North Texas Loses to FIU - How Dire is the Situation in Denton

Meangreen Fight

If you can I want people to go to this video and imagine they are speaking of a head coach and coaching staff until about minute 11:25.  Where do we go from here? I think if this is year 2, starting off like this you have to fire him.   The QB waffling is disturbingly idiotic.  So many shortcomings of this team can be directly attributed to the coaching.   I don’t even fault them for the poor tackling.   Everything but the pure effort on the field is coaching.  And now with the transfer portal first year coaches shouldn’t get as much leeway when it comes to not having to talent on par with the middle of their conference.  We can’t fire him after year one.  But his job and the AD’s job should be open come mid/late September 2024 next year if they come out remotely looking like they have these first 2 games.

• Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

Morris literally has set this program back several years and I'll be surprised if he fires anyone during the season. Mosely want do anything.

Appears another lost season.Too bad.

This shouldn’t take a couple years to fix. If these same guys were in a CUSA title game a year ago, then we should simply address this as coaching.

We’ve been down this path before (defensively) with Mendoza. Personally, I don’t want to wait more games for more evidence. I’ve seen enough. I want these players to know we love them, we are fighting together for wins.  I would do something now. Stop the bleeding. Reassign Caponi, give the interim position to Jennings, and find a guy that can help us with a 4man front.

i still want to give Morris a chance. Switching to Rogers impressed me yesterday. It means he’s willing to step away from his commitments/mindset if it isn’t working, and try something new.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

48 minutes ago, greenminer said:

This shouldn’t take a couple years to fix. If these same guys were in a CUSA title game a year ago, then we should simply address this as coaching.

We’ve been down this path before (defensively) with Mendoza. Personally, I don’t want to wait more games for more evidence. I’ve seen enough. I want these players to know we love them, we are fighting together for wins.  I would do something now. Stop the bleeding. Reassign Caponi, give the interim position to Jennings, and find a guy that can help us with a 4man front.

i still want to give Morris a chance. Switching to Rogers impressed me yesterday. It means he’s willing to step away from his commitments/mindset if it isn’t working, and try something new.

I also want to give Morris a chance and hope he can make the necessary adjustments and changes. But I hope he learns quickly and doesn't wait like Seth to find himself a good defensive coordinator and turn that side of the ball over to him. That seems to be the common theme with air raid coaches, almost giving the perception that I can outscore anyone else as long as I have an average defense. The problem right now is our defense is way below average.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Well I am done for this year football season, won't be back for a game.  Always hope next year will be better but it does not get much worse than this.  I sure coach mumbles is laughing but I put some of it on him and  failure to recruit players to play at this label.    I hear them say it is hard at UNT.  It cant be any worse than any most cities in the country.  There is something deeper.   I know we cant pay the players like most other teams.  It is this is how it is going to be might well drop football or drop down.   This is pathetic , if we dont have a new DC coordinator by next season I wont be returning next season.  This is Benford bad.  

See you guys at the Pit. 

Couldn't have said it better myself. This is exactly how I feel.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

57 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Well I am done for this year football season, won't be back for a game.  Always hope next year will be better but it does not get much worse than this.  I sure coach mumbles is laughing but I put some of it on him and  failure to recruit players to play at this label.    I hear them say it is hard at UNT.  It cant be any worse than any most cities in the country.  There is something deeper.   I know we cant pay the players like most other teams.  It is this is how it is going to be might well drop football or drop down.   This is pathetic , if we dont have a new DC coordinator by next season I wont be returning next season.  This is Benford bad.  

See you guys at the Pit. 

I need to reiterate:  52-14 when we played FIU last year under Littrell.

There were reasons for Littrell to be let go.  Mainly, his inability to motivate his team to be better than .500, or get up for big games.  But I don’t think any of us were concerned with him losing to a team like FIU… ever.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

See you guys at the Pit. 

Don’t forget you can now exchange football game tickets in for a basketball game.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, southsideguy said:

See you guys at the Pit. 

This season is lost.  With Dodge, we knew after game 1 we were in trouble.  OU could have put a 100 on us that day without blinking.  You are right, this season is over.  This is Benford bad.  Sadly, it will take years to right what this year will do to do this program.  If you can't stop the other offense, it doesn't matter how many points you can score.  Blows my mind how we just continue to hire the wrong up and comer hire after hire after hire in football.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

it doesn't have to be this way.

At schools dedicated to winning, I would agree with you.  But not at UNT.  I can't figure it out, but it's been this way for so long.  It's why I think we should drop football and pour all of our money into basketball.  I don't think Gonzaga fans sit around and wish they had football.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

How dire is the situation?  Well, we are talking about a coaching change 2 games into his first year....

Serious In Love GIF by Searchlight Pictures

We, the fans are talking about it, but administration is not discussing this.  Heck the moderators here took down a thread about it.  We could go 0-12 or 1-11 and he won't be fired.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

We, the fans are talking about it, but administration is not discussing this.  Heck the moderators here took down a thread about it.  We could go 0-12 or 1-11 and he won't be fired.  

It would cost too much to fire someone after 1 year of a longer deal, even if Morris isn’t highly paid. This ain’t SMU where alums can write checks to get rid of coaches, get into conferences, and pay for players.

If you want to get the best idea going forward, it’s for the program to honestly see if it can do anything in the next 3 years under Morris and if it can’t, like we are Dodge 2.0 again and we win like 6 games in the next three years, I think we need to seriously ask ourselves if FBS is in our best interests. 

We moved up in 1995, not because we wanted to win, but because we could make more whoring out ourselves. Then, as the university grew and we could get students to pay for the stadium and majority of the program’s funding, we moved up budget-wise to a nice G5 program. But it just doesn’t translate on the field. 6 winning seasons out of 28 seasons. Maybe FCS in today’s environment would just be better for us. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

These are not the same guys. They left.

• Eye Roll 1

22 minutes ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

It's why I think we should drop football and pour all of our money into basketball.

We don't even have to drop football.  Get a guy that will coach the option.  Low risk, good ROI.  You don't need to dump tons of money into it, and you'll probably get 5-8 wins/year.  rock steady.

Spend all that extra dough on making a F4 run in MBB.  Watch our brand SOAR.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

29 minutes ago, greenminer said:

We don't even have to drop football.  Get a guy that will coach the option.  Low risk, good ROI.  You don't need to dump tons of money into it, and you'll probably get 5-8 wins/year.  rock steady.

Spend all that extra dough on making a F4 run in MBB.  Watch our brand SOAR.

Please, please, please this. I've been advocating for exactly this for a long time. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Please, please, please this. I've been advocating for exactly this for a long time. 

Have you guys gone outside recently and noticed how hot it is?  That's because we are in Texas, not the North East.

Athletics is more or less used for advertising and fund raising.  Here in Texas that is predicated on football success. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

11 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Oh yeah? How's all that working out?

MBB has been on a tear, and it's been... nice.   We got some local media coverage, especially for the NCAA Tourney win. 

The same success in football would bring 10x the attention.  Can you imagine what would happen if we got an expanded CFP spot?  It would be a huge story.  Donations would explode. 

I am a fan of basketball, I want a baseball team, but I know the only thing that is going to drive attention and donations in a big big way is football. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1