Morris signals it is over

22 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I agree with this wholeheartedly.  Only the biggest schools with the most money are benefiting from NIL.   There are no rules and tampering has become the standard.  They are killing my interest in following college athletics.   I would rather go back to the Stars then suffer through this dung.

I’d distill it even further.  Only the schools with the richest donor base are benefiting.  This is why smu is legitimately able to include themselves in this next rung.  They have no fan support, and I suspect that they never will.  But they are rich.  Obscenely rich. That’s all it takes.

If schools can’t come together to create some kind of level playing field, then it’s not really sport anymore. I see no reason to support this current version of college athletics if all it boils down to is who has the most obscenely rich donor to bankroll player salaries.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I get what you’re saying, but if the Top 40 break off, you don’t think we’d be in the next 40?  Surely we can crack the top 80.

You think we have top 80 viewership? Top 80 donorship? Top 80 attendance?  "Potential" will be weeded out. Those data points will be the drivers. I have no idea if we have top 80 in any of those. I feel like we don't. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

46 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

What he's saying is why would those teams want to be associated with us? The hypothetical TCUs, Houstons, Cincys, Syracuses, etc would band together and form their own division, one that wouldn't include UNT. Why would those schools suddenly want to be associated with us? Would you want to be in a league with Angelo State and Tarleton? That's the same drop Baylor and Tech would view us as.

I agree with what he says, they would grab whatever the best of what's left over and we would be on the outside looking in.

So, if we are looked at that way by those guys, which is weird since the AAC doesn't look at us that way, but if they do and can create a level of play that is above G5, but not included in the Power Structure of these 40 behemoth programs, how many teams do they let in? In your view, Boston College, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Northwestern, Purdue. SMU, UCF, Cincy, UH, Mississippi State, Vandy, TCU, Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, and Cal are gonna just play in their own setup? They have to have more teams. Even if you added 10 more demoted power schools, you'd find that they would need more programs. Well, that would mean teams from the top two G5 leagues, the MWC and the AAC, as well as anyone else that could compete.

If you are right and we would be relegated to a Sam Houston, SFA, and ULM level, then football at UNT needs to be discontinued. The drain is too much at that point. You wouldn't have bodybag games to pay for the rest of the athletic department anymore. But I just don't see us falling that low. UTEP or La Tech? Yeah, maybe so. But not us or UTSA. 

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I’d distill it even further.  Only the schools with the richest donor base are benefiting.  This is why smu is legitimately able to include themselves in this next rung.  They have no fan support, and I suspect that they never will.  But they are rich.  Obscenely rich. That’s all it takes.

If schools can’t come together to create some kind of level playing field, then it’s not really sport anymore. I see no reason to support this current version of college athletics if all it boils down to is who has the most obscenely rich donor to bankroll player salaries.

I quit it all after 2022. It just sickened me to watch everyone with any talent just transfer away to the highest bidder. High school football has more staying power and name recognition than G5 football. And that won't change until/unless the portal rules get changes, which won't happen. 

Greed killed college football for me. I just can't stand watching it anymore.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

So, if we are looked at that way by those guys, which is weird since the AAC doesn't look at us that way, but if they do and can create a level of play that is above G5, but not included in the Power Structure of these 40 behemoth programs, how many teams do they let in? In your view, Boston College, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Northwestern, Purdue. SMU, UCF, Cincy, UH, Mississippi State, Vandy, TCU, Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, and Cal are gonna just play in their own setup? They have to have more teams. Even if you added 10 more demoted power schools, you'd find that they would need more programs. Well, that would mean teams from the top two G5 leagues, the MWC and the AAC, as well as anyone else that could compete.

If you are right and we would be relegated to a Sam Houston, SFA, and ULM level, then football at UNT needs to be discontinued. The drain is too much at that point. You wouldn't have bodybag games to pay for the rest of the athletic department anymore. But I just don't see us falling that low. UTEP or La Tech? Yeah, maybe so. But not us or UTSA. 

The AAC took us on as a building project. We aren't there, but over the years they were hoping to turn us into a successful program with more media money and exposure.That's the plan for all of the CUSA schools they added.

Let's take a look at your scenario of 40 teams in the top. The Big10 is already at 18 and the SEC is at 16. Let's say The SEC takes UNC, FSU, Clemson, and Virginia. The Big10 takes Notre Dame and Stanford. that still leaves:

NCSU, Duke, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Miami, Va Tech, Boston College, Pitt,Syracuse, Louisville, Cal, SMU

Baylor, BYU, UCF, Cincy, Houston, Iowa St., Kansas, Kansas St., Oklahoma St., TCU, Texas Tech, WVU, Arizona, Arizona St. Colorado, Utah.

Why would these conferences not just join together and form a super conference? They could also pluck the desirable teams left in G5, and the schools always talked about are SDSU, Tulane, Memphis, USF. Sometimes you hear about UNLV, or UTSA/Rice, but not UNT. So how would we fit into that structure?

