Noland To The Portal

37 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Because I would want to loyal and rely on myself and my team. I would want to prove people wrong. I would t want to be a coward hiding behind money and others. But I guess college athletics isn’t about competition anymore…..

As I said in an earlier post, it’s the AAU/Select mentality and that’s all most of these kids have ever known, so it’s hard to blame them.

To be clear, I don’t blame the parents for this either; it’s the system.  At about 9 or 10 years old my son began playing Select baseball, not because we wanted to, but because the rec. league offered no competition at all.  If all the kids playing AA select would just play rec league, lots of people could save money because I assure, there’s nothing “select” about AA baseball.  A bunch of pretty good, but not great baseball players.
Another example:  I have a friend with a 5th grader who is evidently a very good athlete.  He is currently playing select baseball and was approached about being on a travel basketball team at $800 for the Spring season (not his normal travel team). My friend told them they weren’t interested because they had already paid for baseball for the Spring.  A few days ago they get an email from the coach welcoming him to the basketball team.  They wanted him on the team badly enough that they waived the cost for him.  And this is in a small town, definitely much worse in Dallas, Houston, etc.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

As I said in an earlier post, it’s the AAU/Select mentality and that’s all most of these kids have ever known, so it’s hard to blame them.

To be clear, I don’t blame the parents for this either; it’s the system.  At about 9 or 10 years old my son began playing Select baseball, not because we wanted to, but because the rec. league offered no competition at all.  If all the kids playing AA select would just play rec league, lots of people could save money because I assure, there’s nothing “select” about AA baseball.  A bunch of pretty good, but not great baseball players.
Another example:  I have a friend with a 5th grader who is evidently a very good athlete.  He is currently playing select baseball and was approached about being on a travel basketball team at $800 for the Spring season (not his normal travel team). My friend told them they weren’t interested because they had already paid for baseball for the Spring.  A few days ago they get an email from the coach welcoming him to the basketball team.  They wanted him on the team badly enough that they waived the cost for him.  And this is in a small town, definitely much worse in Dallas, Houston, etc.

Yes because like the NIL it’s not regulated. AAU ball is a joke…. Parents paying thousands to invest in their kids sports is a joke and pathetic. It should be a practice that’s ended. 20-30 years ago this wasn’t the case yet we still have plenty of athletes at the college and professional levels. The people at the top simply take advantage  at the AAU level. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Cooley said:

If SMU offered you $200,000 per year to come post on their fan board (Poneyfans.com) versus GoMeanGreen.com would you? What if LSU or someone else tops that by $50k the following year? In the business world, have you ever been offered substantially more to leave your employer? Or did you stay "loyal" to your company that may have hired you right out of college? It's unfortunate but these are the questions the kids have to make today. Playing and/or starting seems to be secondary. I think I would go get that paycheck my final year of eligibility.   

I don't blame the players. I blame the system that has destroyed the era of "student athletes". Why should they have to keep a certain grade point average or pass a specific number of hours each year? We are starting to see more HS transfers allowed. How long until they can sign deals with Nike and Adidas?

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Cooley said:

If SMU offered you $200,000 per year to come post on their fan board (Poneyfans.com) versus GoMeanGreen.com would you? What if LSU or someone else tops that by $50k the following year? In the business world, have you ever been offered substantially more to leave your employer? Or did you stay "loyal" to your company that may have hired you right out of college? It's unfortunate but these are the questions the kids have to make today. Playing and/or starting seems to be secondary. I think I would go get that paycheck my final year of eligibility.   

We already have jobs. Don’t make that much but I would stoop to that just for extra cash. The people using these kids and whispering all that nonsense in their ears should be held accountable. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

3 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

Same thing works in the professional world. Surely you'd understand to see what value you can get for yourself 

Well, yes and no.  It depends on how much you're offered to leave and how much you like or dislike your current employer and job.  As a former EDSer, we used to say that EDS was the best first and third job you'll ever have, because everyone knew that the only way to get what you were worth was to leave.  But on the other hand, I've also worked in one place that I liked so much that I turned down an offer of %10-%15 more.  But when a person is young and underpaid, they're much more focused on the $$. 

