilson has three starts, Phillips two. None have run the offense with any degree of consistency, but Phillips hasn't thrown a pass in three games.

So it could be Phillips' turn soon on the quarterback merry-go-round, either as a starter or off the bench.

"I think there's no question that's a strong possibility," UNT coach Darrell Dickey said Tuesday. "He was our initial starter. He was the guy in two-a-days we felt could give us the best chance."

Phillips has gotten lost in the mix after Wilson's performance (103 yards passing, 78 rushing) against SMU in UNT's only victory and Meager's return from a concussion. Now, there appears to be no real order among the three, so Dickey will continue to evaluate.

"We're looking at trying lots of things," Dickey said.

Secondary changes

UNT plugged in junior-college transfer Roy Loren at strong safety on Saturday, giving the secondary a speedy, physical player who's still learning the system. Loren missed much of the early part of the season, waiting to be cleared academically.

Loren replaced sophomore Steve Warren in the starting lineup. Warren has moved to free safety behind junior Aaron Weathers, and now the secondary has more of an upperclassman presence.

"Roy brings us some playmaking ability there," Darryl Dickey said. "If Roy can pick a few more things up, he gives us a little more speed and acceleration."

Loren had trouble at times on run defense, where his assignment was to help contain or redirect Middle Tennessee running backs on an "inside zone" play, Dickey said.

Offense bottoms out

Almost everything that can hinder an offense is happening to UNT, and it shows in the Division I-A statistical rankings.

Out of 119 teams, UNT ranks 119th in total offense at 177.4 yards per game, which is 20 yards less than No. 118 Temple.

UNT is 116th in passing offense at 93.8 yards per game. Two of three teams behind UNT (Air Force and Navy) use run-based attacks. Sun Belt foe Louisiana-Lafayette is 117th in passing but ranks 19th in the running game.

The Mean Green is 115th in scoring offense (9.4 points per game) and isn't helping itself early in games. The UNT offense hasn't scored a first-quarter touchdown in 17 consecutive contests.

UNT ranks 105th in rushing offense at 83 yards per game.

Briefly

Linebacker Colt Mahan (ankle) will sit out most of this week's practices and likely return for Saturday's game against Florida International. Linebacker Phillip Graves (knee) did not suit up against Middle Tennessee but could play this week.

The offense's 40 plays against Middle Tennessee were an all-time low for UNT in one game.

ONLINE: meangreenathletics.com

GAMEDAY

UNT VS. FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL

6 p.m. Saturday, Fouts Field

Radio: KWRD/100.7 FM; KNTU/88.1 FM

Tickets: $8-$16.

800-868-2366 or

meangreensports.com

Records: UNT 1-4, 0-1; Florida International 0-5, 0-2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Troy Phillips, 817-390-7760 tphillips@star-telegram.com

makes sense...our line couldn't block a 9th grader so let's put a statue back there. Everyone that was reporting the Phillips has such a good arm...sorry I don't see it. Meager....looks like he can throw a decent 10 yrd slant and that is about it...forget a fly pattern our any kind of out pattern...isn't happening w/ him.

i wasn't expecting DD to be fired this week. i have been disappointed though that RF hasn't been fired. it's like nobody has to answer around here..... they keep saying well the o-line sucks. ok well fire the offensive line coach. do something... as fans we need to see that something is being done! that "something" though is not starting Meager at qb

i wasn't expecting DD to be fired this week.  i have been disappointed though that RF hasn't been fired.  it's like nobody has to answer around here..... they keep saying well the o-line sucks.  ok well fire the offensive line coach.  do something...  as fans we need to see that something is being done!  that "something" though is not starting Meager at qb

Don't fool yourself. The offense goes through DD. Flanny may call the plays but DD ain't sending the play out there if he doesn't like it. The reason we have so many delay penalties is that Ramone has to think of a play and then it goes through DD for approval and then to the Quarterback du jour. If RF were to be fired, the offense would not change AT ALL.

Don't fool yourself. The offense goes through DD. Flanny may call the plays but DD ain't sending the play out there if he doesn't like it. The reason we have so many delay penalties is that Ramone has to think of a play and then it goes through DD for approval and then to the Quarterback du jour. If RF were to be fired, the offense would not change AT ALL.

But at least we would see the play fail faster. wink.gif

i wasn't expecting DD to be fired this week.  i have been disappointed though that RF hasn't been fired.  it's like nobody has to answer around here..... they keep saying well the o-line sucks.  ok well fire the offensive line coach.  do something...  as fans we need to see that something is being done!  that "something" though is not starting Meager at qb

Yes... But, if you stop donating to a program that is set up this way, the fellow alumns and fans will stone you. So, dont stop the support!!!

