North Texas Portal Entry Thread

TheReal_jayD

3 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Something to keep in mind.  I’ll believe in the “upgrades” when they sign and show up. 

I don’t think we have lost anyone yet that we won’t be able to upgrade. Maclin hurts. But I believe with this offense you will be able to replace. The center will be the hardest to upgrade. But he wasn’t a world beater at ark state. He took off this year. Wilson was encouraged to leave. So I am not sure which other portal entry you are afraid of not being able to upgrade. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, wardly said:

Did you ever leave a company for a job in the same industry that paid more and offered you a better opportunity? I have, appreciate the year he gave us, and wish him nothing but the best in the future.

You know what also happens in the business world?  They give you various benefits like, tuition reimbursement, etc. because they have invested in you.  Then, typically, if you leave before some specified time, you are required to pay back the investment.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

49 minutes ago, Okiefan said:

All of this is very interesting. Many on this board have preached all year that most of the players except Rogers, a few receivers, and the RBs were no good and needed replaced. You are getting your wish. UNT is taking the Texas State approach and you will see at least 50 new players next year. All the talk of culture and family is out the window and since we have no real NIL, they likely won’t be the dominant power 5 transfers you want.  It will be interesting to see what it looks like come fall camp. I hope it’s successful.

If this is the way, so be it. We can’t compete financially, so we need alternative methods. I mean, we’re in the AAC now. We have to be appealing to kids from other programs wanting to break into a bigger brand of football if you want to call it that

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, 3_n_out said:

If this is the way, so be it. We can’t compete financially, so we need alternative methods. I mean, we’re in the AAC now. We have to be appealing to kids from other programs wanting to break into a bigger brand of football if you want to call it that

Bigger Brand of Football? We don't have a bigger brand of football compared to the places the players you want to attract would come from. I don't think the fans will be happy with the FCS and DII guys coming up a few levels. Please explain your bigger brand theory.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Okiefan said:

Bigger Brand of Football? We don't have a bigger brand of football compared to the places the players you want to attract would come from. I don't think the fans will be happy with the FCS and DII guys coming up a few levels. Please explain your bigger brand theory.

Just because they’re DII or FCS guys doesn’t mean they’re all bad. You will always have talented kids that end up there and would like the opportunity to level up. So, why not in the AAC which is a respectable conference compared to CUSA and the like. 

I’m not saying UNT itself is a “big brand” of football. However, playing in the AAC should be intriguing to them, and UNT should try to capitalize on that. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, 3_n_out said:

Just because they’re DII or FCS guys doesn’t mean they’re all bad. You will always have talented kids that end up there and would like the opportunity to level up. So, why not in the AAC which is a respectable conference compared to CUSA and the like. 

I’m not saying UNT itself is a “big brand” of football. However, playing in the AAC should be intriguing to them, and UNT should try to capitalize on that. 

I agree that the lower level guys are not all bad, others disagree. My point was that the fan base is not looking for that. They want the 4 star DFW guy coming back home, which is great, but that hasn't happened and won't without NIL.  A lot of the 2023 2-deep have been transfers that have moved up and down levels. Almost all of them have not been good enough in the eyes of the fan base. 

• Upvote 2

It seems to me we’ve done okay in the portal:

Chandler Roger

Ayo Adeyi

Jay Maclin

Mazin Richards

Noah Rauschenberg 

Trey Cleveland

Ethan Miner

No doubt I’m overlooking some players.

We are identifying people who can help the team, we just need more of them.

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, Jdawg48 said:

Guess we really are a stepping stone football program In Pain GIF by MOODMAN

This could basically be said for every G5 program. Even at the FPS level many of the stars from the highest ranked teams are transferring out. Not saying it's right or wrong but money has taken over the game and players will move for the chance to make money regardless to whether or not they will get playing time. Combine n i l with transfer rules that are a joke( how many players are on their third or fourth School without ever having to sit out). While it is hard to put rules in place to control an NIL money they need to look at the transfers. In my opinion players should get one free transfer whether it is as a undergraduate or a graduate. It will also be nice when these covid exception years run out. Seems like every team has sixth or 7th year players on their squad.

43 minutes ago, Jdawg48 said:

As of now we still have Adaway, Ragsdale, Johnson, Farrar, and the commits.

I understood that Adaway went through the senior day ceremonies, so I don't think he is planning on returning. Team bonding and building any kind of culture will be almost impossible in the portable era. Hodge is trying to do it by bring in the right kind of kids that will buy in to the system but it's a lot easier to do with basketball due to the numbers. 

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, HelixGMG said:

Losing Adeyi sucks, but luckily running back is the easiest position to replace.

I'm not sure I would say that running back is the easiest position to replace as much as I would say that I absolutely believe in the ability of Coach Cobbs to build up and prepare our running backs room no matter who he has to work with.

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

I'm not sure I would say that running back is the easiest position to replace as much as I would say that I absolutely believe in the ability of Coach Cobbs to build up and prepare our running backs room no matter who he has to work with.

Well said.

13 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

You know what also happens in the business world?  They give you various benefits like, tuition reimbursement, etc. because they have invested in you.  Then, typically, if you leave before some specified time, you are required to pay back the investment.

You know what else they say in the business world?  People don't leave jobs, they leave bosses.  We only have the lens of social media posts (and some occasional "inside" information) to go on, so we really don't know what's going on behind closed doors. 

• Upvote 2