First Responder Bowl

Big Z

Texas State has a president who is very supportive of athletics. He was faculty athletic rep at OU for years, then chancellor (Campus CEO) at Arkansas State. 

That said, made an absolutely awful AD hire who "retired for health reasons" after a year and supported renewing an embarrassingly dreadful men's basketball coach, I think solely because his best player, a potential NBA caliber player had tweeted he was returning for another year. Coach gets a new two year deal instead of contract lapsing. Ink's barely dry and Da U's Lifelock funded NIL bought the kid on spring break when he went to Miami on spring break to visit his high school coach and he reportedly shopped the kid to Miami, FIU, FAU, UF, FSU, and GT. Not sure how the kid is able to sign an NIL deal on a student visa but immigration law ain't my bag.

So they've got leadership that will back athletics but doesn't have best record of making good choices. If President Selfie has a good AD they'll do well.

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Needless to say, the concessions stands were not prepared for such a turnout. They ran out of everything. 

Concessions have been an ongoing humiliation. One more thing the boosters need to take direct control of.

But in concessions defense, who would have thought Texas St. grads could afford multiple purchases?

Edited by DentonStang
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 11
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

What’s wrong with playing La Tech?

They are an awful school. No conference wants them because they are such jerks. They have an SMU attitude without money, facilities, or history to back it up. 

Texas State is an up-and-coming program. They have a positive attitude and a can-do spirit. They are not ready for the American conference but are lightyears ahead of LaTech in every possible metric. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3

5 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

A series against Texas State would certainly be better than ever playing La Tech. 

I don’t care to argue for either of these schools but we have no historical sports connection to Texas State nor do we have anything beneficial to gain from playing them. Let them and UT-San Antonio have their fun. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

nor do we have anything beneficial to gain from playing them.

I don’t really get this argument. I feel like they would travel and buy tickets. Certainly a lot more chance of a rivalry that would have financial benefits than 90% of our current slate of non-conference games. If our fans bought up all the single game tickets and we sold out no matter who we play, I would agree with you. But we don’t.

2 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

I don’t really get this argument. I feel like they would travel and buy tickets. Certainly a lot more chance of a rivalry that would have financial benefits than 90% of our current slate of non-conference games. If our fans bought up all the single game tickets and we sold out no matter who we play, I would agree with you. But we don’t.

To me, Texas State makes a lot of sense just like UTSA does. There’s so much overlap between the schools. Similar student bodies. A lot of the students/alumni from each school know students/alumni from other schools. I’m not speaking for everyone, but I know a large group of Tx State fans who would absolutely feed into this rivalry. It’s kind of a “house divided” rivalry to me. Maybe I’m way off, but the reason the UTSA rivalry works so well is because a lot of fans see themselves when they see the opposing fans, and that could be said with Texas State

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, GoGreenBeans said:

To me, Texas State makes a lot of sense just like UTSA does. There’s so much overlap between the schools. Similar student bodies. A lot of the students/alumni from each school know students/alumni from other schools. I’m not speaking for everyone, but I know a large group of Tx State fans who would absolutely feed into this rivalry. It’s kind of a “house divided” rivalry to me. Maybe I’m way off, but the reason the UTSA rivalry works so well is because a lot of fans see themselves when they see the opposing fans, and that could be said with Texas State

NO!   Do we want to be in a National conference, or back in the Southland conference??

I’m a “no” on playing TxSt.  We are above them in conference affiliation.  Even though we may be very similar to them, I don’t think we need to associate ourselves with them in any way.  I know that seems snobbish, but we need to do what’s best for us to elevate our brand.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, GoGreenBeans said:

I’m not exactly advocating for Tx State in the AAC, but I am advocating to put them on our schedule

Ok.  I would prefer to play them in an OOC game than these worthless FCS games we schedule.   But I stop at playing them yearly and trying to make a rivalry out of it. 

We should also be looking at New Mexico, Air Force, Colorado St, etc for games.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, NT80 said:

New Mexico, Air Force, Colorado St,

The problem with those types of teams is they just don’t really sell tickets. If we start winning and our fans show up no matter who we play, then I say we schedule whoever we want. My strategy until then would be to schedule teams that will put butts in seats and cause us to sell out of beer like Texas State did at SMU yesterday.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

The problem with those types of teams is they just don’t really sell tickets. If we start winning and our fans show up no matter who we play, then I say we schedule whoever we want. My strategy until then would be to schedule teams that will put butts in seats and cause us to sell out of beer like Texas State did at SMU yesterday.

Our students and fans won't circle Texas St. on our schedule as a must-attend game.   It sounds like you want visitor fans to fill our stadium.  Texas St won't do that either.  You will need an Okla St or Arkansas type fan base that travels for that.