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

It's not the sound of the coach I'd want leading my team, I'll say that much.

It seems trivial, but I never liked the way he consistently refers to NT and our conference as "G5," even if it's true.  I don't recall Coach Littrell ever using that term to refer to us.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

It seems trivial, but I never liked the way he consistently refers to NT and our conference as "G5," even if it's true.  I don't recall Coach Littrell ever using that term to refer to us.

Simp coaches speak in premeditated damage control. He is a prime example of it. No child of mine would go play for a loser like this. JS. He sounds pitiful. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, JT Hammons said:

It begs the question, if we are moving back down to I-AA, why spend so much money on football?  The money would be better spent on basketball which has far fewer scholarships, and perhaps we could finally rekindle baseball again which would be fun.

No Way!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

I don't understand how our own fans/alum or administration can't see this. Yeah, Yeah - I get it. This is TEXAS!!!!!!!! But I also get simple math and resource allocation. 

Screw that!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

This is really sad.  He sounds depressed about everything.

I don't blame him. It seems that every UNT head coach is enthusiastic when they start then get drained really quickly. 

That said, Morris has the most resources ANY UNT head coach has ever had. So his pain isn't comparable to what Fry or Dickey went through.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

You think we have top 80 viewership? Top 80 donorship? Top 80 attendance?  "Potential" will be weeded out. Those data points will be the drivers. I have no idea if we have top 80 in any of those. I feel like we don't. 

I don’t think we’d be a shoo in, but I’d like to think we could be one of the final 10 in.  Now, if I were to take a closer look at it, I might realize there are more teams ahead of us than I thought.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Where did I say that? 

I've been saying it since last year, the sooner we start cutting the football budget to add to the basketball budget the better off we will be. 

You highlighted the above part of a ntmeangreen11 post, then added the applause photo and:

"I don't understand how our own fans/alum or administration can't see this. Yeah, Yeah - I get it. This is TEXAS!!!!!!!! But I also get simple math and resource allocation." 

That sounds like endorsing defunding or reducing funding for football to me. 

I totally understand the feeling of it being a lost cause now with NIL and Portal taking a huge hit on football.  But basketball too is under fire (losing 9 players) and we have lost softball pitchers also to P5's.  Basically all our sports are under fire.  But so is every program, even Alabama.  They just can reload easier.  Doesn't mean we abandon our programs, regardless of how sad the coach talks.  

• Upvote 3

On 5/8/2024 at 12:20 PM, emmitt01 said:

Ok, everyone....

Sit down. 

Take a deep breath.

Light a nice smelling candle and rub some jasmine oil on your temples.  

Close your eyes and think of a babbling brook...feel the anxiety washing down that stream and away from you.

Now, open your eyes, and let this settle in.

HE'S NOT WRONG AND A G5 LEAGUE IS NOT THE SAME AS 1-AA

I don't disagree, but it will be perceived as the same thing. And perception is reality. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I've been saying it since last year, the sooner we start cutting the football budget to add to the basketball budget the better off we will be. 

You highlighted the above part of a ntmeangreen11 post, then added the applause photo and:

"I don't understand how our own fans/alum or administration can't see this. Yeah, Yeah - I get it. This is TEXAS!!!!!!!! But I also get simple math and resource allocation." 

That sounds like endorsing defunding or reducing funding for football to me. 

I totally understand the feeling of it being a lost cause now with NIL and Portal taking a huge hit on football.  But basketball too is under fire (losing 9 players) and we have lost softball pitchers also to P5's.  Basically all our sports are under fire.  But so is every program, even Alabama.  They just can reload easier.  Doesn't mean we abandon our programs, regardless of how sad the coach talks.  

DEFUNDING is not UTA. Does UTA have an underfunded football program? 

And I'm not advocating for abandonment. I'm advocating for resource allocation that makes regional and national sense. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

DEFUNDING is not UTA. Does UTA have an underfunded football program? 

And I'm not advocating for abandonment. I'm advocating for resource allocation that makes regional and national sense. 

UTA defunded their football out of existence.  The stated intent (like yours) was to put more funding into basketball to raise it to National prominence.  Neither happened, then or since.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, NT93 said:

I get what you’re saying, but if the Top 40 break off, you don’t think we’d be in the next 40?  Surely we can crack the top 80.

Mothers Day Lol GIF by reactionseditor

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I quit it all after 2022. It just sickened me to watch everyone with any talent just transfer away to the highest bidder. High school football has more staying power and name recognition than G5 football. And that won't change until/unless the portal rules get changes, which won't happen. 

Greed killed college football for me. I just can't stand watching it anymore.

While not stopping all college football watching I have stopped in the last couple of years watching P5 versus P5 games. Thanks to ESPN Plus I get all the football coverage I would like and watch G5 games and even FCS games.

I am also glad we have some of the facilities built we do because for other schools similar to ours it's a problem now balancing the donations to the schools infrastructure along with the rent a player payments to get players to stay.

• Thanks 1