• Upvote 3

I dont know how anyone can hold a mid major coach responsible for the team records with all this going on.  I am thinking I might retire from a being a basketball fan.  At this rate the one guy on the bench maybe our point guard..nnI guess I will wait and see on who we get to replace these players before I renew my season tickets. 

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

14 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I dont know how anyone can hold a mid major coach responsible for the team records with all this going on.  I am thinking I might retire from a being a basketball fan.  At this rate the one guy on the bench maybe our point guard..nnI guess I will wait and see on who we get to replace these players before I renew my season tickets. 

Saw this on Twitter and I fully agree. Put your money to tangible improvements. These kids may leave after a year but that new arena will be around for the next generation. Instead of getting in a bidding war while the NCAA figures out this NIL stuff, improve the program as a whole. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

I really can’t say I’m even disappointed anymore. The NCAA has cut the balls off of schools outside the P5. We just can’t compete against this goliath whose foot is at our necks . Only the G5 schools with considerable history of basketball success might be able to stay afloat…but for how long. This isn’t even ridiculous anymore…this is just tedious. 

Edited by 3_n_out
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The portal is absolutely flooded.

Wonder if we'll see some of these guys back on the squad in 24-25.   I would think our collectives have enough $ to counter any peer mid-majors from taking our guys, but I doubt we'll be able to counter any high-major NIL$.

Not if this is accurate:

https://nil-ncaa.com/aac/

Bottom of the American by a good margin.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

36 minutes ago, 3_n_out said:

I really can’t say I’m even disappointed anymore. The P5 has cut the balls off of the NCAA.

FIFY

I feel like a broken record. The NCAA has tried to enforce rules and has lost anti-trust suit after anti-trust suit in the courts.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Shark84 said:

We are starting to see more HS transfers allowed. How long until they can sign deals with Nike and Adidas?

They can in many states and soon will be able to in all.

As far as high school transfers go, it has been going on for a while and is only getting worse. 
Kyler Murray didn’t grow up in Allen and neither did the next couple of quarterbacks who came after him there.
When he was head coach at Cedar Hill, Joey McGuire hired the mom of a star running back from across the state to work for the school district and even got them an apartment. 
Adrian Peterson’s little brother just “moved” to Forney to play QB for Kyler Murray’s old high school coach. 
But what is fun about any of that? Anybody can put an all star team together. That is just fantasy football. 
High school sports meant a lot when it was “Can the kids from my town beat the kids from your town?”. And college sports were great when it was “Can the kids who go to my school beat the kids who go to your school?”

When it just becomes about which team has the most money then it is not as fun anymore. “Who has the most money?” is a simple math problem and not worth following for a whole season. 

Edited by MeanGreenZen
  • Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Not if this is accurate:

https://nil-ncaa.com/aac/

Bottom of the American by a good margin.

Not saying our collective is killing it, but there is no way that is accurate. The collectives are doing their best to keep their resources and expenditures secret. Only the dummies are showing their cards publicly. 

Edited by MeanGreenZen
Sp
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

59 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Not saying our collective is killing it, but there is no way that is accurate. The collectives are doing their best to keep their resources and expenditures secret. Only the dummies are showing their cards publicly. 

We did choose RV to run it so.... Joking aside I know someone on this site knows some insider info. I'd like them to at least say if those numbers are close or way off.

1 hour ago, Tom McKrackin said:

That list is a joke.  Please stop posting inaccurate made up information!

If you have the real numbers let's see them?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

Same thing works in the professional world. Surely you'd understand to see what value you can get for yourself 

I hire prople all the time. A red flag to me is people that “jump jobs”. I value stability and commitment and don’t want employees that I feel have one eye/foot out the door. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I hire prople all the time. A red flag to me is people that “jump jobs”. I value stability and commitment and don’t want employees that I feel have one eye/foot out the door. 

so settle for what you have and not look to better yourself/family situation?

must be a really positive work environment. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2