HURRICANE RITA-TARGETS TEXAS

UNT_playmaker

the possibility of this storm hitting denton is very strong and we could see higher gas prices-shortages especially with the houston refineries and the off shore drilling affected. also i went to home depot on tues evening and saw plywood jump to $15 a piece regular price $8-9. and the strange thing was that people who were buying them were talkin about the storm.

also look at these current hurricane projectiles, they all have denton in the pathway of this much talked about storm. http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/stormspotli...r=2005&storm=18

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm1...m=wxcenter_maps

freaky huh, this time around this storm is expected to produce the same kind of destruction we saw in new orleans, nothing like the fizzled hurricane ivan alerts that were posted last year. this storm will strike the texas coast with a punch and ride I-45 north all the way to the DFW area and show its self as a weakened hurricane

the tulsa hurricanes made there mark at fouts field last week, lets hope that this hurricane will finally make its mark on top of fouts field this week.

more updates as they come available...

lets hope that this hurricane will finally make its mark on top of fouts field this week.

Very Doubtful. It won't be a hurricane anymore by the time it reaches Denton...just a bad storm. To be a Category 1 hurricane winds are greater than 74 mph. What can be expected in a Cat 1? NOAA sites "No real damage to building structures. Damage primarily to unanchored mobile homes, shrubbery, and trees. Some damage to poorly constructed signs. Also, some coastal road flooding and minor pier damage"

But look at your own hurricane projection from NOAA by the time the remains of Rita reach Denton winds will be less than 39 mph. Not enough to do any damage to a concrete structure like Fouts.

We may see some pretty nasty wind and rain but nothing like the coast. Although you may have to worry about the storm spawning some tornados...That's a strong possibility.

Very Doubtful.  It won't be a hurricane anymore by the time it reaches Denton...just a bad storm.    To be a Category 1 hurricane winds are greater than 74 mph.    What can be expected in a Cat 1?  NOAA sites "No real damage to building structures. Damage primarily to unanchored mobile homes, shrubbery, and trees. Some damage to poorly constructed signs. Also, some coastal road flooding and minor pier damage"

But look at your own hurricane projection from NOAA  by the time the remains of Rita reach Denton winds will be less than 39 mph.  Not enough to do any damage to a concrete structure like Fouts. 

We may see some pretty nasty wind and rain but nothing like the coast.    Although you may have to worry about the storm spawning some tornados...That's a strong possibility.

I have plans to attend the Austin City Limits music festival this weekend. So I would have been heading out of Houston regardless. I do plan on holding a candle light vigil in front of my house before I leave. biggrin.gif

the possibility of this storm hitting denton is very strong and we could see higher gas prices-shortages especially with the houston refineries and the off shore drilling affected. also i went to home depot on tues evening and saw plywood jump to $15 a piece regular price $8-9. and the strange thing was that people who were buying them were talkin about the storm.

also look at these current hurricane projectiles, they all have denton in the pathway of this much talked about storm. http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/stormspotli...r=2005&storm=18

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm1...m=wxcenter_maps

freaky huh, this time around this storm is expected to produce the same kind of destruction we saw in new orleans, nothing like the fizzled hurricane ivan alerts that were posted last year. this storm will strike the texas coast with a punch and ride I-45 north all the way to the DFW area and show its self as a weakened hurricane

the tulsa hurricanes made there mark at fouts field last week, lets hope that this hurricane will finally make its mark on top of fouts field this week.

more updates as they come available...

Geeze, you'd be in a real panick if you lived 400 miles south on the coast cool.gif

For those that don't think there will be an impact on Nort Texas, read this...

(email from the Center of Emerency Management)

HURRICANE RITA IS EXPECTED TO MAKE LAND-FALL ALONG THE MIDDLE

TEXAS GULF COAST PRIOR TO SUNRISE ON SATURDAY. THE STORM...ALREADY

A MAJOR HURRICANE...IS EXPECTED TO INCREASE IN INTENSITY TO A

CATEGORY 5 STORM OVER THE GULF WATERS...WITH SOME DECREASE TO A CATEGORY

4 STORM JUST PRIOR TO LANDFALL EARLY SATURDAY.

THE LATEST TRACK FROM THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER WOULD BRING

THE DISSIPATING STORM NORTH TO NEAR WACO SATURDAY NIGHT AND THEN

INTO CENTRAL OKLAHOMA...EAST OF OKLAHOMA CITY...SUNDAY NIGHT.

SHOULD THE CURRENT TRACK OF THE HURRICANE VERIFY...THE FOLLOWING

EFFECTS WILL BE POSSIBLE...IF NOT LIKELY ACROSS NORTH TEXAS.

