Concerns leading up to Wednesday

El Paso Eagle

We have had, at least announced, an excellent week; hopefully, they will follow through on Wednesday. That being said, I would be lying if I did not mention that I had hoped there would be an announcement on a QB and more ready-to-play (transfers) DL/LBs. I'm not sure how a QB would not be interested in playing in Morriss' system (and with all of the receivers we are getting, maybe there is something they are sharing with them). Hopefully there is some good news coming Wednesday, as I would hope for the potential QB1 to be here for the Spring. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3

18 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

Regarding the QB, I have to believe they already have their guy.  How do you recruit receivers when QB1 and QB2 are gone?  It must be on the hush….i don’t why it’d be a secret, though. 

I don’t know if you saw on the portal entry thread but it looks like Earle may be coming back so maybe only QB1 is gone.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

So a game plan that doesn't require him to throw the ball vs one that does?  

Correct. More gimmick plays like how he was used with Littrell. I know the talent level is different but it's only about 10 years ago that Auburn made the national championship game running the triple option with a gimmick running QB.

Edit to add, I don't think this is the preferred route but the going rate for top tier QBs is more than our HC is making. They're going to have to find ways to be creative if they can't land a transfer QB1. I personally think think the coaches will get a legit guy in to be the actual QB1 but there is a way to use Earle for 5ish snaps per game and generate some big plays. Am I the only surprised that didn't happen last year? Maybe it'll happen this year.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Correct. More gimmick plays like how he was used with Littrell. I know the talent level is different but it's only about 10 years ago that Auburn made the national championship game running the triple option with a gimmick running QB.

Edit to add, I don't think this is the preferred route but the going rate for top tier QBs is more than our HC is making. They're going to have to find ways to be creative if they can't land a transfer QB1. I personally think think the coaches will get a legit guy in to be the actual QB1 but there is a way to use Earle for 5ish snaps per game and generate some big plays. Am I the only surprised that didn't happen last year? Maybe it'll happen this year.

I know of a local (ish) QB who got an offer from a low tier P5 school late, redshirted his first year, and then had a *decent year as a RS FR, he entered the portal and got 400k + a house on campus with all expenses paid for a year from another P5. This guy was not even on Rodgers level and he got that much. We need a T Boone Pickens to come along for us to compete now 🤷‍♂️

• Sad 1

A single male with no apparent write offs would make the IRS and Uncle Joe happy. Wonder if any of the benefits are taxed?

9 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

I know of a local (ish) QB who got an offer from a low tier P5 school late, redshirted his first year, and then had a *decent year as a RS FR, he entered the portal and got 400k + a house on campus with all expenses paid for a year from another P5. This guy was not even on Rodgers level and he got that much. We need a T Boone Pickens to come along for us to compete now 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

That's absolutely wild. This is where having a video game numbers offense will help, IMO. Some guys will be left out of the top NIL craze and may choose to come UNT for a couple years to boost their stock for that grad transfer money. Pro athletes do this occasionally where they take a smaller and/or shorter deal to gamble on themselves for a better deal long-term. Big NIL deals may only come for one year for most guys unless they end up the starter and put up big numbers. Younger QBs may see $400k to fight for a number 1 spot as a risk 2 years down the line because the NIL deal will run out after that 1 year. If they end up QB2, that $400k may be their only NIL deal. Or come to UNT put up 4000 yards and 35+ TDs and then go to one of the blue bloods and get $1.5 mil. Up to you.

Hopefully this makes sense as I'm probably just rambling.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

That's absolutely wild. This is where having a video game numbers offense will help, IMO. Some guys will be left out of the top NIL craze and may choose to come UNT for a couple years to boost their stock for that grad transfer money. Pro athletes do this occasionally where they take a smaller and/or shorter deal to gamble on themselves for a better deal long-term. Big NIL deals may only come for one year for most guys unless they end up the starter and put up big numbers. Younger QBs may see $400k to fight for a number 1 spot as a risk 2 years down the line because the NIL deal will run out after that 1 year. If they end up QB2, that $400k may be their only NIL deal. Or come to UNT put up 4000 yards and 35+ TDs and then go to one of the blue bloods and get $1.5 mil. Up to you.

Hopefully this makes sense as I'm probably just rambling.

To hear more and more players, these monster NIL deals are not paying as much as is being advertised. There seem to be a lot of these deals that are tied to performance, and when some of these young players are not playing enough to put up numbers, those NIL checks are not as large as they thought they would be. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

To hear more and more players, these monster NIL deals are not paying as much as is being advertised. There seem to be a lot of these deals that are tied to performance, and when some of these young players are not playing enough to put up numbers, those NIL checks are not as large as they thought they would be. 

I think I saw this from some Texas A&M players that they didn't get paid what they thought they would. Wonder if they did get the gross dollar amount but taxes killed them, if it's what you said, or both. 

3 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think I saw this from some Texas A&M players that they didn't get paid what they thought they would. Wonder if they did get the gross dollar amount but taxes killed them, if it's what you said, or both. 

https://aggieswire.usatoday.com/2023/12/05/evan-stewart-texas-aggies-football-nil-jimbo-fisher-sliced-bread/#

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Probably a combination. I wonder how many players are going to screw up their taxes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I would challenge that our’s has a business building named after him. 

55 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Probably a combination. I wonder how many players are going to screw up their taxes.

Maybe, as a selling point, we make portal recruits aware of the fact that we have someone that could assist them with their tax issues.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

We need a T Boone Pickens to come along for us to compete now 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

We have one, he's just in Houston giving his money there. 

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I would challenge that our’s has a business building named after him. 

Oil > Accounting > Furniture

I'll have to agree with @ntmeangreen11

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, RBP79 said:

A single male with no apparent write offs would make the IRS and Uncle Joe happy. Wonder if any of the benefits are taxed?

it has to be taxed it is income.  I wonder if they are taking the taxes out for these kids or just handing them a 1099 and they are on their own.  Hope they understand how much of that money is the tax mans otherwise they are in for a big suprise.

• Upvote 2