Coaching Speculations

Rudy

OK, so we have seen the rumors of Spurrier going to S Carolina come true. Whats next for K-State? They aren't going to a bowl game. What do you think the likelyhood of DD going to K-State? More money, better facilities, better recruiting (Big 12), and a more dedicated fan base.

Now, if he were to leave, who would you like to see come in, and/or who do you think we could get? Personally, I would LOVE to see Urban Meyer, the coach from Utah come here. I know its a long shot, but Utah and NT aren't too different. Both are mid majors. Utah just renovated their stadium, we are building a new one. He has built the Utah program into an awakening power. I could see Coach Meyer coming in and building on DD's sucess and achievments. It would require a lot of money, but I think it would be an extremely worthwhile investment. The location would work in our favor as to many other schools looking for a coach. Utah and Texas are both hot during the summer, but we don't have the winter weather they have to deal with up there. Like I said, I know its a longshot, but IF DD were to go elsewhere, and Im not saying he will or that I am hoping he does, Meyer would be the guy I'd want us to pursue.

Maybe Im just dreaming. But I think Utah is where UNT wants to be, and we are where Utah was, not too long ago. He is a great coach, and has bulit the Ute Program to a powerhouse. Say what you will, but I dont see any BCS boys lining up to play them. The just renovated their stadium a few years ago, and its a beautiful sight now. We have a stadium in the works, and an Athletic Center almost completed. We have proof that new facilities are on the way. Meyer just seems like the kind of coach that likes to build winners and show the BcS boys up. Now, Im not saying DD is going anywhere, but if he did, we would be crazy not to go after this guy.

Urban Meyer, if he does leave which is a big IF, will probably head to Florida. I caught the tail end of the Utah-BYU game, and they were talking about how Meyer goes over to the student section after ever game and thanks them for coming out. It really seems as though he really cares about the student body and that the students really appreciate what he has done there. In fact every player on the Utah football team has the logo off the student section(The MUSS) on the back of their helmets. Seems as though Urban Meyer is a class act and any school would love to have the guy coaching their team.

This morning during the ESPN college game day that was done live on the Utah campus, they had Meyer on as a guest. Lee Corso asked him directly if he was considering taking the Florida job. Meyer said, there has not been any communication between himself and Florida. Then Corso asked again, "So your not leaving?". Meyer stated very clearly, "NO".

If you think NT has a chance at Meyer then you might as well put Bob Stoops on that list as well because we have about the same chance to get both.

Rick

Also wanted to add this, he has really turned around the student body spirit there at Utah, granted winning helps alot, but he is very well involved on campus in getting students out to the games. In fact, he was in a few commercials that aired their in Salt Lake City for the MUSS.

The MUSS

Granted with the BCS money they will be getting, Utah is probably going to give him a well-deserved, hefty pay raise.

Edited by NTEagle08

Rudy, no offense but Meyer is headed to a BCS school more than likely. Even if he stays at Utah, it will be with a HUGE contract (in the 7 figures) and it will be with the hope that the MWC will replace the Big Least in auto BCS bids. He is about to be the first coach ever to burst into the BCS system with a non-BCS team. Having him on a "wish" list would be equal to listing Bill Parcells as comig to North Texas, just is not going to happen. Not even the slightest chance that it will happen.

If Dickey is offered another job and decides to take it (that is a big IF - he is still 10 games below .500 and has shown that he builds programs very SLOWLY, not on the fast track that most high profil jobs want to see)... but if he leaves, I would expect Kenny Evans to be promoted from within the same way tha Patterson was promoted at TCU when Franchione left. My realistic wish would be for DeLoach to come back and be head coach with Evans as the top assistant.

Speaking of head coaches; do you think Florida wants a re-do?  Huge miscalculation of their part: firing their coach (who's pretty good) to re-hire the guy that left them for a very large bucket of cash.

Spurier is going to South Carolina, not Florida. He has already agreed to in principle to a contract to replace Lou Holtz at South Carolina.

I would look for Urban Meyer to take that Florida job after he is done knocking off Oklahoma/Boston College in the Fiesta Bowl.

But that would mean that he would go back on his word after saying, on national televesion, that he wasn't leaving. No college coach would ever go back on their word, would they? cool.gif

He was asked if he was in talks with any other schools, he said "no"... with the first non-BCS team to burst into the big money riding on this last game against BYU I would imagine that he was being completely honest.... no coach worth his value would be entertaining job offers during the week before the biggest game of his career. After the Fieata Bowl invite is extended and accepted, I would bet that Meyer will start answering some of those calls and returning the countless phone calls that have come from Gainesville over the last two weeks. The big question is this, will Meyer stick around long enough to coach his team through the bowl game or will he pull a Franchione and let his assistants coach the game?

Edited by stebo

Meyer said, there has not been any communication between himself and Florida.  Then Corso asked again, "So your not leaving?".  Meyer stated very clearly, "NO".

Not leaving this week is what he meant! laugh.gif Utah pays him $500,000 per year. Florida can offer him $2.5 Million per year. You do the math and see if he still says he's not leaving. ph34r.gif As for him coming to UNT, not even as a visiting coach until we get a new stadium, and then it's doubtful. sad.gif

Snyder's not retiring

Spurrier to South Carolina.

Zook to South Carolina as their defensive coordinator and lead recruiter.

Meyer to Florida. Florida's pres. came from Utah and hired Meyer there.

DD in Denton for another 5 years.

I love the Ute program. They are fun to watch and will give any BCS school hell in the Fiesta Bowl.

GMG

P.S. - Meyer is going big time and can pick up the phone after the Fiesta and land the job of his choice. No big hurry to make a commitment now.

Meyer come to UNT. What are you people smoking? They are #6 in the nation! They had 50,000 come to see the game. They are getting an 8 million BCS payment. Why would he want to come to UNT where the current student body complains about everything that relates to sports. Attendance is at 16,000. We are building, but the best thing we can do is overpay Dickey and keep winning and get to a better conference.

Actually they are getting $13 million bucks to go to the Fiesta Bowl to take on a very beatable #21 Boston College.

How does a #21 Boston College get into a BCS bowl game?

Also, Urban Meyer to North Texas is wishful thinking. I'll bet the University of Washington has their sites set on Meyer.

Rudy, with all due respect, I agree with eeally. What have you been smoking and/or drinking these days? ohmy.gif The only way we could have gotten Meyer was BEFORE he went to Bowling Green.

I will say that Rick V. should look at some of the things that Meyer does at Utah to get the students involved. DD should also take a look at that offense as well. wink.gif

And finally. They (Utah) didn't renovate their stadium, they tore the old one down and built a new one on the same spot. And a good bit of that construction was done with olympic money. wink.gif