1. 40 TO 60 MPH SUSTAINED WINDS...WITH HIGHER GUSTS...SOUTH OF A

LINE FROM LAMPASAS...TO WACO AND CENTERVILLE. THESE ARE TROPICAL

STORM STRENGTH WINDS...AND EVEN SEVERE STORM WINDS ONCE YOU REACH

58 MPH. THUS...SOME LOCALIZED DAMAGE FROM WIND WOULD LIKELY OCCUR.

SMALL AND LIGHTWEIGHT OUTDOOR OBJECTS SHOULD BE SECURED. WINDS

SHOULD TAPER OFF TO 20 TO 40 MPH FURTHER NORTH ON SUNDAY...BUT

THIS WILL BE DEPENDANT UPON THE STRENGTH AND SPEED OF THE SYSTEM

ONCE IT MAKES LANDFALL.

2. HEAVY RAINFALL AND FLOODING. 3 TO 5 INCHES...WITH LOCALLY

HIGHER AMOUNTS WILL BE POSSIBLE MAINLY ALONG AND EAST OF THE I-35

CORRIDOR. MUCH OF EAST TEXAS...ESPECIALLY THE NORTHEAST...HAS BEEN

IN DROUGHT CONDITIONS FOR MOST OF THE SUMMER AND THIS RAIN WOULD BE

VERY BENEFICIAL. HOWEVER...DEPENDING UPON THE SPEED OF THE

SYSTEM...TOO MUCH RAIN MAY FALL IN TOO SHORT A TIME TO ALLOW SOILS

TO SOAK UP THE RAINFALL. THUS...SOME FLOODING MAY RESULT. A FLASH

FLOOD WATCH WILL LIKELY BE NEEDED FOR THIS WEEKEND.

3. A FEW TORNADOES.

4. INCREASED TRAFFIC ON INTER-STATES AS PEOPLE EVACUATE FROM THE

HURRICANE. WET ROADS...HEAVY RAINFALL AND INCREASED TRAFFIC COULD

LEAD TO DELAYS AND ACCIDENTS. ALLOW EXTRA TIME TO REACH YOUR

TRAVEL DESTINATIONS THIS WEEKEND.

5. SOME AIRLINE DELAYS WILL BE POSSIBLE. AGAIN...ALLOW EXTRA TIME

TO REACH YOUR DESTINATIONS THIS WEEKEND.

DISSIPATING HURRICANES HAVE MOVED ACROSS NORTH TEXAS MANY TIMES IN

THE PAST...TYPICALLY WITH SOME WIND DAMAGE AND FLOODING. RESIDENTS

AND THOSE PLANNING TRAVEL ACROSS NORTH TEXAS THIS WEEKEND SHOULD

BE PREPARED FOR THIS SYSTEM AND STAY TUNED TO THE LATEST WEATHER

INFORMATION AS WE MOVE CLOSER TO THE WEEKEND.

Don't get too worked up that is the same warning we get each spring for thunderstorms, yet with more rain and wind in the spring.

Keep in mind The State Fair of Texas starts next week the rain must be coming.

THE LATEST TRACK FROM THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER WOULD BRING

THE DISSIPATING STORM NORTH TO NEAR WACO SATURDAY NIGHT AND THEN

INTO CENTRAL OKLAHOMA...EAST OF OKLAHOMA CITY...SUNDAY NIGHT.

SHOULD THE CURRENT TRACK OF THE HURRICANE VERIFY...THE FOLLOWING

EFFECTS WILL BE POSSIBLE...IF NOT LIKELY ACROSS NORTH TEXAS.

1. 40 TO 60 MPH SUSTAINED WINDS...WITH HIGHER GUSTS...SOUTH OF A

LINE FROM LAMPASAS...TO WACO AND CENTERVILLE. THESE ARE TROPICAL

STORM STRENGTH WINDS...AND EVEN SEVERE STORM WINDS ONCE YOU REACH

58 MPH. THUS...SOME LOCALIZED DAMAGE FROM WIND WOULD LIKELY OCCUR.

SMALL AND LIGHTWEIGHT OUTDOOR OBJECTS SHOULD BE SECURED. WINDS

SHOULD TAPER OFF TO 20 TO 40 MPH FURTHER NORTH ON SUNDAY...BUT

THIS WILL BE DEPENDANT UPON THE STRENGTH AND SPEED OF THE SYSTEM

ONCE IT MAKES LANDFALL.

