Rogers

mgfan

33 minutes ago, Marty said:

Rogers has been fantastic. Is this the result of having a QB coach? 

I think it's the result of having a qb. We previously had a baseball player, a sprinter, a linebacker, and an undersized TE playing behind center.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

13 hours ago, MeanGreen13 said:

I think it's the result of having a qb. We previously had a baseball player, a sprinter, a linebacker, and an undersized TE playing behind center.

To be fair Jason Bean is absolutely balling for Kansas right now. Just upset OU.

That's more of an indictment on Littrell and his lack of quality QB coaching after Harrell left. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

In that game, Bean was 15 for 32 with 2 picks and no TDs.  2 attempted 2-point conversions, both incomplete.  You and I have a very different bar set for "absolutely balling."

Statistically he's horrible, but he's winning. Consistency is thrown completely out the window but he's making 2-3 plays a game that make the difference. Definitely bad phrasing lol. After I posted that, thinking after beating OU he must be doing pretty well, I checked his stats and they're terrible. But, Kansas is 6-2 and just beat #6 OU. Something's working 

the breakfast club rebel GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Statistically he's horrible, but he's winning. Consistency is thrown completely out the window but he's making 2-3 plays a game that make the difference. Definitely bad phrasing lol. After I posted that, thinking after beating OU he must be doing pretty well, I checked his stats and they're terrible. But, Kansas is 6-2 and just beat #6 OU. Something's working 

Since Lance Leipold arrived in Lawrence, he has done arguably the best coaching job in all of college football.  Since KU's actual starter and far better QB went down with an injury, Bean has been pretty good.  But Bean's not in the same stratosphere as, say, Chandler Rogers.  Put Rogers in that game against OU, and KU wins by 2 TDs.

• Upvote 2

On 10/28/2023 at 6:29 PM, UNTcrazy727 said:

He’s better than Fine

I was going to make a thread about this very opinion after last week's game vs Tulane. 

I hesitated to. And I will hesitate to outright state it. Fine has a body of work that speaks for itself. I didn't want recency bias to impede my opinion. I think we need to let the full 2 years play out of him starting to really pin it down. Rogers is certainly off to a good start. 

And to think, we are debating our current starting QB as potentially being the best QB in school history, and the staff started an FCS guy over him. It's worth the note due to how unbelievable it is. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

Bean has done decently with an absolutely loaded team. Great defense, great receivers, running backs, etc. It's honestly mainly been his job to just not screw it up which he has done periodically. For every 50 yard touchdown run is an equally boneheaded interception or overthrowing a wide open receiver. NGL, the defense, receivers managing to get 10 yards of separation, and running backs averaging almost 5 yards a carry won that game for us but he did make plays when he needed to so I have to give him his props.   

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I mean we are sitting in a gold mine of talent here in DFW and Texas.  Even Seth landed some good players with a very mediocre recruiting effort.  I think we should always be able to have a Fine or Rogers caliber QB in this program.   We just have to stop spending all our spots on high school players.  Those kids can leave after one year.  The transfers have to stay until they graduate.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

What are you trying to say about Bean? Is he a quality QB or not?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Since Lance Leipold arrived in Lawrence, he has done arguably the best coaching job in all of college football.  

Another program will steal him away and Kansas will be back on the bottom again soon enough.  It's what they do in football.  Basketball there is a different story.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Dentonborn79 said:

Been listening and attending games since Mitch Maher I believe.dont remember the qb for the smu victory at Fouts, I was excited about Mason Fine.I am uber excited about Rogers

Handful of games

Mason Fine - 2018 (Apogee) W

Woody Wilson - 2014 (Fouts) W

Josh Greer/Andrew McNulty - 2006 (Fouts) W

Ken Washington - 7-6 loss 1974 @ Texas Stadium

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/31/2023 at 2:59 PM, greenminer said:

What are you trying to say about Bean? Is he a quality QB or not?

On 10/31/2023 at 3:04 PM, MGNation92 said:

Quality? No

Talented enough to make a couple game breaking plays every week that affect the outcome? Definitely.

On 10/31/2023 at 9:39 AM, MGNation92 said:

To be fair Jason Bean is absolutely balling for Kansas right now. Just upset OU.

That's more of an indictment on Littrell and his lack of quality QB coaching after Harrell left. 

So is it also an indictment on Leipold and his lack of quality QB coaching?

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

So is it also an indictment on Leipold and his lack of quality QB coaching?

LAWRENCE — Kansas football coach Lance Leipold found himself addressing the injury status of junior quarterback Jalon Daniels again on Monday....

"And when Jalon Daniels is healthy Jalon is the starting quarterback, OK?”

In the games Daniels has missed, that redshirt senior quarterback Jason Bean has started, Kansas is 3-2. In the games Daniels has played and started in, Kansas is 3-0. Together, those marks have the Jayhawks at 6-2 overall — with a 3-2 mark against the Big 12 Conference.

https://www.cjonline.com/story/sports/college/hawk-zone/2023/11/01/kansas-football-lance-leipold-on-jalon-daniels-status-for-iowa-state/71380410007/

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, NT80 said:

LAWRENCE — Kansas football coach Lance Leipold found himself addressing the injury status of junior quarterback Jalon Daniels again on Monday....

"And when Jalon Daniels is healthy Jalon is the starting quarterback, OK?”

In the games Daniels has missed, that redshirt senior quarterback Jason Bean has started, Kansas is 3-2. In the games Daniels has played and started in, Kansas is 3-0. Together, those marks have the Jayhawks at 6-2 overall — with a 3-2 mark against the Big 12 Conference.

https://www.cjonline.com/story/sports/college/hawk-zone/2023/11/01/kansas-football-lance-leipold-on-jalon-daniels-status-for-iowa-state/71380410007/

I was being sarcastic.

On 10/28/2023 at 8:29 PM, UNTcrazy727 said:

He’s better than Fine

He's more protective of the ball, but part of what made Fine Fine was his ability to gun it into tight coverage. Rogers can do it too, but he's more selective.

I think what he brings to the table is what Fine brought to the table. Leadership. A guy that can elevate others to their full potential. I hope he's better than Fine just because he needs to be for this season to be a success. I haven't seen it yet but Roger's is close. He gets some upsets under his belt and I may consider him in the same convo as Mason Fine. I have full faith in Rogers and this offense and I think he should be in the convo with Fine, but he hasn't earned it yet.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1