DMN Bomar's dad contacts NT about sons future

OldTimer

Dont be pointing your fingers at people who have made a mistake.......when you do that you point four fingers back at you....

Bomar would be a good fit, period.

So what if he made a youthful mistake.....

I am really not so sure if any of you could have not said NO to that situation.

Let the kid play here......not unless you finger pointing "hypocrits" (i really say that in all love) can say that you have not screwed up at some point in your life when you were going to school...... If you can say that you never screwed up while you were going to school....then it is ok with me if you judge someone else.

BRING BOMAR AND HIS ROOMMATE INTO UNT.......

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have conflicting feelings on this. I don't like the message that it sends to our other three young QB's, WW, DM and Phillips. They do what is asked of them, work hard on the field and in the weight room, work hard in school and keep their noses clean. All that would be thrown out the door when out of no where we bring in a national talent like Bomar who broke the rules even though he knew better not to and told that he now gets a chance to take their job.

However, I'm also on the side that everyone deserves another chance. And if we have learned anything from the Buick it's that he too feels that everyone, especailly his kids, deserve a second chance. Which leads me to believe if everything works out transfer rule wise RB will get an invite to come.

It would be hard as a program to turn him down. There will be some negative backlash over it by the public. But hey, at least it would be some news. And at this point we need to make as much news as we can as long as we don't allow what happened at OU to happen here.

I question what this would do to our offensive philosophy? We would have to change to fit his style of play rather than continue the run first, second, third,..............40th, 41st, 42nd to then set up the pass.

It's interesting to say the least that NT is being considered as I don't think his dad would make an impulse decision such as this without giving it proper thought? It speaks volumes about the respect coach Evans and DD has earned in the college ranks for our program to be considered.

Rick

If OU releases him from his scholarship, does he still have to sit out a year if he ends up at NT or another D1A school?

What the hell, offer him preferred walkon status. laugh.gif

Even under the most ideal of circumstances (OU releases him from his ship, AND the NCAA doesn't impose any sanctions) and he wants to come here,... he sits for a year. He won't be able to play until 07.

Again, this is under ideal circumstances.

If he agrees to pay back the money, the NCAA will probably let him off with a stern talking too.

Here's my theory: he is looking for the best school possible that will take him, without offending OU (that way they will release him). OU hasn't said whether they will release him or not, as they want to see where he wants to go; to keep him out of the Big 12. And this way Bomar doesn't have to go to the ranks of II-A.

Oh, and think about how much pub our 2007 season opener would get: Bomar returns to Norman

Even under the most ideal of circumstances (OU releases him from his ship, AND the NCAA doesn't impose any sanctions) and he wants to come here,... he sits for a year. He won't be able to play until 07.

And even if he sits out for a year, he would still have 2 years left of eligibility.

I have conflicting feelings on this. I don't like the message that it sends to our other three young QB's, WW, DM and Phillips. They do what is asked of them, work hard on the field and in the weight room, work hard in school and keep their noses clean. All that would be thrown out the door when out of no where we bring in a national talent like Bomar who broke the rules even though he knew better not to and told that he now gets a chance to take their job.

Well, they will probably have some of those feelings if we (I don't know how) were able to recruit a Qb stud in the off-season.

Edited by good_ken

I'd love to see Bomar here. Not only for what he can do on the field but for the exposure it could give the program. (Just look what Randy Moss did at Marshall after he left Notre Dame and Fla. State)

I'm not too worried about the feelings of the existing QB's, they're big boys and know a football team is a total meritocracy. The best players play...period. It doesnt matter how hard you work, how long you're in the program. If a player is more talented than you, he should be the one starting. That's the way it is (wheather it SHOULD be that way is another argument).

Only problem is that OU could but the kabosh on this whole thing if they don't want to give a release for a team that's on their future schedule (we open at OU in 2007). However since Bomar wouldn't be eligible until 07, and the NCAA might have some addtional suspension games tacked on to that, he might not even be eligible for the 2007 opener.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Again, this is under ideal circumstances.

I'm afraid that we don't have ideal circumstances. As I understand it, Oklahoma and/or the Big XII has/have a rule that you can't release a person who would appear on next year's schedule. Since we play Oklahoma in '07, I believe that the earliest that he could appear would be '08. Would he be willing to wait that long?

the punishment of paying money back, publicity of leaving one of the top 10 programs in the nation and losing a year of playing opportunity is really a pretty fair punishment. Life will never be the same for him. If he wants to come, give him the chance. My brother in law already called and said he is ready to go a NT game with me.

I want everybody to shut up about this violation. Everybody on this board would take that money as an 18 year old freshman. It is not like he stole computers, shaved points, or waved a loaded gun at a crowd. and as for getting caught drunk and being a minor, COME ON, can you say almost every college kid in America. I say bring both the kids here.

I'm afraid that we don't have ideal circumstances.  As I understand it, Oklahoma and/or the Big XII has/have a rule that you can't release a person who would appear on next year's schedule.  Since we play Oklahoma in '07, I believe that the earliest that he could appear would be '08.  Would he be willing to wait that long?

Buy the game out! ph34r.gif .........Just Kiddin' rolleyes.gif ..........Just Kiddin' rolleyes.gif

Only problem is that OU could but the kabosh on this whole thing if they don't want to give a release for a team that's on their future schedule (we open at OU in 2007).

