Dusty May To Michigan?

I am not surprised. He proved himself to be a great coach and motivator in FAU's run to the Final Four last year. After watching his post-game comments as they climbed the bracket I was ready to run through a wall for him.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Can you imagine if we had made it to the final four.

I can.  We would have lost our coach to Michigan and feared for our future.

FAU is still playing in a practice barn and might disappear into irrelevancy for a while...again.

(And it'd be totally worth it!)

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

I can.  We would have lost our coach to Michigan and feared for our future.

FAU is still playing in a practice barn and might disappear into irrelevancy for a while...again.

(And it'd be totally worth it!)

Totally different situations.  If we were to reach the Final Four, with the talent in our backyard, we’d see a BIG uptick in our recruiting.  Even if Mac had taken us there, then left for Michigan, Boss Hodge would have taken over a very strong squad…even if some recruits followed Mac.  

FAU will disappear for a while now.  

• Upvote 3

While a Final Four team would definitely get our head coach swooped up, I'm optimistic a coaching change wouldn't throw us off course much anymore. This is the first time we've had seven straight winning seasons. While losing here isn't going to get death threats like at the P6 schools, I feel the pressure is greater now for us to succeed. And with the rise of social media it is easier for the AD to feel the pressure. As much of a fan I am of Wren and Jared, their availability on social media also leaves them subject to hearing displeasures much more often than Rick might have. I don't think he was on Twitter.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

If we were to reach the Final Four, with the talent in our backyard, we’d see a BIG uptick in our recruiting.

If it were only that simple. Virginia won a National Title and saw ZERO uptick in recruiting. We have won a grand total of 0 NCAA games since winning it all.  Most think it is due to our slow pace & a defense 1st, 2nd, and 3rd focus with offense being an afterthought. The talent required to make a final four run does not desire to play at a snails pace and to put their offensive skillsets on the back burner. Virginia proved you can win that way, but it truly was an outlier. Losing to a 16 seed as the overall #1 seed and having zero wins since 2019 prove this style to be an outlier to winning a MNC and extremely hard to recruit players to commit to it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

If it were only that simple. Virginia won a National Title and saw ZERO uptick in recruiting. We have won a grand total of 0 NCAA games since winning it all.  Most think it is due to our slow pace & a defense 1st, 2nd, and 3rd focus with offense being an afterthought. The talent required to make a final four run does not desire to play at a snails pace and to put their offensive skillsets on the back burner. Virginia proved you can win that way, but it truly was an outlier. Losing to a 16 seed as the overall #1 seed and having zero wins since 2019 prove this style to be an outlier to winning a MNC and extremely hard to recruit players to commit to it. 

I can't speak for everyone or for anyone. But we are trying to stack success... 20+ win seasons, reg season 🏆, conference tournament 🏆, NCAA tournament appearances, etc. We are trying to give our alum a reason to be proud of their university while shining a positive light on our university. If that one day leads to a deep run and a natty I would be elated, but I'm also realistic. 

So, given that, we can recruit junk yard dawgs, play like snails, slap the floor and rely on defense. It's a frustrating product to defend and it's a winning formula for us. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

As much of a fan I am of Wren and Jared, their availability on social media also leaves them subject to hearing displeasures much more often than Rick might have. I don't think he was on Twitter.

That may have been for the best. When he was on Twitter with the Light the Tower NIL collective he kept posting political opinions because he forgot which account he was on.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

So, given that, we can recruit junk yard dawgs, play like snails, slap the floor and rely on defense. It's a frustrating product to defend and it's a winning formula for us. 

It's like having to play against the Triple-option in football.    Just a different animal.   I love it.

16 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's like having to play against the Triple-option in football.    Just a different animal.   I love it.

Precisely. That's why I have been an advocate of making an internal decision as a program and university to move in that direction for our football program. 

• Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Precisely. That's why I have been an advocate of making an internal decision as a program and university to move in that direction for our football program. 

We could run the most perfect offense in the world and score 40ppg... we'd still get 45+ hung on us every week with this defense.   Hodge's defense is not in the same neighborhood as Morris/Caponi.

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We could run the most perfect offense in the world and score 40ppg... we'd still get 45+ hung on us every week with this defense.   Hodge's defense is not in the same neighborhood as Morris/Caponi.

Nah. Less possessions for the opposition = less points. It's not always about the defense, but about limiting the opportunities of the other offense. 

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

There is no reason to use the C word in the basketball forum. It's like cursing. 

• Haha 3