Prosper looking to build most expensive high school stadium

32 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

My nephew is in their band. Each of the 400 members are expected to go out and raise $500 a piece...each year. The standard donation on the link they send starts at $50. It's just ridiculous at this point.

Might sound bad but this is why I've been voting no of my ISD's propositions. Just last year a $1.29 billion (with a b) bond was voted in and this year they're once again asking for more money. The excuse is that the construction from the bond from 4 or 5 years ago is complete so our taxes are going down so why not vote for another bond for a new project. Problem is, the bonds never end and we're constantly being harrased with fundraisers on top of the never-ending bonds.

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

High school stadiums are out of control and ridiculous.

We went through this with the Allen Stadium which was a newsworthy pricetag at the time.

What never got reported is that the stadium included multisport weight rooms, multisport facilities like wrestling rooms, a data center, etc. enabling converting the old facilities into classrooms.  It was essentially a high school expansion with seats on top, and quite economical when you consider that.

I would assume something similar is happening in Prosper, but I don't know for sure because it's easier to just report outrage vs a balanced view. 

Edited by DentonStang
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3

I didn't go to high school in Texas so I know I may sound like an outsider, but this level of madness just seems immature and misuse of CRUCIAL funds... What purpose will this be used for other than getting more butts in the stadium. 

In a state that desperately needs to improve funding and focus on high school academics, this just seems stereotypical and stupid

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, rojomojo said:

I didn't go to high school in Texas so I know I may sound like an outsider, but this level of madness just seems immature and misuse of CRUCIAL funds... What purpose will this be used for other than getting more butts in the stadium. 

In a state that desperately needs to improve funding and focus on high school academics, this just seems stereotypical and stupid

If you ever own a house in Texas, you are taxed. We have ridiculous property taxes here, but that's a conversation for another day. Part of those taxes go to the local school district. Prosper has had an influx of wealthy people. Therefore, the tax base has grown.

If there are not enough funds to build a stadium, the community would vote to issue a Municipal Bond to fund the stadium.

It's funny that you mention academics when you forgot to end your sentence with a period.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, DentonStang said:

We went through this with the Allen Stadium which was a newsworthy pricetag at the time.

What never got reported is that the stadium included multisport weight rooms, multisport facilities like wrestling rooms, a data center, etc. enabling converting the old facilities into classrooms.  It was essentially a high school expansion with seats on top, and quite economical when you consider that.

I would assume something similar is happening in Prosper, but I don't know for sure because it's easier to just report outrage vs a balanced view. 

Nothing in hs athletics is worth 100m. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Keith7 said:

It will be interesting to see what happens to it in 10 years when we have the voucher system put in place and their school district is on the brink of bankruptcy. 

Great point!

But hey, everyone’s doing it. Look at the Fed. 33,000,000,000,000 (trillion) in debt and still printing and spending money. Local governments spending millions on highway landscaping when they lack the resources to pick up the trash on some of those highways. Some resemble a 3rd world nation. 
Football conferences insanely spreading their membership from coast to coast acting as if the cost is nothing. This insanity is everywhere but it won’t last. It’s all going to collapse, and soon. Plain stupidity. Greed. We all will pay. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

30 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

Wealthy, white enclave public schools aren't going anywhere. 

Hmmm, I suppose that everyone thought that about the original "white Flight" school district...Plano. Who is now losing student population....Plano ISD considering closing schools as student enrollment declines (fox4news.com)

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

42 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Hmmm, I suppose that everyone thought that about the original "white Flight" school district...Plano. Who is now losing student population....Plano ISD considering closing schools as student enrollment declines (fox4news.com)

And Frisco closed some after a bond issue failed only to keep opening up new schools later on. Plano closing a few because of demographic changes doesn't mean the entire ISD is shutting down. 

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Plano is not a "white flight" district.  Flight means "leaving".  My wife attended Dallas Carter; that was a white flight area.  The majority of Plano's early growth (1960's-70's) was from out-of-state move-ins before that was popular.   Transplants came for jobs at Texas Instruments, Collins Radio, Vent-a-hood, etc.  Plano now is simply built-out (no more land) and as the population gets older there are less children for the schools.   

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, NT80 said:

Plano is not a "white flight" district.  Flight means "leaving".  My wife attended Dallas Carter; that was a white flight area.  The majority of Plano's early growth (1960's-70's) was from out-of-state move-ins before that was popular.   Transplants came for jobs at Texas Instruments, Collins Radio, Vent-a-hood, etc.  Plano now is simply built-out (no more land) and as the population gets older there are less children for the schools.   

He obviously meant the original destination of 'White Flight.' Plano was built out from all the white's flying out of Dallas and that is a true statement. 

Population gets old, but the house values are still rising and there are less kids to spend that tax money on. Therefore it seems like they will have more to spend per child and can build even larger stadiums. Doesn't sound like closing of schools will affect any of the affluence Plano ISD has. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

He obviously meant the original destination of 'White Flight.' Plano was built out from all the white's flying out of Dallas and that is a true statement. 

Population gets old, but the house values are still rising and there are less kids to spend that tax money on. Therefore it seems like they will have more to spend per child and can build even larger stadiums. Doesn't sound like closing of schools will affect any of the affluence Plano ISD has. 

Yep. And it's just a steady dance north. I'm from East Dallas, have lived in Frisco now for 17 years.... Frisco has completely changed since I've been here and is at that "almost built out" phase Plano was at 20 years ago. Slowly, Prosper has become the next frontier, and after that it'll be Celina. Eventually, Plano becomes Richardson, Frisco becomes Plano, and so on.... 

• Upvote 3