Outlaws Denton Debut?

I went there and thought it was alright. They have a lot of work to do. Promotional ideas will be needed to continue to put butts in the seats. I am surprised they didn't have some sort of promotional giveaway for opening night.

If you like baseball, I think you will like a night out at "The Ballpark on Bonnie Brae"

If you like good pitching however, last nights game was not for you.

Rough start

Roughnecks hold off Outlaws in franchise's home opener

08:47 AM CDT on Friday, June 10, 2005

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

The Denton Outlaws started their inaugural campaign in the Texas Collegiate League with a dramatic ninth-inning rally earlier in the week.

A second comeback in their home opener on Thursday turned out to be just a little too much to ask.

DRC/Gary Payne

The Graham Roughnecks had Denton backed into a corner before the Outlaws gradually cut into a five-run deficit. Denton pulled to within a run in the seventh inning, but was unable to complete the rally in a 10-8 loss in front of a crowd of 380 at The Ballpark on Bonnie Brae.

Denton (1-2) charged back with a two-out rally for a win over Mineral Wells in its first game of the season on Tuesday. The Outlaws have lost both of their games since that initial win.

“We are starting to get put it together,” Outlaws coach Derek Matlock said. “We are still missing a third baseman who should be in tomorrow, a centerfielder who can really play and three key pitchers who will help us. We are still getting to know the kids and need to be patient.”

Matlock is hoping a few players will join the team after their college teams are eliminated from the NCAA tournament to help improve in what will be a historic season in Denton baseball history.

The Outlaws home opener marked the return of college baseball to Denton after an extended absence. North Texas fielded a team in the mid-1980s before the program was disbanded.

Officials with the TCL and the Outlaws said they were happy with the way the team’s first home game unfolded in terms of fan support. The Outlaws originally hoped to break the TCL single-game attendance record.

“We didn’t have any expectations coming in,” part owner Todd Van Poppel said. “We would have liked to have seen more people, but people enjoyed it and that was the bottom line. Gunning for the attendance record was a last-second deal. We didn’t make it a priority.”

The fans who did turn out saw the Outlaws load the bases in each of the first two innings and jump out to a 3-0 lead. Second baseman Brian McBryde highlighted with a one-out double in the second inning.

Graham (2-1) quickly came back in the third when the Roughnecks scored four runs off Daniel Edwards. First baseman Dustin Martin sparked the rally with a two-run triple.

Denton came back to tie the game at 4 on an RBI double to center field by center fielder Kris Jenkins. The run only slowed a surge by Graham, which regained the lead on first baseman Dustin Martin’s two-run home run off losing pitcher Brandon Alford to take a 6-4 edge.

Third baseman Brandon Lance hit Graham’s second home run of the game to spark a three-run rally in the sixth that allowed the Roughnecks to extend their lead to 9-4.

Denton cut its deficit to 9-8 with four unanswered runs in the sixth and seventh innings. Designated hitter Damian Gomez walked and scored the second run in the rally in the sixth before adding an RBI groundout in the seventh.

“The last two games we have fought back from a deficit,” Outlaws second baseman Brian McBryde said. “We got some hits late in the game tonight. We just didn’t get the big hit we needed.”

Graham picked up a key insurance run in the top of the ninth when Roy Merritt singled and scored on a sacrifice fly by right fielder Steve Ptak.

Graham’s two-run lead was too much for Denton to overcome.

After a second straight loss, Matlock is just hoping his team does not slide into too big a hole in the standings to fight back from after the team adds several key players to its roster in the next few days.

“I hate playing this first week,” Matlock said. “We don’t know the kids and are throwing every pitcher we have. I am excited to fast forward about five days to get the team we signed in. What we have to do is hang tough and not give up too many games.”

user posted image

Denton Outlaws pitcher Chase Bayuk throws against the Graham Roughnecks on Thursday at The Ballpark on Bonnie Brae.

Briefly …

North Texas athletic director Rick Villarreal, Outlaws part owner Todd Van Poppel and TCL chairman and chief executive officer Gerald W. Haddock all threw out ceremonial first pitches before the game.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

Denton Record-Chronicle

I think they are pretty much down with the upgrades.  Right now I think the target is to get the funding for a new stadium for next season.  That is what will be sweet.

Yeah, I totally forgot about that. For some reason I was thinking it had already been funded. Either way the atmomsphere is not that bad as it is. Granted a new stadium would be much better.