Map of AAC expansion following merge with PAC4 plus couple of MWC teams

2 hours ago, outoftown said:

Its not impossible this happens (I don't think it is super likely though).

But I would assume the MWC schools would only join in 25, not in 24.

Why not add Utah St. as well and have 3 pods of 7;  Pacific Coast, Southwest and East Coast. Each team would play 3 home, 3 away within their pod and 1 game from each of the other 2 pods, 1 home and 1 away. Each school would only have to make one cross country trip per year in football.
For the conf championship you could take three division winners with the best record receiving a bye. Another option is to have pods with no divisions and the two best conference records play for the conf championship.

• Upvote 2

I don't see how the PAC 4 can cherry pick the MWC with their $34 million penalty to leave. However they could cherry pick the AAC with their $10 million penalty which would probably leave us out. Just a guess, but the only reason we were invited into the AAC was a hedge against SMU leaving. However if the PAC 4 raids the AAC for 6 to 8 schools I just don't see us as one of them. I would rather go back to the Sun Belt than CUSA.

• Upvote 2
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

I don't see how the PAC 4 can cherry pick the MWC with their $34 million penalty to leave. However they could cherry pick the AAC with their $10 million penalty which would probably leave us out. Just a guess, but the only reason we were invited into the AAC was a hedge against SMU leaving. However if the PAC 4 raids the AAC for 6 to 8 schools I just don't see us as one of them. I would rather go back to the Sun Belt than CUSA.

I seriously doubt they will kick anyone out.  They are already preparing for law suits.  I sense public sentiment on all this is starting to worry them.  And what about tge student athletes having to travel from coast to coast to play?  That’s BS!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wardly said:

Man, you’ve just evolved into a ray of sunshine in the last year or two. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, wardly said:

The AAC is only $10m to leave, but has like a 27 month give-notice provision to announce leaving, thus you're looking at now joining for the 2026 season!  Lol

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, NT80 said:

The AAC is only $10m to leave, but has like a 27 month give-notice provision to announce leaving, thus you're looking at now joining for the 2026 season!  Lol

That can be negotiated. Says so even in the bylaws. however that means exit fee for 25 (PAC4 schools NEED it to be 24) would be more like 20 million. It was for the three Big12 defectors... and those gave a longer notice (21 months actually) than these defectors would be giving. Here it would only be 11 months or even less. Aresco would have plenty of reason to say he wants more than what those 3 paid.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

I believe most exit fees are paid or negotiated to be paid over time instead of a lump sum amount.  I think Houston, UCF and Cincinnati are paying theirs over 14 years or something, so these exit fees are not a onerous as you would think if the annual benefit far exceeds the annual exit fee commitment. 

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 1

So I read that the Presidents of the PAC 12 members turned down $30 million per school and told ESPN they wanted $50 million even though USC and UCLA had left. The BIG 12 jumped in front of them and took the $30 million. With Texas and Oklahoma departing the conference recognized their true value while the PAC 12 Presidents did not. After that ESPN was no longer interested in the PAC 12.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, wardly said:

After that ESPN was no longer interested in the PAC 12.

But is that as much an indictment of the Pac12 or just a lack of interest out west with those late games and travel.  Also seemed like during covid the Pac12 teams dropped out of games and seasons the quickest which probably damaged their value in the eyes of ESPN.

• Upvote 1

On 8/13/2023 at 11:58 PM, NT80 said:

And utsa is giving most their monies to their head football coach along with his 10 year contract, their AD & their school president.  Doesn’t take long for a school to empty its coffers.
Still it’s like Cush’ told Jerry Maguire: “I just want to play some football!”

Sept. 2••3:00pm••DATCU••Stadium

On 8/14/2023 at 9:19 AM, cousin oliver said:

But is that as much an indictment of the Pac12 or just a lack of interest out west with those late games and travel.  Also seemed like during covid the Pac12 teams dropped out of games and seasons the quickest which probably damaged their value in the eyes of ESPN.

From what I read high school participation has dropped in California as well as attendance at college football games.The straw that broke the camels back for the PAC 12 was when the presidents decided that their conference was worth BIG 10 money and turned down BIG 12 money. Wrong.