PAC 12 Realignment Talk Mega Thread (All 12 threads merged)

The interesting thing in all this is the play seems to be extend invitations soon after losing teams. The Big 12, AAC, Sun Belt, and even CUSA didn’t wait long. The PAC took a wait and see approach and both their members and TV got antsy about it. Bit of a simplification and the PAC may have thought they were too high and mighty for G5 teams but if they add four right after the LA schools left, maybe it doesn’t come to this. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, wardly said:

Cal, Stanford, OSU and WSU. These 4 programs keep the PAC 12 alive and reload with programs from the MWC plus SMU. Lets give them SDSU, Fresno St. ,Colorado State, Boise St., AFA, UNLV, and Utah St. 

Not even half of those would be able to/want to pay their exit fees. I also don't think a lot of people realize that with OSU and WSU, you take away their current media deal money and they're AAC level schools. No reason to jump conferences for them.

• Upvote 1

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do think the MWC exit fee does change at a certain date.  So I think they will still have some interest from MWC schools like SDSU and UNLV.  Plus the conference still has their own Pac12 TV network, and can self stream.  Gonzaga is also an option

17 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do think the MWC exit fee does change at a certain date.  So I think they will still have some interest from MWC schools like SDSU and UNLV.  Plus the conference still has their own Pac12 TV network, and can self stream.  Gonzaga is also an option

It goes from 34M to 17M after '24 I believe. Still a significant amount even after being cut in half. Pair that with not knowing what a new conference deal would look like it's unlikely the MWC schools budge. 

11 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

It goes from 34M to 17M after '24 I believe. Still a significant amount even after being cut in half. Pair that with not knowing what a new conference deal would look like it's unlikely the MWC schools budge. 

It’s something like if you want to give a year’s notice, you have to give it before June 30th and it’s 17 million. After the date a year’s notice it is 34 mil. 
SDSU could’ve given notice after June 30th and paid 17 mil but they wouldn’t join until 2025. That’s my reading. 

Assuming, Arizona, Arizona St and Utah are gone too, that leaves four remaining in the PAC (Cal, Stanford, Oregon St. and Washington St.).  Not sure that's enough to rebuild around.  So assuming the PAC is dead and it just a matter of picking over the remaining carcasses, what's the next move for the AAC (if there is one)?  Do we get aggressive?  If the MWC is able to add 4 previously P5 schools (regardless of who they are IMHO), they would move decidedly up the totem pole.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, NT80 said:

No current P5 would volunteer to lose that status and go to a G5 conference.

Any G5 would volunteer to join any current P5 conference, even a dying PAC. 

You must’ve forgotten that the Big East was a “power” conference. For football it is now called the American athletic conference. The Pac12 is about the follow the exact same path. Houston, Memphis, UCF, and SMU all joined the “power conference” Big East for the 2013 season. They got just one season of “power conference” football and then back to g5 status. Joining the Pac would be a mistake. We need to build from what we have.

• Upvote 3