GMG Report: Jace Ruder taking Reps at Linebacker

TheReal_jayD

I remember Iowa St did this with Joel Lanning. He was their starting QB for a few seasons and then he switched to LB. Joel had success at LB  with 117 tackles his Senior year. The Cowboys signed him as an undrafted FA. While he didn’t make the team, he did have a successful college career. This could be a good move for Jace. He has the athleticism and smarts to play on defense. I applaud the staff for making the move, and Jace stepping up to fulfill a team need. Should I say it shows selflessness, toughness, and discipline?

https://cyclones.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/joel-lanning/1595

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Lanning

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Jace Ruder, the former North Texas starting quarterback, has recently been taking reps at the linebacker position. Standing at 6'2" and weighing 222 lbs, Ruder possesses the size and athleticism that could make him a valuable addition to the defensive side of the field. It is worth noting that he might not be available for the upcoming game in Miami due to the birth of his child. This development is reminiscent of Gary Patterson's successful strategy at TCU, where he had a knack for identifying athletic quarterbacks and transitioning them into linebackers. It will be interesting to see how Ruder's potential transition to linebacker progresses in the future.

500031B3-0D07-4A2D-B53C-BFBD4211FD3F.jpeg

Well, better this than sitting on the bench and not being able to contribute anything toward the success of the team. I still think he has the best physical attributes (strong arm with the quickest release, good size and the best runner when he decided to scramble) of any of the spring candidates.

Gary Patterson did not develop this guy, but he did play LB at TCU AFTER a very successful HS career where he was a state ranked QB.....at Bridgeport HS.

Kyle Clifton - Wikipedia

I believe that Brad Kassel was an outstanding QB at Llano. Seems like Brad did pretty well at LB here.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

30 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Jace Ruder, the former North Texas starting quarterback, has recently been taking reps at the linebacker position. Standing at 6'2" and weighing 222 lbs, Ruder possesses the size and athleticism that could make him a valuable addition to the defensive side of the field. It is worth noting that he might not be available for the upcoming game in Miami due to the birth of his child. This development is reminiscent of Gary Patterson's successful strategy at TCU, where he had a knack for identifying athletic quarterbacks and transitioning them into linebackers. It will be interesting to see how Ruder's potential transition to linebacker progresses in the future.

500031B3-0D07-4A2D-B53C-BFBD4211FD3F.jpeg

I saw a number 6 jersey with Ruder on the back down at the defensive sideline against Cal, but thought we might have a different Ruder on the team.  Good for him. 

You can’t say enough good things about Jace Ruder. The young man never complains, he just keeps putting in work and making the best of his situation. While I disagree strongly with him being dropped to 3rd on the QB depth chart (as I agree with @SilverEagle’s assessment if his talent), I’m glad he is doing all he can to see the field.

It is strange how some are talking about his great athleticism while that was the excuse used to put Rogers above him but oh well I guess. Regardless, @NWKGREENraised an amazing example of a team player.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...