Most Unusual Mascot/Nickname You've Heard Of.

UNTLifer

Here are just a few of the oddball mascot/nicknames: (some I have heard of and some that are too funny not to mention...)

Rhode Island School of Design Nads

University of Arkansas at Monticello Boll Weevils

Conneticut College Camels

CSU at Long Beach Dirtbags

Webster University Gorloks

Tufts University Jumbos

I hope you guys get a kick out of these. I sure did! laugh.gif

Edited by GreenBrigadeDebbie

Some Texas High Schools:

Itasca Wampus Cats (original home of "I'm Mad" Eddie Chiles, ex Texas Ranger owner who was also ex NT Board of Regent)

Brazosport Exporters (in my home county near Freeport, Tx----uh, exporting what for heaven's sake?!?!?)sad.gif

Weatherford Kangaroos ('Roos' in Texas?!?!?) Saw one just last night in FFR's neck of the woods!

Groesbeck Goats (bunch of red-neck goat-ropin' son of a guns near Fort Parker in Limestone County)

Lewisville "Fightin' Farmers?" Most farmers I ever knew growing up were Texas good ol boys--not fightin' farmers.

? ? ? ? Uh, I hope high school mascots were OK, too. blink.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Rotan Yellow Hammers

I didn't know a Yellow Hammer was a bird until I read Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer recently and learned it is the state bird of Alabama. That is a great book by the way, and I think most on this board would appreciate it. It is just a season in the life of the RV army following the Crimson Tide around the country. I read it one day and when I put it down, I wanted badly to have an RV and start tailgating right then. It also looks like I will be across the sidelines from the Rotan version this season.

My personal favorite is the Wampus Cats of Itasca.

Others I didn't see from Texas high schools:

Trent Gorillas

Grandview Zebras

Roscoe Plowboys

Progreso Red Ants

Cuero Gobblers

Wellington Skyrockets

Floyoda Whirlwinds

Crane Golden Cranes

Winters Blizzards

So the Rhode Island School of Nads main yell is: Go Nads?!?!? ph34r.gif

Good one, Jim. Not to be outdone, the yell of the Austin Peay State University Governors is...let's go Peay!

I also think that there is an air of fierceness in the Amherst Lord Jeffs.

Don't forget the Frost Polar Bears.

And, until Whiteface changed their nickname to Antelopes it was the Hereford Whitefaces and the Whiteface Herefords.

And let's not forget the Class A baseball team in Modesto CA, "The Nuts." Yes, the name lost in voting for the new franchise with most votes going to "none of the above.' Now they've made the shirts, hats, etc., a collectors item. Logos have "Al Almond" and "Wally Walnut" on each side of the team name.

It's no longer thier mascot and was only for a few years way back in the day but Longview High School has the distinction of being the only school with "cannibals" as their mascot. As a graduate of LHS I'm glad they changed it to the Lobos.

Other than that I've always thought "Tar Heels" was odd.

GO MEAN GREEN! (Actually, "Mean Green" is kind of piculiar too.)

The Tar Heel name came from a statement from Robert E. Lee in response to a Civil War Regiment from NC "sticking" to their postition when others retreated. As NC was a major producer of tar, Lee said "God bless the Tar Heels" and the name "stuck". North Carolina is officially "The Old North State".

The Macon Whopee is out of business...not much call for ice hockey in southern Georgia!

Finally, as the Webster University (in St Louis) Gorloks were mentioned earlier in this thread and as much as I received my Master's there; their name came from a street intersection on campus...Gore and Lockwood.

A lot of useless info here!