Are you kidding? Stoops would love nothing better than to see Rhett come back with his tail between his legs, and so would everyone in Norman, I'd bet. That game would sell out in 10 minutes. laugh.gif

I usually lay low on this board and enjoy the info, however............a birdie near to the situation in Oklahoma tells me there is NO way OU will release Bomar to play for anyone that has a chance to bite OU in the rear later down the road. OU would also like Bomar out of a 500 mile radius of Norman if possible to end any media hype.etc.... TCU, SMU and UNT were the leading candidates for the Bomar family so he could stay close to home. SMU won't touch him with a 10 foot pole (death penality hangover) and now we know #1 choice TCU doesn't want the headache. So that leaves UNT...

So I have a bad feeling OU will NEVER let Bomar play in Denton if they can help it.

I hope D.D. can pull this off, man Bomar would look great in Green!!!!!!!!!!

The birdie also tells me Houston is in the running and the darkhorse could be Iowa.

If he isn't released from his scholarship - I believe there is still a way to get him here.

Can't he simply pay his own way for the first year. I can remember when Jason Miller wanted off of the Mean Green Hoops team a few years ago. We wouldn't release him from his ship. He paid his own way for 1 year and then I believe he got a scholarship.

Something similar may have happened with Deginald Erskin.

I usually lay low on this board and enjoy the info, however............a birdie near to the situation in Oklahoma tells me there is NO way OU will release Bomar to play for anyone that has a chance to bite OU in the rear later down the road.  OU would also like Bomar out of a 500 mile radius of Norman if possible to end any media hype.etc....    TCU, SMU and UNT were the leading candidates for the Bomar family so he could stay close to home.  SMU won't touch him with a 10 foot pole (death penality hangover) and now we know #1 choice TCU doesn't want the headache.  So that leaves UNT...

So I have a bad feeling OU will NEVER let Bomar play in Denton if they can help it.

I hope D.D. can pull this off, man Bomar would look great in Green!!!!!!!!!!

The birdie also tells me Houston is in the running and the darkhorse could be Iowa.

Doesn't OU only control him only for this season if they won't release him and he wants to transfer? Then he would be free to go on his own after this year but would have to sit another year for the transfer, but anywhere he wants? How about the rumor he would skip college football all together and try minor league baseball for one year before being eligible for the NFL draft?

Guest UNTMike81*

Well, I hope DD and staff pulls this one off!!! He knows Stoops pretty well, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'd hate to be a "DD hater", in this situation you'd have to put your faith and trust into a coach that you don't like, or respect enough to believe that he can get this done. If you're an NT fan though you really have to want this to happen. This would be great for our program. Go DD!!!

Go Mean Green!!!

For those of you asking what message that sends to out other QB's and plalyers. IT shows them that we want to win. And for those asking what to do with out 3 soph. QB's if we got Bomar. You leave Meager as the back-up, you red-shirt Phillips, and you move W.W. another position.

But in the end I don't think any of this is going to matter, as my money is UH to get him.

UAB ovresigned on recruits, now MTSU has this three star that will be on the team this Fall. From the SBC message board:

"...Offensive lineman Jamaal Lewis (6-foot-4, 280 pounds) has inked scholarship papers with MTSU after originally signing with University of Alabama-Birmingham on National Signing Day in February.

Lewis practiced in shorts with the Blue Raiders Tuesday, as he must complete a five-day NCAA-mandated acclimation period. He has already been certified by the NCAA Clearinghouse and will be admitted to MTSU pending acceptance of his final transcript.

"He's a real good player, and we recruited him at South Carolina," Stockstill said. "When we got (to MTSU), he hadn't qualified, so we didn't continue to recruit him. Then he got qualified right before signing day and signed with UAB. ... Well, UAB oversigned and couldn't take him, so they called us to see if we were interested and we were."

Lewis, who won't turn 18 until late in MTSU's season, was a standout at Butler High in Huntsville, Ala. He was named to The Huntsville Times Super All-Metro team the past two seasons and tabbed honorable mention as a sophomore. He was also named to Huntsville's All-City squad three straight years and All-Region twice..."

What the NCAA should do is pull a scholly or two from UAB for next year for oversigning this year. Either way, MTSU benefits and the player doesn't have to sit out a year.

First of all, it doesn’t matter if he pays tuition here, his father pays or Big Red Sports/Imports pay s- the NCAA says an athlete can not transfer to another school at or above the level he is currently enrolled at (this case 1A) without sitting out one year of eligibility. They might count the 2006 season as the missed year, but historically, it is the year AFTER you transfer. So that could make it 2008 without any further punishment.

The NCAA has not said how long he will be suspended from playing at ANY NCAA institution. Any NCAA institution (that’s 1A, 1AA, Div. 2 or Div. 3) than takes him will have to apply to have him reinstated. The NCAA could easily choose to make an example of him and give him a year or two beyond the normal transfer year. In other words, his career at NCAA schools could be over. No one knows that yet. His legal case against this would be hampered as NAIA schools are still open to him.

As for “if you pay back the money they won’t punish you” theory. First, I doubt either he or his high school coach Dad have $18K just laying around. In the past, giving back a car has not been enough to get out of trouble with the NCAA. The idea is you aren’t suppose to take it in the first place.

I’ll agree that the under age drinking is not as big a deal. Although it is now MUCH more significant that back in the 70s when I was in school - just as driving drunk used to be minor but now is much more serious. Still, I wouldn’t exclude someone for a one time MIP. Opps, Bomar’s got two MIPs that we know about!

I think the TCU coach might be right - the negatives probably out weigh the positives of taking him.

Edited by VideoEagle

No self respecting program would touch him.... I don't even want to win that much.. he is no kid, he knows better, and thinks rules are made for other people just as that wonderful Ohio State (Maurice Clarette) did a few years ago.

We see where that fine citizen is today....arrested again today... what a man!!!!