Next Coach ?

NT03

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay Hopson, D coordinator at Souther Miss and Jay Johnson O coordinator at Southern Miss may get some consideration.

Also some other names out there: David Bailiff at Texas State.

Sean McDonnell of U. of New Hampshire

Chip Kelly, O coordinator at UNH(His offense has averaged around 400 yards PER GAME at the 1-AA level since 1999. Think we could sell some tickets to that?).

Bobby Howk, HC at Montana

Rob Phenicie, OC at Montana. Played for U. of Memphis and grad assisted there. Also coached at UNLV and Wyoming.

Rick

Jay Hopson, D coordinator at Souther Miss and Jay Johnson O coordinator at Southern Miss may get some consideration.

Also some other names out there:  David Bailiff at Texas State.

Sean McDonnell of U. of New Hampshire

Chip Kelly, O coordinator at UNH(His offense has averaged around 400 yards PER GAME at the 1-AA level since 1999.  Think we could sell some tickets to that?).

Bobby Howk, HC at Montana

Rob Phenicie, OC at Montana. Played for U. of Memphis and grad assisted there.  Also coached at UNLV and Wyoming.

Rick

I'd offer big bucks and get Major Applewhite. I'm already seeing movement at Rick and he will be a great recruiter. The problem is that I don't think he would accept any head coaching spot right now. Still, I'd grab him and do what I had to keep him until the UT job comes open.

Please, please, please don't hire any buddies or cronies! wink.gif Didn't we just experience something similar as that with one of Craig Helwig's buddies?

Do we not learn from our history at UNT or do we just want to keep repeating it? Our record of head football coaches hiring is also toward the bottom of NCAA D1-A if anyone would dare look at the list of names (some who were some real characters) who have come and gone thru Denton post-Fry era. Its an abysmal record of hiring with some bright moments but not near enough for all the years we are talking about here.

BUT..............Bob Davie is an interesting new name and I, for one, am glad he was listed. He is presently an ESPN TV analyst, but he has that TAMU background with Texas HS football recruiting ties and hellsbells.............he was the freakin' head football coach at Notre Dame folks! blink.gif NOTE: An over-enthusiastic Notre Dame alum got caught in paying some Irish players during the Davie years but I don't think Coach Davie was tied to that any more than the late Jim Wacker was for a similar activity at TCU back in the 1980's.

Yet isn't a Davie hire (or one who has a similar Texas background) the kind of hire we need at a Texas-based university? AGAIN...........Please, please, please don't hire buddies or country cousins who wouldn't know how to pronounce the Texas town called Refugio or wouldnt' know what part of Texas Tenaha, Timpson, Bobo and Blair are located. unsure.gif Of course, a Texas Almanac can always come in handy even for a damn-yankee. rolleyes.gif

We can't do another 9 years toward the bottom of NCAA D1-A can we?

I hope those 2 key UNT Board of Regents who monitor this board will read this entire thread. We cannot screw up this next hire, folks, when we have just as much right to emulate what a UTEP and an Idaho did with their own high profile hires. sad.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I know a few of these names (Dr. Phil.... I love this board), but not many. I am new to college sports. Someone please educate me on the choices. I won't vote either way since I can't make an educated decision, but I'd like learn about these folks. Thanks!

Let's put two more potential names in the hat. John L. Smith at Michigan State and Dennis Franchione from A&M. Smith was great at Louisville and never should have left. Fran was great at TCU, good at Bama, but for some reason has struggled at A&M.

Also, please don't mention any coaches from SoMiss. Their offense is basically what we see at Fouts right now - not very good. Also, I don't want a defensive coach as Head Coach. I would prefer to have a gambler or even a mad scientist (like Leach) right now. If we want a breath of fresh air then let's really get a breath of fresh air and think different.

I've heard a lot of mention about Todd Dodge. Coach Dodge was great when he was here before coaching WR's and DBs. His style is obviously wide open and should attract a passing QB and some decent WRs. Even though he's a high school coach he does have college experience as both a player and assistant. He probably wouldn't have to move, would get more money, could keep his very profitable football camp going and maybe get to coach his son in two years. Probably not a bad fit.

My only question is this, how is he viewed by other high school coaches in the area? There is potential jealously factor for all the things that Southlake provides that others can't get. Not to mention the scores by which he beats some teams by which may be viewed as running up the score. I know it seems kind of petty to look at this, but I wouldn't bring it up if I had not heard this mentioned before. Remember, he's going to have to go into these High Schools to recruit.

BTW, why would considering RC Slocum be any different than the offense we see out there now? 3 yds and a cloud of dust. Please, No Slocum!!

