Playoff bracket predictions?

meangreenfaninno

31 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

FSU does not have their quarterback playing. Everything that happened prior to injury is irrelevant. If they lost a skill position  player, that's different. This is a quarterback.

Sure a QB.  Then they lost their backup yet still beat a ranked team with a 3rd stringer.  If anything that enhances their case as a worthy team to me.

The backup (Rodemaker) will be back by their Bowl, so using the Louisville game, where he didn't play, as the data point on which to deny them a Rose/Sugar Bowl spot is a bit of a shell game.  Give Rodemaker a month to prepare, plus that defense, and I feel they could hang with whoever.  

But apparently Jordan Travis should be the runaway Heisman winner given he was he sole reason FSU was any good this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Sure a QB.  Then they lost their backup yet still beat a ranked team with a 3rd stringer.  If anything that enhances their case as a worthy team to me.

The backup (Rodemaker) will be back by their Bowl, so using the Louisville game, where he didn't play, as the data point on which to deny them a Rose/Sugar Bowl spot is a bit of a shell game.  Give Rodemaker a month to prepare, plus that defense, and I feel they could hang with whoever.  

But apparently Jordan Travis should be the runaway Heisman winner given he was he sole reason FSU was any good this year.

I'd say FSU has every right to claim a "National Championship" like UCF does, if they happen to beat Georgia (the reigning champs, and likely a better team than at least both FSU & Texas) in the Orange Bowl.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'd say FSU has every right to claim a "National Championship" like UCF does, if they happen to beat Georgia (the reigning champs, and likely a better team than at least both FSU & Texas) in the Orange Bowl.

But if FSU loses by double digits, I don't want to read any commentary that they were unmotivated. They have their shot to prove the committee wrong. UCF took advantage by beating Auburn by 7. It's up to FSU to do the same.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

15 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

But if FSU loses by double digits, I don't want to read any commentary that they were unmotivated. They have their shot to prove the committee wrong. UCF took advantage by beating Auburn by 7. It's up to FSU to do the same.

Oh yes.  There'll be plenty of "See! Told-ya-so!"s to go around if they get their doors blown off by Georgia (which they likely will).

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Then why aren't you arguing that Liberty should be in? I've brought them up in this thread yet nobody has picked their side. Everybody wants to defend the big P5 but nobody is fighting for the 13-0 G5 champion.

Because they have the weakest schedule in college football.

23 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Because they have the weakest schedule in college football.

Florida State has the weakest of any team in the top 10 and theirs is nowhere near any team in the top 4. I realize there's a difference between 55 and 133 but you can't compare FSU's SOS to anybody in the top 4 save for maybe Michigan.

Screenshot_20231204_122305_Chrome.jpg.f72e7e56989ffde7b759f309953cd4af.jpg

• Eye Roll 1

It truly sucks for FSU, but UM and UW were locks.

No way the committee was going to leave Bama out after they knocked off Georgia.  When that happened, it opened the door for Texas to be in the mix.

But FSU (and the "Alliance") screwed over every G5 school with that idiotic and paranoid vote against 2023 playoff expansion, or they wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

That may be true, but Oregon was considered a lock if they defeated Washington in the Pac-12 title game and their SOS was 52.

And they had a loss.

They were considered a "lock" only because it would have avenged their only loss and knocked Washington out of contention in the process. It makes sense on paper, it was one Pac 12 swap for another.

29 minutes ago, LongJim said:

But FSU (and the "Alliance") screwed over every G5 school with that idiotic and paranoid vote against 2023 playoff expansion, or they wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place.

And the reality is, FSU and the ACC still don't care about the G5. All the official statements are blasting the committee for leaving an undefeated P5 conference champion, not an undefeated conference champion. If North Texas had gone 13-0, we'd still have been left out and none of the media world would be outraged. To me, FSU being left out is a good thing for the G5 programs. It shows it can happen to the Big brands as well and maybe they'll consider expanding the playoffs even more.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

To me, FSU being left out is a good thing for the G5 programs. It shows it can happen to the Big brands as well and maybe they'll consider expanding the playoffs even more.

I don't disagree.  FAFO moment for FSU (and the ACC) in a way.

• Thanks 1

I was at the FSU/North Alabama game when Travis' leg broke. I figured the national championship dream was over, but I thought it would be because of a loss. Mike Norvell is a hell of a coach to get them to 13-0.

Spending so much time in Tallahassee has me biased, but Florida State got robbed. The committee kept them out because of how their third-string quarterback played, even though he would not have played a down in one month in the playoffs. Teams have won the natty with backup quarterbacks but now that's viewed as impossible? Norvell would've had a month to prepare Rodemaker.

The undefeated champion of a P5 conference has always gotten in the playoff. FSU won all their games and their defense played out of their minds after Travis went down. Louisville came in humming on offense with three 30-plus point games. FSU held them to 6.

The standard for the playoff should have been about wins and losses, not about a perception of who is going to play better in a month. People keep using TCU as the reason FSU should've been excluded, but TCU showed it belonged by beating Michigan.

It's weird that the ACC is being talked about like the G5 even though it has three national championships the past decade. Will the ACC be the next to die after the PAC-12 as ESPN and the other football powers try to form the Premier League of college football?

