Dunham's verbal attack

Seriously?

When George said you're starring in your own movie ... do you think he might have been on to something?

George is the biggest North Texas fan you'll find (and we all know it). He's also one of the nicest people you'll meet. My guess is, you WERE being a knucklehead, he called you out AND your feelings are hurt. Dude, face it, you got jubinated.

wink.gif

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like this group of fans has been pretty "boisterous" all season....and was behaving the same way the day of the RF incident as well.  Granted, I don't know who your group is specifically, but that general area in the stands has been pretty noticeable this season....noticeably behaving badly.

Not sure what your referencing there. No one in or around the area where the RF incident happened was behaving badly, AT ALL. Please get your reference facts straight.

Rick

I wasn't going to do anything concerning the attack by Dunham. He looked really foolish and displayed a side of him few people are aware of. Besides I clapped and gave him a standing ovation for starring in his "own" movie.

But my wife believed I needed to call and talk to RV. She didn't feel like any supporter, season ticket holder or not, deserved to be treated the way Dunham treated me. I am so glad I did.

The first thing Monday morning I called the office of Rick Villarreal. Connie answered the phone. "Hello Connie, this is Bob Furay, is Rick available?" "No, Rick is in a meeting on campus. I can have him call you when he gets back." "Yes, would you please have Rick give me a call. It's about an incident that happened on the field at Fout's after the game concerning George Dunham." "I'll give him your message Bob." "Thanks Connie." I hung up.

Rick returned my call later that morning. "Hello, is Bob Furay there?" "This is he" Hey Rick there was an incident...Rick interrupted my sentence..."I already know about it. I just got back from meeting with four witnesses and they all confirmed that you started it." "Thats not true Rick," I said. Immediately and in a stern tone RV said, "Bob, Bob, I have already talked to these people seperately and they all said the same thing that you started it and that you were cussing."

Oh my gosh man, Rick is not even interested in what I have to say. I honestly thought RV was going to hang up on me. "Rick, please let me tell you what happened.' I pleaded. I am really worrid at this point.

"Rick, I never cussed, in fact I never heard any one cuss." Look Bob, my wife was sitting in my box, you know were my box is Bob, and she said there was cussing coming from your section. She was offended, Bob." "Rick, I NEVER CUSSED, I DIDN'T HEAR ANY CUSSING!" I saw Adler and some guys banging on the mettle seats to my right but they never cussed.'' "I listened to a replay of the tape Bob and there is cussing." "Rick, there was a young couple with two small boys sitting directly in front of me. We brought three young people and one fifth grader with us. No one cussed!"

"Here's what I said Rick," and then I recited the things I yelled that day.(see top post). "Can you not say those things Rick?" "Oh no no, you can say that," Rick replied. "In fact I don't care if you call Darrell Dickey a baldheaded"....at this point my mind went to, man thats worse than anything I said...and I do not know what Rick said after baldheaded.

"Can you not yell loud Rick?" "Oh no you can yell loud," Rick said. " But Rick, I yelled real loud." "Thats ok, we just want to keep it clean. We want it to be an environment where family and kids can come." "Rick", I said, " I know that, thats why I yelled upward so I didn't startle and scare the young boys or the older people sitting around us. Rick, no one complained and no one left the game early.

Rick conceded that maybe he didn't have all the facts. I told him that Bill Kelly saw and heard everything. "Have Bill give me a call." Rick said. Rick then told me he would get back with me. Twice before hanging up he said he would get back with me. I have e-mailed him two times since Monday morning but he has never retuned the e-mails or called me back.

To those of you reading this post. I never cussed. RV knows this and so does George Dunham.

No one should ever be treated like Dunham treated me that day and then to lie about it is even worse.

Harry, my name is Bob Furay.

Not sure what your referencing there.  No one in or around the area where the RF incident happened was behaving badly, AT ALL.  Please get your reference facts straight.

Rick

Re-read my post. Never said the group "Around the area where the RF incident happened." I said that THIS group (up high in section E--as STH described) was behaving badly that night.

I never saw the RF incident and don't know where exactly it happened. What I do know is that group of fans right under the pressbox spent the 2nd quarter shouting at the pressbox....same as this guy admits to doing during the Ark St. game.

Seriously?

When George said you're starring in your own movie ... do you think he might have been on to something?

George is the biggest North Texas fan you'll find (and we all know it). He's also one of the nicest people you'll meet. My guess is, you WERE being a knucklehead, he called you out AND your feelings are hurt. Dude, face it, you got jubinated.

wink.gif

Seems if we should be following Harry suggestion, and your basically telling STH he lied you should use your real name also. Here’s your chance.

