North Texas Portal Entry Thread

TheReal_jayD

7 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

But in baseball you have them for the duration of their contracts and you can trade assets for areas of need. You don't risk losing performing players every year. This is not the same.

Not exactly the same, no. But it's still about roster management. Figuring out how hard you are willing to go to keep a player, what you can afford, how to allocate what you can afford.

Sign a high school kid, he can walk when he wants. Sign a kid who tore it up at Incarnate Word or Houston Baptist, he's stuck until he gets a diploma.

High school coaches recruit by showing who they've placed at high Division I programs. Developing players that get a big pay day at OU or LSU ain't going to hurt recruiting.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

I don't believe their numbers. I don't know if they are pulling them from an orifice or some "handlers" are self-reporting big numbers to get big numbers for other players they work.

It's so to heavy with a small number of players getting the 7 figure deal that it skews the numbers. There's no way they make that money. Ethan Miner, !?!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

I don't believe their numbers. I don't know if they are pulling them from an orifice or some "handlers" are self-reporting big numbers to get big numbers for other players they work.

It's just a made up number based on an algorithm. 

https://www.on3.com/nil/news/about-on3-nil-valuation-per-post-value/

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

Not exactly the same, no. But it's still about roster management. Figuring out how hard you are willing to go to keep a player, what you can afford, how to allocate what you can afford.

Sign a high school kid, he can walk when he wants. Sign a kid who tore it up at Incarnate Word or Houston Baptist, he's stuck until he gets a diploma.

High school coaches recruit by showing who they've placed at high Division I programs. Developing players that get a big pay day at OU or LSU ain't going to hurt recruiting.

I certainly agree with this and posted it in another thread that if the coaches are smart, they'll show all prospects (especially our offensive guys) that UNT is where you can come to raise your profile and then get paid elsewhere. If you're a HS recruit who didn't get the big P5 offer, come kill it here and then you can use your free transfer to get paid elsewhere after a couple of years. If you're a transfer with 2-3 years left, come kill it here and then you can use your grad transfer to get paid elsewhere.

I follow European soccer and there's several soccer teams that have had sustained success by developing young talent even knowing the players will eventually leave for bigger teams. Having those premier talents allows them to compete with the biggest teams over there when they otherwise couldn't afford the players necessary to compete. It certainly can be done here as well.

I'm not as worried about players leaving as others but I definitely think there needs to be more structure in place. I don't know if the solution is penalties after your first transfer such as sitting out 6 games or maybe being required to stay with a program 2 years before transferring. I understand coaches can leave for better jobs without penalty but in pro sports, just because your coach leaves it doesn't mean you get to break your contract. If the players want to be treated as pros, they need to take the good with the bad.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

why does God seem to be so heavily-invested in the transfer portal? everything going on in the world and he/she's concerning him/herself with the life-plan of a third string-linebacker?

God prefers Ze/zir pronouns these days. Please respect zir decision. 

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

That is unbelievable.  We lost more than any other team in the country.  Why is that?  Is it because we have the best raw talent here being in DFW?

Many blame the addition of the “Covid” year. Many of our entries have graduated and have diploma in hand. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

That is unbelievable.  We lost more than any other team in the country.  Why is that?  Is it because we have the best raw talent here being in DFW?

Almost any team.  ECU looks like they lost more...

Sorry, just trying to find someone who has it worse.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jdawg48 said:

To those who dont know

Oscar Adaway is now in portal.

We only have like 1 or 2 backs left lol..

I have laugh as this is getting ridiculous! I saw a post elsewhere that says there are now over 7,000 in the portal. I’m not sure if that’s accurate or not. With 133 FBS scrolls, that only 11,305 possible scholarships and some are open from graduation. 

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Upvote 2

I did get to thinking just a moment ago.  Maybe we are just seeing a giant overhaul because there are a lot of incoming players to fit into the systems the coaching staff wants to solidify.

Obviously this doesn't hit on all of the transfers, but could explain the mass Exodus.

"We love having you, but we are really looking to give our systems a real chance this year, so you might want to look elsewhere for more playing time."

Morris and crew didn't have much opportunity to recruit and we're scouting from behind last year.  Now that they have the chance, they could just be looking to bring "their guys" in.  Which could be good or bad, especially on the defensive side of the ball. (Not that it can get much worse than last season)

• Upvote 1

Just now, MeanGreen22 said:

Oscar put his heart and soul into this university. Been here since 2019 and is very supportive of his fellow student athletes. I truly hope there won’t be people giving him grief on social media. 

Yeah so what about what the university gave him?  Does that not matter to you?  We stuck with the guy through thick and thin and helped him through his injuries when other programs would have faltered. I am getting sick and tired of our fans kissing the feet of players who are bailing on us after we gave them a huge opportunity to play D-1 football.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Yeah so what about what the university gave him?  Does that not matter to you?  We stuck with the guy through thick and thin and helped him through his injuries when other programs would have faltered. I am getting sick and tired of our fans kissing the feet of players who are bailing on us after we gave them a huge opportunity to play D-1 football.

It’s an emotional time in UNT football so I get it.. but save your anger for Chandler, Jamori, or Ethan who’s stop at UNT was purely a stepping stone to get to (or back to) P5 football. Oscar is not that. 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

11 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Oscar put his heart and soul into this university. Been here since 2019 and is very supportive of his fellow student athletes. I truly hope there won’t be people giving him grief on social media. 

For some reason, Oscar's transfer hurts. All those injuries, I always rooted for him to succeed. I wish him well, but I was hoping to see him wear Mean Green until he ran out of eligibility. 

• Upvote 2