• Upvote 3

One of the ironies of FSU's predicament is that the Seminoles were only playing the cupcake North Alabama late in the season because they had to make room for a season opener against LSU in Orlando. LSU was the preseason No. 5. FSU took the risk of scheduling a big SEC opponent in a neutral game to start the season and establish its national contender credibility, then blew the doors off them in an upset. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

I find it a bit ironic SMU is saying being passed over by Liberty shows they need to get into the ACC to "get the respect they deserve." But the ACC is the first P5 Conference to have its undefeated Champion passed over! Are they going to the P5 that gets no respect? 

Perfect weekend… No love for Smut or their new conference!  Lol 💕 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, rcade said:

I was at the FSU/North Alabama game when Travis' leg broke. I figured the national championship dream was over, but I thought it would be because of a loss. Mike Norvell is a hell of a coach to get them to 13-0.

Spending so much time in Tallahassee has me biased, but Florida State got robbed. The committee kept them out because of how their third-string quarterback played, even though he would not have played a down in one month in the playoffs. Teams have won the natty with backup quarterbacks but now that's viewed as impossible? Norvell would've had a month to prepare Rodemaker.

The undefeated champion of a P5 conference has always gotten in the playoff. FSU won all their games and their defense played out of their minds after Travis went down. Louisville came in humming on offense with three 30-plus point games. FSU held them to 6.

The standard for the playoff should have been about wins and losses, not about a perception of who is going to play better in a month. People keep using TCU as the reason FSU should've been excluded, but TCU showed it belonged by beating Michigan.

It's weird that the ACC is being talked about like the G5 even though it has three national championships the past decade. Will the ACC be the next to die after the PAC-12 as ESPN and the other football powers try to form the Premier League of college football?

Well said.

The ACC is being treated as G5 even though they had a winning record vs the SEC this year.  It wouldn't surprise me to see that trend continue in bowl season.

Here's an opinion that most may not agree with:  Alabama winning and/or FSU losing doesn't justify the decision to leave FSU out.  I feel like Ohio St., Georgia, and Oregon could possibly win the playoff if they were in it.  My point being that on any given day, there are about 8-10 teams that could each beat one another.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Well said.

The ACC is being treated as G5 even though they had a winning record vs the SEC this year.  It wouldn't surprise me to see that trend continue in bowl season.

Here's an opinion that most may not agree with:  Alabama winning and/or FSU losing doesn't justify the decision to leave FSU out.  I feel like Ohio St., Georgia, and Oregon could possibly win the playoff if they were in it.  My point being that on any given day, there are about 8-10 teams that could each beat one another.

I agree with that as well.  March Madness shows that all the time. 

The year after losing to a 16 seed in the Round of 64, Virginia won a National Championship with basically the same team.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

On 12/3/2023 at 2:22 PM, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Nah, Texas was ahead of Alabama anyway.  They were going to get in.  But the committee did not want to leave the playoff without an SEC team.

Funny thing is, im convinced that if Georgia would have won, FSU would have gotten in.  Once Bama beat Georgia they had to take Texas and they couldn't leave out Bama.  

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Funny thing is, im convinced that if Georgia would have won, FSU would have gotten in.  Once Bama beat Georgia they had to take Texas and they couldn't leave out Bama.  

I don’t think there’s any doubt that’s true.  As long as there is an SEC team, the games can be played.

• Upvote 2

Just now, NT80 said:

If it's the players they make a team quality or not, then it is the lack of those players that make a team non-quality.  It is, and does.

What makes a team quality is wins.

Give me a team that wins over a team that is perceived to be good by a dozen codgers in recliners who'd rather be watching Matlock instead of football.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, rcade said:

What makes a team quality is wins.

Give me a team that wins over a team that is perceived to be good by a dozen codgers in recliners who'd rather be watching Matlock instead of football.

Yes, a team is judged by wins.  But again, it is certain key players (usually a QB) that causes those wins.  When that piece is gone, usually the team's performance (ie wins) declines.   

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

Yes, a team is judged by wins.  But again, it is certain key players (usually a QB) that causes those wins.  When that piece is gone, usually the team's performance (ie wins) declines.   

Sometimes it doesn't, which is why we play the games.

Multiple teams in the last decade have won the natty with a backup quarterback.

Picking the CFP based on expectations instead of results is so absurd that Jordan Travis posted on social media he wishes he'd broken his leg "earlier in the season so y'all could see this team is much more than the quarterback."

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, rcade said:

Sometimes it doesn't, which is why we play the games.

Multiple teams in the last decade have won the natty with a backup quarterback.

Picking the CFP based on expectations instead of results is so absurd that Jordan Travis posted on social media he wishes he'd broken his leg "earlier in the season so y'all could see this team is much more than the quarterback."

I agree with that.  The CFP put themselves in this situation with only a 4-team playoff, instead of one that allowed for all FBS conference champs to be included (like all other levels of football playoffs).  

They clearly knew this scenario was coming too because the spokesman kept saying “best teams now” not “best deserving teams” before the picks. 

Next year will help with a 12-team playoff but it still avoids adding all conference winners.  You will still have the UCF and FSU situations.  

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, rcade said:

Shawn Wayans Message GIF

• Upvote 1