Respectfully,

Knox Johnson

What I do know is that group of fans right under the pressbox spent the 2nd quarter shouting at the pressbox....same as this guy admits to doing during the Ark St. game.

I was sitting in the upper part of section D during the game, but moved to the deck during the late 3rd and 4th quarter. There was a fan with headphones on that would turn a "talk" loudly towards the pressbox after failed plays, etc... I never heard him cuss, don't know if it was Season Ticket Holder and don't know who his comments were directed towards.

This seems out of character for George Dunham, but the way this season has played out, who knows?

Dang, I don't hear anyone complaining about the"old nester" alumni side being docile this year.

Actually I sit maybe 10 feet from Bob and frankly I don't particularly care for his ranting. I was not there for the George incident, but did hear his comments loud and clear for the entire ballgame. At no time was there any profanity and what he was saying was no different from a lot of other fans, it just happened to be a lot louder. I wonder who RV's witnesses were citing cussing, cause it didn't take place.

Re-read my post.  Never said the group "Around the area where the RF incident happened."  I said that THIS group (up high in section E--as STH described) was behaving badly that night. 

I never saw the RF incident and don't know where exactly it happened.  What I do know is that group of fans right under the pressbox spent the 2nd quarter shouting at the pressbox....same as this guy admits to doing during the Ark St. game.

Oh, ok. They were behaving badly (in that particular section) the same AS the day of the RF incident which was the ULL game. I see. I apologize.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I love the victim role being played out here. I sit just down the row from these knuckleheads. I can't remember if there was cussing or not but they were the most annoying overbearing people I have ever had the displeasure of being around.

I will admit I laughed out loud to your line of being really concerned while talking to RV. biggrin.gif

What's the difference in this verbal assault to RF's? So many called for RF to be fired. George Dunham should be fired also!!! Besides, both of their play calling have been bad for years now.

Just a joke!

The difference is no one has a personal stake in who was involved. You can debate specifics - but in many ways, that's pretty much it.

Incidents like this are embarrasing and everyone who played a role in it should be embarrassed about it. One thing that came through on the radio was George did not want to talk about this incident and seems to regret it occured.

I wish both sides would just make contact and try to go forward and help us put a final nail in the coffin of this abortion of a football season.

where is that smiley beating its head against a brick wall?

That is me.

when you find one, let me know....

guys, it has been a bad season, i agree.. but do we HAVE to attack each other? these posts reek of sarcasm. we all need to be supporting each other, and our boys... this past season hasn't been a picnic for them, either. chin up, guys... we still have next season and other games to worry about (SMU, among others)

i vote that we all leave this season in the past where it belongs. dry.gif

I listened to the game on my way to Oklahoma. All those in the vehicle with me kept complaining at hearing an individual in the stands. He was rather annoying and only inflicted unnecessary frustration. I don't understand how venting in such a way will truly help any situation like that.

Furthermore, I think it is funny how an individual can dish it out all game long criticizing coaches and players and then once someone of the program says something back they get all fussy.

I wasn't going to do anything concerning the attack by Dunham. He looked really foolish and displayed a side of him few people are aware of. Besides I clapped and gave him a standing ovation for starring in his "own" movie.

Rick returned my call later that morning. "Hello, is Bob Furay there?" "This is he" Hey Rick there was an incident...Rick interrupted my sentence..."I already know about it. I just got back from meeting with four witnesses and they all confirmed that you started it." "Thats not true Rick," I said. Immediately and in a stern tone RV said, "Bob, Bob, I have already talked to these people seperately and they all said the same thing that you started it and that you were cussing."

"Rick, I never cussed, in fact I never heard any one cuss." Look Bob, my wife was sitting in my box, you know were my box is Bob, and she said there was cussing coming from your section. She was offended, Bob."  "Rick, I NEVER CUSSED, I DIDN'T HEAR  ANY CUSSING!" I saw Adler and some guys banging on the mettle seats to my right but they never cussed.'' "I listened to a replay of the tape Bob and there is cussing."  "Rick, there was a young couple with two small boys sitting directly in front of me. We brought three young people and one fifth grader with us. No one cussed!"

"Can you not yell loud Rick?" "Oh no you can yell loud," Rick said. " But Rick, I yelled real loud." "Thats ok, we just want to keep it clean. We want it to be an environment where family and kids can come." "Rick", I said, " I know that, thats why I yelled upward so I didn't startle and scare the young boys or the older people sitting around us. Rick, no one complained and no one left the game early.