First the O-Line coach has to go no question his butt should be fired after his poor performance since being here. As the talent coached by Kitchens has left the line has gotten progressively worse to the puddle we see today. I say bring in Brewster to finish the season. He anchored some great lines and was a helluva leader in there not to mention he should easily fit in our budget. If nothing else we could get a jump start on next season.

Next after we switch O-Line coaches if the offense doesn't start up before the end of the season, fire RF or demote him to diet coke boy.

Last give DD 1 more season. Programs go in cycles, but the cycle shouldn't take more than 2 years. Year 3 should be a great year with lots of experienced players, more upper classmen starting then FR and SM. If the team doesn't turn around by the end of next season, show him the door.

The only high point I see this season is our defense. Yes the run D is a little weak but I can see where that starts and its in the D-Line. If our offense could hold the ball more than 15 mins a game you would see the PA catagory alot lower. You can see the potential in this defense to get back to our top 30 standings from the past but they can't be on the field 3/4 of the game.

"I think there's no question that's a strong possibility," UNT coach Darrell Dickey said Tuesday. "He was our initial starter. He was the guy in two-a-days we felt could give us the best chance."

"We're looking at trying lots of things," Dickey said.

"Roy brings us some playmaking ability there," Darryl Dickey said. "If Roy can pick a few more things up, he gives us a little more speed and acceleration."

You have to be kidding! Our football program is completely out of control. If DD thought Phillips was the guy that could give us the "best chance" where was he these last three games? Did he even play? And if this was the case then why was Meager in there at all? Completely ridiculous. I have nothing against Phillips or Meager, but this QB carousel has to stop.

I say you stick with Wilson until he is physically unable to perform. End of discussion. Take the reigns off, put him in the shotgun every play and let him free lance if that's what it needs to be. If Meager adds an on field dimension that DD thinks he does then get him out there as another receiver and use his knowledge of pass routes and speed.

Exactly what is it coach? Are we simplifying things and minimizing our playbook so we don't confuse ourselves or are we "trying lots of things?" Make up your mind.

Finally, we wouldn't need the "acceleration" if we didn't give the opposing receivers a 5 to 10 yard cushion.

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Keith

You have to be kidding!  Our football program is completely out of control.  If DD thought Phillips was the guy that could give us the "best chance" where was he these last three games?  Did he even play?  And if this was the case then why was Meager in there at all?  Completely ridiculous.  I have nothing against Phillips or Meager, but this QB carousel has to stop. 

I say you stick with Wilson until he is physically unable to perform.  End of discussion.  Take the reigns off, put him in the shotgun every play and let him free lance if that's what it needs to be.  If Meager adds an on field dimension that DD thinks he does then get him out there as another receiver and use his knowledge of pass routes and speed. 

Exactly what is it coach?  Are we simplifying things and minimizing our playbook so we don't confuse ourselves or are we "trying lots of things?"  Make up your mind. 

Finally, we wouldn't need the "acceleration" if we didn't give the opposing receivers a 5 to 10 yard cushion. 

mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif

Keith

Great post.

Woody Wilson is by no means Vince Young BUT he is a Vince Young type quarterback. Young was only able to excel in UT's system when Mack Brown stopped trying to run VY through the offense but instead started running the offense through VY. Maybe that is what needs to happen at North Texas. We keep doing the same thing expecting different results. We have to adjust to the guys that we have.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I'm not taking up for the offensive line coach because I do believe that he is part of the problem but I will, at least to some extent, take up for the linemen. I have reviewed much of the Texas game which is the only thing that I have on Tivo, and found the following:

1. A number of times every lineman moved their man or, at the least, did not allow the defensive linemen to get penetration. The problem was that with a one back formation all siz blockers were only to block effectively only to have the runner stopped by the seventh defensive person, a linebacker, after the gain of a yard.

2. Either some of the plays were designed to fail or the same linemen repeatedly missed their assignment because on at least two occasions the defensive end came in untouched and made the tackle for a loss. Yet, every blocker had a man with the only double-teaming at the point of attack which seems reasonable to me.

3. At least three should have graded pretty high for that game as far as the person that they were blocking not being involved in the play. But, even Lineberry had a miss or two.

4. Often the missed block or failure to hold were the fault of one starting lineman. There was also a substitute that made an error or two.

5. I still do not understand why Banks and Drake do not get more playing time. They are a major part of the immediate future of the offensive line since Foster and Lineberry are seniors. We are going to have inexperienced linemen next year as well.

I think I can answer #5. There is a major sense of urgency to produce wins now. After last week I suspect they are not worried about next year or even the future. They want the players that they think can get them wins right now.

FIU has one of the most athletic defensive lines in the SBC. And after FIU it doesn't get any easier.