Edited by GMoney

user posted image

Rob Spence - Clemson Tigers Offensive Coordinator - 2nd ranked offense in the ACC last season. Currently, offense is ranked 11th overall in the NCAA and 2nd in scoring at 43.4ppg.

user posted image

Calvin Magee - West Virginia Mountaineers Offensive Coordinator

Been OC since 2004. No secrect as to how explosive WVU's offense is. They are ranked 8th in the NCAA in offensive yards per game.

user posted image

Paul Petrino - Louisville Cardinals Offensive Coordinator.

Cardinals OC since '03. Currently ranked 1st in PPG and 2nd in total offensive yards per game.

Yes, I'm biased towards an offensive minded coach!!

biggrin.gif

I WOULD LOVE to have Magee.. He would personally be my #1 choice behind Dodge. I put Dodge ahead based soley on the immediate impact he could have on recruiting.

Paul Petrino- I considered him , but I honestly cant see him leaving. I think if he waits his time a bigger,better job that UNT will arise.

I tried just to put some names up that people would recognize. But if UNT goes the College Route Magee would be my ideal Offensive Head Coach and DeLoach Head Deffensive Coach.

For a school like ours we need a coach to use us. Someone who wants to win so that they can move to a bigger program, then me can get a coach who looks to move us up.

You may be right about this. I fear the guys I listed above may be little out of our price range. sad.gifsad.gifmad.gif

I'm just throwing some more big names out there:

Jimmy Johnson

Terry Bowden

Barry Switzer

Spike Dykes

Why would any of these guys come to UNT?  They wouldn't...we'll get stuck with some other no name guy that can't coach his way out of a paper sack.

Speaking of paper sack, I will be at the game with mine on.

wink.gif

I'm just throwing some more big names out there:

Jimmy Johnson

Terry Bowden

Barry Switzer

Spike Dykes

Why would any of these guys come to UNT?  They wouldn't...we'll get stuck with some other no name guy that can't coach his way out of a paper sack.

How about Spike's son who is a off. coach at Texas Tech ? All of the coaches at Southern Miss. should be available and looking for a job.

Let's put two more potential names in the hat.  John L. Smith at Michigan State and Dennis Franchione from A&M.  Smith was great at Louisville and never should have left.  Fran was great at TCU, good at Bama, but for some reason has struggled at A&M.

I think Fran got lucky at Bama and TCU. He had a few stud players who made him look good, but he's always looking for a way to improve his situation. I don't think he would consider NT a situation improvement when he gets ousted from TAMU this year.

I don't have a problem getting a defensive guy as HC. DD is supposedly an offensive guy, and the only thing I've noticed about his offense is that it is offensive. For the last nine years, this "offensive-minded" coach hasn't really done it for our program, so if we're really looking for a complete change, we should go with a defense guy.

None of the above should have been an option. I'm not sure who the right person is. Dodge isn't leaving SLC until his son graduates, so he's out. Please say no to Fran. His reputation has taken a big hit the last few years. Gary Barnett is an idiot and R.C. Slocum got run out of Collie Station because his offense was boring.

Bailiff @ TX St. San Marcos is an interesting option, but he's an alum of SWT and may not want to move.

The head coach at West TX A&M is interesting. He runs a high powered offense and has been successful immediately.

I want a coach that is:

1. Enthusiastic, a motivator and energetic.

2. Has a relationship with the HS coaches in TX.

3. Will sell the program to the community.

4. Runs an entertaining offense.

Chambers and Applewhite would be at the top of my list.

Ed "Straight Arrow" Generro

Wally Rig

Jimmy McGinty

Tony D'Amato

Coach Klein

Let's be real guys and gals. IF we get a new coach, it will be a coordinator from another mid-major school that wants to make a name. It won't be a rising star because they will hold out for a BCS job.

Edited by Eagle-96

Let's be real guys and gals. IF we get a new coach, it will be a coordinator from another mid-major school that wants to make a name. It won't be a rising star because they will hold out for a BCS job.

Come I am sure that is exactly how Idaho felt when they landed Dennis Erickson, NMSU with Hal Mumme, UTEP with Mike Price, or Ohio with Frank Solich.

No wonder we're where we are at, with this level of thinking and expectation. mad.gif

I sure hope you were being sarcastic.

Come I am sure that is exactly how Idaho felt when they landed Dennis Erickson, NMSU with Hal Mumme, UTEP with Mike Price, or Ohio with Frank Solich.

No wonder we're where we are at, with this level of thinking and expectation.  mad.gif

I sure hope you were being sarcastic.

Hal Mumme - previously fired for recruiting violations

Mike Price - fired before he ever coached at Bama

Frank Solich - DWI after he got to Ohio.

Yeah, those are some guys we want associated with UNT.