To those of you reading this post. I never cussed. RV knows this and so does George Dunham.

He looked really foolish? I wouldn't say that about someone without looking at yourself first. I sit with the "metal bleacher bangers" and was quite annoyed the whole second half of the game. It gets rather old when all you could hear is someone yelling when all you wanted to hear were the announcers. I also think a standing ovation for him blowing up at you qualifies for foolishness.

But outside of that, I understand that you were upset and rightfully so. But I understand why GD was upset. I think he had a right as well. It would have been better for none of it to happen in the first place. We need to back the team and the supporters and treat each other with respect. We are all in the same "MEAN GREEN NATION."

JUST MY POINTS (NOTHING MORE THAN MY OPINION) - there were people that left the game early or moved to completely different sections because of the yelling. I don't think it should have gone on as long as it did. And, there was alot of cussing from that area - but to I don't think it came from "Season Ticket Holder".

Anyone stop to think what might be the culprit here? Any of you see the movie "Major League?" Bob Uecker was the announcer for the Indians and was drunk most of the time, because the Indians were so bad he figured nobody was listening. The liquor could have been talking Saturday. dry.gifph34r.gif

Anyone stop to think what might be the culprit here?  Any of you see the movie "Major League?"  Bob Uecker was the announcer for the Indians and was drunk most of the time, because the Indians were so bad he figured nobody was listening.  The liquor could have been talking Saturday. dry.gif  ph34r.gif

I think the liquor is talking in that post. dry.gif

Seems if we should be following Harry suggestion, and your basically telling STH he lied you should use your real name also. Here’s your chance.

Respectfully,

Knox Johnson

Wow... is Knox Johnson really your name? Sounds like a name I'd give the huge angry hard hitting linebacker in a football movie.

Look at the behavior in general.

Who HASN’T been critical at some point in time of ANY team of ANY sport you are a fan? That frustration can get a little vocal too.

One minute we are totally frustrated at a player/coach/executive/owner for a bad play or move. The next minute, when that same player/coach/executive/owner makes a great play, we are singing praises ready to canonize him, retire his number, and erect a statue in front of the stadium as the greatest player/coach/executive/owner ever.

This happens for every player of every sport at every level from middle school to the professional ranks. To tell you the truth, we are not even the worst in the world when it comes to fan behavior. Examples: English Soccer Hooligans, a fan in South America (Brazil or Argentina I think) MURDERED a player for losing the World Cup because he accidentally knocked the ball into his own goal.

The press box at Fouts Field is real close to the seats and fans. I think George could have done a lot for himself by closing the window during the broadcast.

This isn’t much different then the coaches who got in an argument with a fan at halftime a few weeks ago. George and the coaches should have maintained their professionalism and write it off as “dumb fans.”

Which we are.

Every fan of every team of every sport.

All of you brown nosers of the program need to lay off. Big GD had a public forum in which to tell his side and now STH had decided to use this as his forum, which for the average fan is the best public forum. He has given his name(at the request of Harry), and in his eyes, an accurate dipiction of what happened. So why does everyone see the need to jump him? DO you really think you'll earn brownie points with the Athletic department or Dunham? If the situation occured as he said, then Dunham was in the wrong, though I can understand him being frustrated with the yelling during his broadcast. None of this should have led to a scream laced arguement though. My suggestion, everyone not involved with the situation (ie- participating party or direct observer) withhold comment from here on out and leave it be. Nothing of substance is being accomplished by any of you adding your .02.

Sincerely,

Long Duc Dong

Class of '01

All of you brown nosers of the program need to lay off.  Big GD had a public forum in which to tell his side and now STH had decided to use this as his forum, which for the average fan is the best public forum.  He has given his name(at the request of Harry), and in his eyes, an accurate dipiction of what happened.  So why does everyone see the need to jump him?  DO you really think you'll earn brownie points with the Athletic department or Dunham?  If the situation occured as he said, then Dunham was in the wrong, though I can understand him being frustrated with the yelling during his broadcast.  None of this should have led to a scream laced arguement though.  My suggestion, everyone not involved with the situation (ie- participating party or direct observer) withhold comment from here on out and leave it be.  Nothing of substance is being accomplished by any of you adding your .02.

Sincerely,

Long Duc Dong

Class of '01

This coming from a person who decided to put his .02 in. . .