Tulane Fan Board on UNT game

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

This team is 9-5 with loses to St. John’s, LSU, Boise State and Mississippi State…all schools with name brand recognition. If they had beaten those schools and still only get 4k a game then yeah I would be on your side.  

Yes, it will take some signature wins.  The NIT was one.  Beating Wisconsin and OSU were a couple.  This year Memphis and FAU are targets for our recognition-building.  LSU and St. Johns were missed opportunities.  That's another reason we need name brand OOC games at home instead of multiple cupcakes we played.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

52 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

If this program’s records the past 5 seasons weren’t…

31-7, 25-7, 18-10, 20-11, 21-12 with conference titles, an NIT title, and an NCAA tournament win sprinkled in…then I would be on YOUR side

There is ZERO excuse for attendance less than 5k a game

Exactly.

• RV 1

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

31-7, 25-7, 18-10, 20-11, 21-12 with conference titles, an NIT title, and an NCAA tournament win sprinkled in…then I would be on YOUR side

Exactly!

• Upvote 2

On 1/7/2024 at 5:32 PM, emmitt01 said:

Total that out = 115-47 record - we have won at least 70% of those 162 games.

Sad that alumni and students don't show up to see winning... 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Big Z said:

Total that out = 115-47 record - we have won at least 70% of those 162 games.

Sad that alumni and students don't show up to see winning... 

Conferences have sold-out to media for $, which in turn hurts game attendance because all games are now broadcast. 

It's more important than ever for the "at-game experience" to be meaningful and wowing for fans.  I don't think we do a good job of that.   Every minute a fan is in the building is an opportunity to retain them or lose them for the next game.  Again, we don't act like it's a big deal if fans show or not. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Conferences have sold-out to media for $, which in turn hurts game attendance because all games are now broadcast. 

It's more important than ever for the "at-game experience" to be meaningful and wowing for fans.  I don't think we do a good job of that.   Every minute a fan is in the building is an opportunity to retain them or lose them for the next game.  Again, we don't act like it's a big deal if fans show or not. 

Agree 100%

It’s very low budget and bare minimum and I can tell no one is thinking outside the box. 

Not impress with Mosley, he could do better. 

• Upvote 7
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Big Z said:

It’s very low budget and bare minimum and I can tell no one is thinking outside the box. 

This is much! The game experience needs a complete overhaul. Do fun things on the Jumbotron (sing along, dancing competitions, etc), have the DJ play more relevant songs, display Jumbotron queues at APPROPRIATE times (last game they played a “get loud” clip as WE were walking out to shoot FTs. Play that when our opponent is about to shoot). Just so much that needs to be done on that side. Off court product needs to match the on court one. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

That must have been awesome!

The funny part was there were some kids that were completely unbothered. They were trying to wrap the thing up and 2 kids were sitting mid court taking their sweet time tying up their shoes haha

• Haha 1

We used to get 7-8,000 when Bill Blakeley was the coach.  He had some very good teams but he was a show himself.  He'd grab his nose indicating the call against him stunk.  He'd also grab his tie and pull it indicating that the referee choked when he made that call.  

However, back then we often had one of the several writers or the Denton Record-Chronicle beat writer at least give some publicity.  Everyone took the Dallas Morning News and/or the Denton Record-Chronicle.  Now the newspapers have become expensive and circulation has dropped.  If we stay competitive in our new conference and we can get the message to the students, Denton County residents and alumni and get them enthused.  It may be passe now but we would have pep rallies before home games on Friday before game day in front of the Student Union.  

Form a spirit group and give them all a T-shirt.  On Homecoming have them paint their faces and be the lead cheer group for the cheerleaders.  Have that group try to get a friend each into the Greenbackers.  You'll need fundraisers for the T-shirts.

Give support to the spirit band at the basketball games.

Don't just sit around...let them hear you!  Just do it.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

We used to have fun halftime entertainment.  The lady that could catch bowls on her foot while atop a 6 ft tall unicycle.  Acrobats that would slam dunk.  And my favorite, Frisby dogs !

Would that help get people in the stands ?

Exactly.  There just needs to be more thought in keeping fans engaged and entertained during breaks in the game action.  

On 1/10/2024 at 7:35 PM, NT80 said:

Who is we, and how should they act?

On 1/10/2024 at 3:32 PM, drex said:

Lack of imagination, initative and emphasis from the athletic department.

It's this. 

I'll give you the easiest of easy examples. I searched whether or not the AD even has a TikTok presence. They do. 9 total videos with the last one being from November of 2022. The hottest social media platform in the target demographic (college students) and you can't be bothered to post some highlights or memes or anything to remind the student body that they have a basketball team.

For the old heads who don't care about TikTok or social media, I'll point out another problem. This athletic department refuses and has always refused the past 20 years I've been watching the program to market outside of Denton. In really ambitious years, I've seen them outreach a tiny bit into Argyle and Corinth.

She doesn't want you. Maybe eventually she will, but not now. This philosophy of "Let's get Denton on board first before expanding out" literally hasn't worked for over a century now. Please try something...anything...else.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, greenjoe said:

We used to have fun halftime entertainment.  The lady that could catch bowls on her foot while atop a 6 ft tall unicycle.  Acrobats that would slam dunk.  And my favorite, Frisby dogs !

Where are the little dribblers and the jump ropers?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoEagle said:

It's this. 

I'll give you the easiest of easy examples. I searched whether or not the AD even has a TikTok presence. They do. 9 total videos with the last one being from November of 2022. The hottest social media platform in the target demographic (college students) and you can't be bothered to post some highlights or memes or anything to remind the student body that they have a basketball team.

For the old heads who don't care about TikTok or social media, I'll point out another problem. This athletic department refuses and has always refused the past 20 years I've been watching the program to market outside of Denton. In really ambitious years, I've seen them outreach a tiny bit into Argyle and Corinth.

She doesn't want you. Maybe eventually she will, but not now. This philosophy of "Let's get Denton on board first before expanding out" literally hasn't worked for nearly a century now. Please try something...anything...else.

Tik Tok should be banned alongside snap chat. I would hope a university they promotes education and the restore for a better future would never promote  either of these entities. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 4

6 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

So you don't want students at the game? You should work for the athletic department.

I don’t wants students using ludicrous brain washing apps….. I definitely don’t want adults who are in charge pandering in these ways and propagating the problem….. We should strive to be better. No pander to the lowest common denominator of life….

• Haha 1
  • Ray 2

3 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Game entertainment doesn’t attract but it does retain. (Most) people don’t see a halftime show marketing and a decide to attend. But if you attend a game and the product is good and the environment is enjoyable, you tend to remember it and want to come back. 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Who is we, and how should they act?

We, as in NT Athletic Dept (maybe it should be they?)….  I don’t get the feeling “they” really care if you or I show up to a game or come back or not.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1