Boise State fires head coach

Travis

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I know that. I’m saying they had a string of successful coaches that were hired away that built on top of what their predecessors had done. Unless you inject your program  with T Boone type money to fast track things, it is a crap shoot on your hires until you find the success that Boise did with coaches being hired away.

I’d chalk their success up to smart AD’s scheduling pansies to create a winning culture. But they have always had a low tolerance of losing. 

39 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Serious question because I don’t know and I guess you may not either depending upon how long you’ve lived there.  Have they always had those expectations or did the higher expectations come with the success they found under Peterson?  

I have been here for just over ten years. The attitude and expectation of a winning culture came before Peterson. It was in the late 90’s with Koetter and Hawkins. But what is certain is they lose their minds easily when they don’t win and will run a coach out. 
It is very interesting to me… because outside of a good solid local support with fan engagement (which we could only dream of)…. I can’t get past how bad their facilities are. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Travis said:

I have been here for just over ten years. The attitude and expectation of a winning culture came before Peterson. It was in the late 90’s with Koetter and Hawkins. But what is certain is they lose their minds easily when they don’t win and will run a coach out. 
It is very interesting to me… because outside of a good solid local support with fan engagement (which we could only dream of)…. I can’t get past how bad their facilities are. 

Is it too soon to champion their behavior/expectations?

Their incredible run of success was during an era that was wildly different than the NIL/portal era.  It's not ancient lore by any means, but NIL and the portal have changed things so drastically, it might mean we are watching the end of their run, and no amount of screaming from their fanbase can change that.  Maybe they're doomed until they up their spending? Or simply luck into a good hire?

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Their incredible run of success was during an era that was wildly different than the NIL/portal era.  It's not ancient lore by any means, but NIL and the portal have changed things so drastically, it might mean we are watching the end of their run, and no amount of screaming from their fanbase can change that.  Maybe they're doomed until they up their spending? Or simply luck into a good hire?

Well they did win ten games just last year and were Mountain West Runners up. They have also picked up a pair of their highest rated recruits in history for this upcoming signing period. I wouldn’t say they are out of gas just yet. 

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Not only Peterson but the guys before him like Hawkins and Koetter.

Excellent point.  I was thinking there was someone before Peterson, but I couldn’t think of his name and didn’t bother to research.  It was Hawkins I was thinking of.  I forgot that their success started under Koetter.

I do think it’s an interesting question:  Did success bring expectations or did expectations bring success?

3 hours ago, Travis said:

Boise doesn’t have that much money. 🤷🏻‍♂️
and their facilities are crap compared to ours. 
what they do have is a rabid fan base that doesn’t accept mediocrity and they have had that for the last two decades. 

Boise is still a known "brand".  Not as successful recently but many remember the long period they were.  If they were in a larger media market in a different part of the country they probably would have got a sniff from the Big12.  I see Boise as similar to Oregon State and Washington State:  good programs, just in remote locations.

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

I don't think so. 

With a home run hire and the sort of fan support that justifies these expectations and hard decisions... I wouldn't be surprised if they're the next Boise State. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

According to Wikipedia they have a 483-180-2 all time record good for a winning percentage of 73%. They've pretty much won and have had success in every level of football from the start so that community is used to winning. If there's a reason why they don't tolerate losing it's not that hard seeing why. They also have one of the more memorable bowl game win in the past couple of a decades with that win over Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. That game and so many of those plays are etched in people's brains so they just have the perception that we could have only dream of having.

We've never had any sort of success that Boise has had the last few decades and that matters. And no I don't think being part of a large metroplex hurts us like many on here have said because if we have these same results being in a small/rural town people still won't show up to a terrible product. Instead of talking about the continously bad product on the field, we have posters on here that routinely talk about blaming & alienating the arts programs and their students and what color hair they may have where as I took several business and sciences courses and they like everyone else didn't give a rip about NT athletics. It's a culture & results issue...can it be changed? Absolutely yes. It's just going to take some luck in having a few good coaches that has that it and winning factor and start to change things around here.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Green Mean said:

According to Wikipedia they have a 483-180-2 all time record good for a winning percentage of 73%. They've pretty much won and have had success in every level of football from the start so that community is used to winning. If there's a reason why they don't tolerate losing it's not that hard seeing why. They also have one of the more memorable bowl game win in the past couple of a decades with that win over Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. That game and so many of those plays are etched in people's brains so they just have the perception that we could have only dream of having.

We've never had any sort of success that Boise has had the last few decades and that matters. And no I don't think being part of a large metroplex hurts us like many on here have said because if we have these same results being in a small/rural town people still won't show up to a terrible product. Instead of talking about the continously bad product on the field, we have posters on here that routinely talk about blaming & alienating the arts programs and their students and what color hair they may have where as I took several business and sciences courses and they like everyone else didn't give a rip about NT athletics. It's a culture & results issue...can it be changed? Absolutely yes. It's just going to take some luck in having a few good coaches that has that it and winning factor and start to change things around here.

Hayden Fry was unable to change our culture and neither has anyone since his departure.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 hours ago, RBP79 said:

Miss State fired their FIRST full YEAR HFC (Zach Arnett) who won a bowl last year but is 4/6 this year.