2. HEAVY RAINFALL AND FLOODING. 3 TO 5 INCHES...WITH LOCALLY

HIGHER AMOUNTS WILL BE POSSIBLE MAINLY ALONG AND EAST OF THE I-35

CORRIDOR. MUCH OF EAST TEXAS...ESPECIALLY THE NORTHEAST...HAS BEEN

IN DROUGHT CONDITIONS FOR MOST OF THE SUMMER AND THIS RAIN WOULD BE

VERY BENEFICIAL. HOWEVER...DEPENDING UPON THE SPEED OF THE

SYSTEM...TOO MUCH RAIN MAY FALL IN TOO SHORT A TIME TO ALLOW SOILS

TO SOAK UP THE RAINFALL. THUS...SOME FLOODING MAY RESULT. A FLASH

FLOOD WATCH WILL LIKELY BE NEEDED FOR THIS WEEKEND.

3. A FEW TORNADOES.

4. INCREASED TRAFFIC ON INTER-STATES AS PEOPLE EVACUATE FROM THE

HURRICANE. WET ROADS...HEAVY RAINFALL AND INCREASED TRAFFIC COULD

LEAD TO DELAYS AND ACCIDENTS. ALLOW EXTRA TIME TO REACH YOUR

TRAVEL DESTINATIONS THIS WEEKEND.

5. SOME AIRLINE DELAYS WILL BE POSSIBLE. AGAIN...ALLOW EXTRA TIME

TO REACH YOUR DESTINATIONS THIS WEEKEND.

If that is all you get from this storm, consider yourself fortunate. Living in south Alabama I have learned a lot about hurricanes over the past few years. Hurricane Dennis hit this area with 40-50 MPH winds ,and compared to Hurricane Ivan that was a cake walk!

I wouldn't worry about Denton. You guys get higher winds off the Oklahoma flatlands in March and April.

BTW, unless stan from Galveston has a better site for Rita's path, here is a very good site from the U.S. Navy.

http://www.nlmoc.navy.mil/home1.html

On the left side, click on Carribian. That will show you the forecast map. The Navy was right on for where Katrina made landfall.

Edited by DeepGreen

---If you are more than 100 miles from the coast then hurricanes are no real danger other than excessive amount of rain and as far as Dallas is.. it is unlikely that will be a problem.

---Gasoline prices are another issue.... if the storm goes over and shuts some more coastal refineries plus shuts down more drilling/production platforms, then prices will climb again due to the lack of supplies for a while.

The Hurricanes last Saturday was a bigger problem to North Texas.

Off of one of my weather mesageboards(I'm a weather junkie too).

The latest runs of two key computer models, the GFS and GFDL, now indicate that the trough of low pressure that was expected to pick up Rita and pull her rapidly northward through Texas will not be strong enough to do so. Instead, these models forecast that Rita will make landfall near Galveston, penetrate inland between 50 and 200 miles, then slowly drift southwestward for nearly two days, as a high pressure ridge will build in to her north. Finally, a second trough is forecast to lift Rita out of Texas on Tuesday. If this scenario develops, not only will the coast receive catastrophic damage from the storm surge, but interior Texas, including the Dallas/Fort Worth area, might see a deluge of 15 - 30 inches of rain. A huge portion of Texas would be a disaster area. We'll have to wait for the next set of model runs due out by tomorrow morning to know better.

I'm not worried about the DFW region outside of people who don't know to slow down when it rains.

I am worried about the coastline, though. It'll leave a good portion of the area a fullout disaster area- but it's like the meteorologists have said- it's been something expected for years now- storms to sweep in and do major damage to the coastline of the US. Too bad the politicians are too busy dealing with small issues to hit big picture things like emergency management.

There's a similar scenario forecasted for the west coast for a large earthquake to do catastrophic damage to California. This's been in study for about 20 years, too. Let's hope there's some planning taking place for this scenario.

I had a connecting flight in Houston yesterday morning. As I looked out the window at 8AM, the outbound lanes of every major highway looked like a parking lot...I still can't understand why the inbound lanes weren't reversed earlier. TSA notified me that only 60 employees of the 350-400 at IAH showed for work on Thursday. Likewise, many of the airport/airlines' employees were absent. I was told that only decaf coffee was available on my flight because the airline was too short-staffed to make both caffeinated and decaf that morning!! blink.gif

My return flight at 6PM also had a connection in Houston but, after hearing that the airport may close early on Thursday due to a lack of employees, I was able to change my return flight.

I also know a couple that had planned a weekend trip to Vegas to escape the storm. They live about 30 minutes from the airport on a "normal" drive (about 20 miles). They purchased their tickets for an 8 AM flight and left their house at 3:30 AM. Four and 1/2 hours later (the time the plane was to depart) they had only traveled about 10 miles, so they returned home to wait out the storm.

When I returned to Dallas last night, I decided to get some gas since I'd heard many reports that several gas stations south of Dallas were completely out. It was total mayhem. Two gas stations I went to in Dallas (off of the N. Dallas tollway) were completely out. Two others only had one grade available and the lines for those with gas was four to five cars deep, with everyone honking and yelling at each other. I find it simply amazing how easily people seem to panic.