DMN blurb: Meager to start at QB

OldTimer

UNT's Meager to get start at QB

12:49 AM CST on Friday, November 18, 2005

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – Redshirt freshman Daniel Meager will start at quarterback against Louisiana-Monroe on Saturday, coach Darrell Dickey said Thursday.

Meager was knocked out of last week's loss to Florida Atlantic with a concussion. The former Richardson Pearce standout has thrown for 764 yards and three touchdowns this season.

Dickey said Matt Phillips also could see time. The freshman came on in relief of Meager against FAU and threw for 138 yards and a touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Thanks Parcells for keeping your little boys ego in check, so are we even trying to see what we might have in other players?

We are 2-7 for crying out loud, place some back-ups so we know what we need to look for in the next recruiting season. This is why we are in this position this year b/c we did not give our back-ups playing time before the Seniors left. rolleyes.gif

Honestly, was this unexpected?  You don't lose your job to injury in "the rules"....and DD plays by those rules.

Give Meager a shot, but I bet we see Phillips at least one series in the first half.

Meager has had a shot all season and has bungled it up.

He really did not beat FIU or MTSU, did nothing in Tulsa, La Tech, Troy, FAU, KSU.

Had a decent game against LSU, wow we scored 3 pts.

What does DD have against Phillips, was he not watching the comeback last weekend??? huh.gif

I think this is a good call by DD.  This puts pressure on Daniel to perform.  If he doesn't and Phillips comes in and excels watch out!  The crowd will be singing, "oh Danny boy the pipes the pipes are calling.."

Has there not been pressure on DM to excel the first 9 games???

You would think that just the 4th Quarter alone last week would warrant Phillips a start, he scored 17 points when Meager could only muster 6 in 3 quarters, pretty much on par with the rest of the season outside of ULL.

Has there not been pressure on DM to excel the first 9 games???

You would think that just the 4th Quarter alone last week would warrant Phillips a start, he scored 17 points when Meager could only muster 6 in 3 quarters, pretty much on par with the rest of the season outside of ULL.

Dude, why are you breaking Daniel's bawls. How about how crappy the defense has been? DM won the game against ULL and the defense let him down. I want to see Philips like everyone but don't blame all our problems on DM. He's done some good things.

Dude, why are you breaking Daniel's bawls.  How about how crappy the defense has been?  DM won the game against ULL and the defense let him down.  I want to see Philips like everyone but don't blame all our problems on DM.  He's done some  good things.

How is it breaking balls when it's so FREAKING obvious to 90% of the fans!!!

Read my post closer, did I say he lost ULL?? NO THAT WAS THE EXCEPTION!!!!!

What has he done in any of the other 8 games to think the next 2 games will be different???

This apathy crap is killing me. What do you want the defense to do,give the offense 8 TO's, wait they did that against FIU and DM led them to what 13 points, 5 TO's against MTSU and he only got 7 pts. The offense constantly left the Defense out to dry on a short-field. Yes the defense has been torched but how many of the opponents drives started near the 50 yd line?

So tell me what has DM done in the other 8 games that actually warrants him the chance to the start the last 2 games?? What will it hurt allowing MP to play, this season is already a waste, except we get to see PC try and break a few rushing records.

Guest JohnDenver

He's done some  good things.

I argue that Cobbs won the ULALA game. The defense didn't pull it out though.

You can't honestly say Meager has done GOOD things. You can says that he hasn't messed things up sometimes ... (i.e. no interceptions in some games). Point out a game that he has done good things. Maybe I really am being too cynical. I am being serious. I only see few TD, low yards and few points scored.

I think this is a good call by DD.  This puts pressure on Daniel to perform.  If he doesn't and Phillips comes in and excels watch out!  The crowd will be singing, "oh Danny boy the pipes the pipes are calling.."

What crowd will that be???? ph34r.gif

this is basically DD's entire coaching philosophy summed up: if it doesn't work keep trying until you have lost all your games. Wow, its third and long and we can't run the football, lets run a draw play! Wow, we have a qb who can't hit the broad side of a barn, lets keep playing him.

what really makes me sick is UTEP (8-1 i think) is ranked #24. That could easliy be us this season if we had a little more experiance and a coach who cared. (LSU beat appl state 24-0, kstate barely beat marshall and FIU gave them a pretty decent game)

I don't understand this decision. There are two games left in the season and we've seen Meager play is fair share of downs. More importantly we've seen what Meager can and can't do. At this point, Phillips needs to see more of the field so we can compare him to Meager heading into the spring. There is no confrence championship or winning streak on the line anymore. I say you play Phillips to see how reacts to the game time situations. I would also like to see how Meager would react to seeing less of the field (i.e. his leadership).

so on friday, I go into my favorite barbershop (the one where head coach gets his cut) and they tell me that the coaches have been in this week and they are saying that Phillips still looks "scared" when he is out there on the field and that in practice he just hasn't shown that he has grasped the offense yet......

and we try to think what the head coach is thinking....