If the Conference Tournament started today....

We would be the 7th seed and have to go through #2 FAU then the winner of #6 Memphis/ #3 Charlotte.  Not 100% certain I prefer it over # 4 SMU & # 1South Florida.

That seeding does have us playing evening games (6:00 pm starts) instead of early afternoon (1:30 pm/2:00 pm).  We seem to play a wee bit better as the day goes on.

Boise & UAB #1 buck the trend (both 8pm starts).  Probably a reach, but 6 of our 7 conference wins were "later" start times.    

Edited by HoosMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

We would be the 7th seed and have to go through #2 FAU then the winner of #6 Memphis/ #3 Charlotte.  Not 100% certain I prefer it over # 4 SMU & # 1South Florida.

That seeding does have us playing evening games (6:00 pm starts) instead of early afternoon (1:30 pm/2:00 pm).  We seem to play a wee bit better as the day goes on.

Boise & UAB #1 buck the trend (both 8pm starts).  Probably a reach, but 6 of our 7 conference wins were "later" start times.    

this conference is going to have tough games regardless of where you end up... would i rather be a 3 or 4 seed, absolutely. but the tournament is going to be rough no matter how you slice it

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Houston had to run away because like many others just to cowardice to stay and compete but ok….

We're the #1 team in the nation and the favorite to win the National Championship.

Instead of pointing out the lack of logic in this statement, it's just easier to call you stupid.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1

19 minutes ago, Cougar King said:

We're the #1 team in the nation and the favorite to win the National Championship.

Instead of pointing out the lack of logic in this statement, it's just easier to call you stupid.

Unless Drexler and Olajuwan enter a Time Machine and suit up Houston isn’t wining crap.  

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

20 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Unless Drexler and Olajuwan enter a Time Machine and suit up Houston isn’t wining crap.  

UNT most likely won't even make the big dance. Maybe you can win the Not Invited Tournament again and get another banner for being the 69th best team in the country. 

Edited by Cougar King
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

8 hours ago, wardly said:

Just saw a NCAA Tournament projection that had FAU and USF as only AAC representatives. The MWC, on the other hand, had 6 teams in. Lets see how the individual conference tournaments play out.

Doesn't bode well for us, and after tonight, I would agree. We need to stop thinking about the NCAA tournament and focus on trying to be B2B Champs for NIT. This team is just not good enough to make it to the NCAA, much less get passed the first round.

4 hours ago, Cougar King said:

Why are you here?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

UNT most likely won't even make the big dance. Maybe you can win the Not Invited Tournament again and get another banner for being the 69th best team in the country. 

Hey, a championship is a championship. Banners fly for making the tournament, so I mean, if that's what you are after, there's a lot of teams that do it. You can say what you want, but I would take a trophy over a banner right now. Keep chasing the dream though.... 

• Eye Roll 1

Weren't you ranked last season in the top 3? How'd that work out?

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

It's also not really true that the winner of the NIT is the 69th best team.  Not that the various computer metrics and what not are the be all end all, but the NIT champ routinely outranks a fair number of NCAA tourney teams in those.  The NIT champ is typically probably somewhere between 40-50.  Sure that's not National Champ, but there are like 350 teams that play DI basketball, so it ain't chopped liver either.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

Doesn't bode well for us, and after tonight, I would agree. We need to stop thinking about the NCAA tournament and focus on trying to be B2B Champs for NIT. This team is just not good enough to make it to the NCAA, much less get passed the first round.

As unlikely as winning the AAC tournament and getting into the NCAA tournament as an AQ would be, that might actually be more plausible than an NIT bid at this point, since there is no way to qualify automatically.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

It's also not really true that the winner of the NIT is the 69th best team.  Not that the various computer metrics and what not are the be all end all, but the NIT champ routinely outranks a fair number of NCAA tourney teams in those.  The NIT champ is typically probably somewhere between 40-50.  Sure that's not National Champ, but there are like 350 teams that play DI basketball, so it ain't chopped liver either.

Just my personal 0.02, but I feel like if you've won the NIT, you have played some legit T25 basketball to make that kind of tournament run.  Even if it doesn't reflect in the polls.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Just my personal 0.02, but I feel like if you've won the NIT, you have played some legit T25 basketball to make that kind of tournament run.  Even if it doesn't reflect in the polls.

Usually the NIT champ is among "others receiving votes" on the last poll.  We did last season!

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1