One off scenario. They only fired him because they were forced to hire someone on staff last year. It is not good optics to fire the entire staff because the head coach dies. This year they can conduct an actual search for Leach’s replacement.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

One off scenario. They only fired him because they were forced to hire someone on staff last year. It is not good optics to fire the entire staff because the head coach dies. This year they can conduct an actual search for Leach’s replacement.

The Miss St. AD is also new, and AD's like their own "guy"....

unless you are A$M's AD then your own guy you hired gets fired 2 years after you guarantee him a 10-year deal. 

I think the A$M AD should be given exit papers too!

12 hours ago, wardly said:

Hayden Fry was unable to change our culture and neither has anyone since his departure.

Hayden Fry hasn't been here for 45 years. Life and times are vastly different now. The fan base that lived through those Fry years can't keep on having the barometer of what Fry did or didn't do and think things are the same today. As I previously said, there's apathy here because there just hasn't been very much to be proud about and cheer about when it comes to NT Football in my opinion.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

20 minutes ago, Green Mean said:

Hayden Fry hasn't been here for 45 years. Life and times are vastly different now. The fan base that lived through those Fry years can't keep on having the barometer of what Fry did or didn't do and think things are the same today. As I previously said, there's apathy here because there just hasn't been very much to be proud about and cheer about when it comes to NT Football in my opinion.

Coach Fry showed that NT could win.   It still can.  He also did change the culture of the program and modernized it.  It produced a lot of excitement for students, fans, and Denton. 

We have a lot to be proud of in NT Football.  We have a beautiful football stadium and indoor practice facility.  We have advanced in football conferences up to the AAC.    Ask La Tech, Marshall, App State, etc if they would trade places.

• Puking Eagle 1

9 hours ago, NT80 said:

Coach Fry showed that NT could win.   It still can.  He also did change the culture of the program and modernized it.  It produced a lot of excitement for students, fans, and Denton. 

We have a lot to be proud of in NT Football.  We have a beautiful football stadium and indoor practice facility.  We have advanced in football conferences up to the AAC.    Ask La Tech, Marshall, App State, etc if they would trade places.

I wasn't really speaking of the facilities and those areas that we have made strides in to at least catch up. I was mainly speaking of on the field results. If fans, students, casual Denton residents go to games and continue to see losses and more times than not being an butt whipping then it's not going to be good and make them want to keep on coming back. As I've been saying we just haven't had the kind of sustained success some of these other programs have had and that's why we continue to have apathy. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

22 hours ago, wardly said:

Had he stayed he just might have. But he would have had to acquire more influential/powerful people like Rex Cauble. Jitter Nolan ran interference for him so that he didn't have to fight with the NT bureaucracy on a daily basis. But I'm guessing it still took its toll on him.

SO, when Iowa came calling and offered him the opportunity of a lifetime with none of the institutional aggravation that North Texas always presented, he made a no-brainer decision.  After all, who wants to deal with the institutional Borg on a daily basis?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

Had he stayed he just might have. But he would have had to acquire more influential/powerful people like Rex Cauble. Jitter Nolan ran interference for him so that he didn't have to fight with the NT bureaucracy on a daily basis. But I'm guessing it still took its toll on him.

SO, when Iowa came calling and offered him the opportunity of a lifetime with none of the institutional aggravation that North Texas always presented, he made a no-brainer decision.  After all, who wants to deal with the institutional Borg on a daily basis?

Didn't Rex go to prison for dealing drugs? Plus Jitter nearly did for siphoning restricted funds to the Athletic Department. I think Hayen got out while the getting was good. Additionally football attendance averaged about 13,000  per game so no one was beating down the door to support the program despite his best efforts.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, wardly said:

Didn't Rex go to prison for dealing drugs?

It appears so.

At age 67, Cauble became infamous when he was indicted under suspicion that he was bankrolling what was "reportedly the largest marijuana smuggling operation in Texas during the '70s."[3] A U.S. Attorney "labeled the dapper 67-year-old Denton, Texas, millionaire a 'general' in the 'Cowboy Mafia' of drug smugglers".[4] Members of the Cowboy Mafia were "caught in the seizure of a shrimp boat carrying 22 tons of high-grade Colombian marijuana to Port Arthur, Texas."[4] Many people who knew Cauble believed his ranch foreman Charles "Muscles" Foster had deceived Cauble and was the real leader of the smuggling operation.[3]

Cauble was indicted on a total of ten counts including three violations of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations statute (RICO), three violations of the Travel Act and four counts of misapplication of bank funds.[2][5] In 1982, the jury convicted him on all counts. The trial judge sentenced Cauble to serve concurrent five-year sentences for each count and ordered forfeiture of his share in Cauble Enterprises.[5][6] After serving five years, Cauble was released from prison based on a combination of time served and good conduct.[7] Cauble pleaded innocent to the charges[4] and maintained his innocence until the day he died.[7][8]

I'll have to adjust my statement to " But he would have had to acquire more influential/powerful people like Rex Cauble.......who were not under indictment."

1 hour ago, wardly said:

Didn't Rex go to prison for dealing drugs? Plus Jitter nearly did for siphoning restricted funds to the Athletic Department. I think Hayen got out while the getting was good. Additionally football attendance averaged about 13,000  per game so no one was beating down the door to support the program despite his best efforts.

There is a movie coming out regarding the Cauble Cowboy Mafia.

• Upvote 2