PAC 12 Realignment Talk Mega Thread (All 12 threads merged)

I hope that we're not a part of the Pacific 4 and rely on revenue from Apple Streaming.  I'd much rather stay in the AAC get TV revenue from ESPN.  I'd hate to lose Rice, Tulane, and SMU (there I said it) but that's their decisions.  We might be able to get Air Force,  Colorado State and maybe New Mexico or Army to fill us back up.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, keith said:

The AAC better make moves before the MWC does.

What moves can AAC make? At best you could possibly land UNM right now? Otherwise the rest are hoping for something to come from the PAC fall out.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, rws69 said:

Zach Ballard writing for SB Nation suggested that Mountain West would dissolve, with six stronger programs (AF, Boise, Colo State, Fresno, SDSU, and UNLV) joining the Pac 12 remnants. The problem would be getting nine votes to dissolve with six of the twelve left hanging. 

No way PAC schools would seek to offer 7 MWC programs membership at this time.  Maybe in 10 months, but they will wait to see what other options appear  first.

And no way Apple would pay 20 mil per school for MWC move ups to join PAC.  

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

It goes from 34M to 17M after '24 I believe. Still a significant amount even after being cut in half. Pair that with not knowing what a new conference deal would look like it's unlikely the MWC schools budge. 

Add that the PAC owes 50 million to comcast. If the conference folds in 2024 likely all schools are evenly responsible for this. if it doesn't i would assume the remaining and new teams are left holding the bag.

• Upvote 2

Mike Aresco is working behind the scenes… 

MWC has also signaled to the PAC that they are open to a merger.

Thankfully the AAC has the type of elite educational-focused schools Stanford and Cal want to be associated with and the Texas recruiting & TV markets. 🙏🏼

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

that may happen but what type of deal will ESPN give the PAC now with the remaining teams?  Will it be any better than the mountain west of the AAC?  Hey invite Stanford, they will have SMU, RICE , Tulane to comfort their wounds in the AAC.  interesting we heard all the teams that wanted to join the pac 12 from MWC and ACC but we dont hear if they are still interested.

Oregon State, Washington State, CAL and Stanford are left three of the four are the lower teams in the conference.  The only team I even remember seeing on TV is Stanford. Well maybe if they take some of our teams and MWC teams we could get a Bosie State, AFA,CSU

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, C Rod said:

Thankfully the AAC has the type of elite educational-focused schools Stanford and Cal want to be associated with and the Texas recruiting & TV markets. 🙏🏼

I think this would be ideal for us. Would rather have sdsu than Oregon state or Washington state but I know they would not get out of their contract with MW to join the AAC. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Victorygreen04 said:

I think this would be ideal for us. Would rather have sdsu than Oregon state or Washington state but I know they would not get out of their contract with MW to join the AAC. 

Agree. In an ideal world, if going west, it’d be Stanford, Cal, SDSU, UNLV, Colorado State, and AFA. This would add substantial markets, solid programs, and keep travel more reasonable than asking Rice and UTSA to fly up to Washington State and Oregon State for games. 

That said, I think we’re in the “strengthen your conference at all costs” phase to not be left behind. So if we’re looking at the 4 remaining PAC schools joining the AAC rather than joining the MWC or poaching the top MWC and AAC schools, I’m all for it. 

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, C Rod said:

Saw this on Twitter and came to GMG just to see if it was getting talked about...  I like this a lot.

Surprised The Mask GIF

• Upvote 7

9 hours ago, NT80 said:

No way PAC schools would seek to offer 7 MWC programs membership at this time.  Maybe in 10 months, but they will wait to see what other options appear  first.

And no way Apple would pay 20 mil per school for MWC move ups to join PAC.  

I wonder if they don't need the 7 MWC programs. Instead, 2 MWC schools who aren't part of the PAC's desired 6 see this as an opportunity to get out of the MWC themselves. They look at the current PAC4 as a lesson to not hold on hope thinking you're going to follow your peers. Instead of waiting for an invite that won't come and ending up with no conference, 2 MWC schools (say Nevada and UNM who both currently offer strong basketball programs or Utah State who also has a strong basketball and recent top 25 football rankings) also vote to cancel the exit fee and join the AAC giving us 16 football programs although an awkward 17 basketball programs.

The "lessor" 6 MWC should realize the writing is on the wall and they need to plan to get out before they end up like the PAC4 with an uncertain future.